• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Rugby 23/24 - Round 12

Also the PIF outside of Blackrock and Uber don't do that much from what I gather outside sports
Fingers in Bp, Heathrow airport, Rocco Forte Hotels. The Balmoral Edinburgh (awesome hotel) Harrods. Plus others it's a tangled web

You can probably boycott all those things if you really wanted to make a stand.

I get your point but ultimately it takes itself apart. If the Saudis are involved in everything then we can't boycott everything that they're involved in can we, as at a point we've still got to be able to function, travel, etc.

But that doesn't mean we should like that they've got their hands in everything, nor does it mean that we shouldn't take a stance about them getting involved in the things that we absolutely can boycott such as sport/entertainment.
Your are absolutely correct...and i certainly dont like that their involved in everything.

Personally i think too much money in sport is spoiling it....its made a mockery of football these days...

Fingers in Bp, Heathrow airport, Rocco Forte Hotels. The Balmoral Edinburgh (awesome hotel) Harrods. Plus others it's a tangled web

Outside of BP or Heathrow they are very easy to "boycott".

I can boycott stuff that I can afford to boycott. If I need to fly out the country and Heathrow is the only affordable airport to fly from I will fly from it.

I can afford to not support a sports club, but if my car needs fuel I'm gonna have to fill it up and it's an argument I hate when people try to defend sportswashing.

Personally i think too much money in sport is spoiling it....it's made a mockery of football these days...

Ain't that the truth.

TBH if club rugby becomes a wallet arms race I'll find other things to do. Enough of the local 'club' element has already been lost. And if big money does come in to a couple of clubs, guess what others will try to do…..

Quite apart from the ethical aspects.

I think the last time I used any of those was Heathrow around 2010 (I think 2010 - lots of snow around Christmas).

I don't own a car, I use Ecotricity, and I avoid plastic where reasonably achievable - so I don't think my condemnation of oil barons is all that hypocritical. But yes, I still benefit from oil being burned to, for example, deliver my groceries - because there's not really an alternative that doesn't involve burning oil - but I can do what I can, with the knowledge I have (far from encyclopaedic).
Which includes not having a car, not having kids, and potentially, not supporting a sports team/league that is involved with despicable people (Dyson getting involved with Bath was a big negative for me, and he's several orders of magnitudes away from the Saudi state).

TBH if club rugby becomes a wallet arms race I'll find other things to do. Enough of the local 'club' element has already been lost. And if big money does come in to a couple of clubs, guess what others will try to do…..
First port of call personally, would be local club rugby. Find a more sustainable overseas team in an enjoyable league for a fix of the elite, and go watch Tewkesbury, and put a few quid behind the bar there for a weekly fix.

I don't watch or go and watch Premiership rugby anymore but let's be real here: the Saudis have invested in all other sports especially football and boxing and those sports are enjoying the benefits of that. Professional Rugby in England is completely on its arse and will probably disappear if something like this doesn't happen. As for the whole sports washing thing, yeah I get it but if no one else is prepared to invest in Rugby then what else are you going to do?

In an ideal world people would support there local and prem club. Yet in reality most follow England that's it, all you really reduce is the attendace at all ready struggling clubs.

I have friends who work for Saints. Boycotting things also impacts on jobs, and the local community. I am not sure they should also suffer because of a business decision. I know the local economy, community and people isn't the same level as issues in Saudi etc. I'm just having to pick the lesser of two evils.

Last edited:
but if no one else is prepared to invest in Rugby then what else are you going to do?
Watch amateur rugby; or professional rugby from a different country; or support clubs that doesn't associate with amongst the worst people that humanity currently has to offer.

Watch amateur rugby; or professional rugby from a different country; or support clubs that doesn't associate with amongst the worst people that humanity currently has to offer.
And to that I would say grow up. Singling out the Saudis when professional sport is riddled with dodgy money and sponsors is a bit silly. No one was moaning about TikTok sponsoring the woman's six nations despite the fact TikTok is owned by the Chinese communist party or that the sponsor replacing them and who currently sponsor the mens 6N makes alcoholic drinks which is a massive social problem all over the world.

So please spare me the pearl clutching.

So please spare me the pearl clutching.
No.

You're not obliged to agree, or to read my posts - but please allow me to hold, and express an opinion.

As far as I'm aware, neither TikTok, nor Guinness are actively perpetuating the destruction of this planet.
As far as I'm aware, neither TikTok, nor Guinness are actively perpetrating a genocide.
As far as I'm aware, neither TikTok, nor Guinness are slavers.

NB: As far as I'm aware, TikTok are not an arm of the Chinese government, who are actively perpetrating a genocide, and who I am perfectly happy to demonstrate against, and boycott from my entertainment.

Last edited:
No.

You're not obliged to agree, or to read my posts - but please allow me to hold, and express an opinion.

As far as I'm aware, neither TikTok, nor Guinness are actively perpetuating the destruction of this planet.
As far as I'm aware, neither TikTok, nor Guinness are actively perpetrating a genocide.
As far as I'm aware, neither TikTok, nor Guinness are slavers.

NB: As far as I'm aware, TikTok are not an arm of the Chinese government, who are actively perpetrating a genocide, and who I am perfectly happy to demonstrate against, and boycott from my entertainment.
TikTok is a Chinese company that's owned by the Chinese communist party (everything in China is) who are responsible for all 3 examples you listed but you're right, your opinion is your opinion and you more than entitled to it but you did respond to my post.

Last edited:
I don't see a thread for this weekend, so I'll post my pick here.

Gloucester > Exeter

1708137574004.png Cherry & White!

I don't see a thread for this weekend, so I'll post my pick here.

Gloucester > Exeter

View attachment 19020 Cherry & White!
It's the (poorly named) premiership cup this weekend:

It's the (poorly named) premiership cup this weekend:
Thank you. 👊

Looks like a deal is done with our neighbours owners...
What that means or entails....who knows...guess it'll come out soon.

Falcons to get ejected from the RFU?

Imagine there'll be calls for it
I don't see how they could.
Fans could boycott (and almost certainly will).
Clubs could concede matches without travelling, but almost certainly won't .

Personally, if it's a sponsorship only thing, then... I won't like it, but that's not a huge deal. If it's ownership, then I won't watch a single one of their matches, and will write to Bath, asking them to non-compete in whatever way the league rules allow. I would also, of course, bitxh and moan about it on forums and social media.

I've just gone and read the Falcons Sports network site - there's a lot of bull being talked there - mostly "it can't be sportswashing, it's giving us money" (on the assumption that it's a big investment)

Latest posts