• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pro 12? Get the hell outta here - Guinness Pro 14: R.1

Damn. It took Ulster only 20 minutes to realize not to kick at the Cheetahs but just keep ball in hand and the holes will come.

Cheetahs defence even worse than in Super Rugby, but good under the high ball.

Blues vs Edinburgh had some decent quality, Cardiff playing through the phases for days and with purpose, Edinburgh defending well, taking their only chance and dominating at the scrum. Positives for both.

Ulster deserve to be winning 100% but a quick question, are both of those yellows pretty typical in this competition?

In super rugby you don't get a yellow for the first infringement at the maul, and I thought that high tackle was a penalty only.

Cheetahs haven't exactly embarrassed themselves so far but certainly well beaten. If they don't learn to defend they're never going to threaten anyone.

That's a yellow? Seriously?

A bit of a shame that call as there was no element of danger in a horse collar tackle is there? I guess the fact Trimble was clean down the line was a major factor in the card. A try looked likely.

Ulster deserve to be winning 100% but a quick question, are both of those yellows pretty typical in this competition?

In super rugby you don't get a yellow for the first infringement at the maul, and I thought that high tackle was a penalty only.

Cheetahs haven't exactly embarrassed themselves so far but certainly well beaten. If they don't learn to defend they're never going to threaten anyone.

Both yellows seem a bit harsh to me by Pro12 standards. I only started watching it last year and thought the refereeing was good, but there are often wild rumours of a pro-Irish bias. The neutral ref rule introduced last year should kill that (although bizarrely it is an IRFU ref for this match).

The horse collar would be a definite yellow for me. You can't do that and it was killing a scoring opportunity.

In general, the refereeing has been great, was just curious about those yellows.

Cheetahs well beaten but was a fast flowing game so no complaints.

This might be semantics, but help me out please: I was under the impression that a horse collar tackle implied getting grabbed by the neck (hole of the jersey). I can agree (and see why) that would be a yellow. That was not what i saw here. He was grabbed from the jersey's back below the line of the shoulders (top of them).

Disappointingly inaccurate from the 'Tahs. Was always gonna leak a number and live off scraps but couldn't compete at the ruck. The ruck and interpretations of it by NH refs is where our teams are gonna struggle most and you saw it here. Can't complain about the 2nd yellow. 1st I felt a bit surprised by but won't complain.

Disappointingly inaccurate from the 'Tahs. Was always gonna leak a number and live off scraps but couldn't compete at the ruck. The ruck and interpretations of it by NH refs is where our teams are gonna struggle most and you saw it here. Can't complain about the 2nd yellow. 1st I felt a bit surprised by but won't complain.

I think it was just a lack of quality at the breakdown for the Cheetahs really. Cassiem and Mohoje can't come back quick enough as they look dangerous with quick ball, but had little. Africa did better than I expected in XVs.

It's only one game but I was very impressed by Edinburgh. Their pack did well and in truth it was a comfortable win with very limited talent at halfback, centre and wing (a Welsh dude I've never heard of and a 7s player who has lost his XVs contract!).

Cockerill will make me a believer with a few more performances like that and the backs and defensive coaches both deserve a lot of credit for getting the maximum out of the squad. I'm always ragging on SHC and Weir at halfback, but both did exactly what was required of them. Hopefully they have put last years poor form behind them.

Comfortable wins for Ulster and Edinburgh and suddenly Conference B is not looking like the poor relation.

Treviso. Well. Ugh. Not acceptable with the players at their disposal. Their iron tight defence kept Munster scoreless in the second half, right?

Well we are up and going. Jacko looked very Good, Conway has become a real class act the last year and our new guys stepped up. Yes there will be bigger challenges but very happy start.

@bruce we scored in 2nd half but it stalled as game got scrappy and subs etc

It's only one game but I was very impressed by Edinburgh. Their pack did well and in truth it was a comfortable win with very limited talent at halfback, centre and wing (a Welsh dude I've never heard of and a 7s player who has lost his XVs contract!).

Cockerill will make me a believer with a few more performances like that and the backs and defensive coaches both deserve a lot of credit for getting the maximum out of the squad. I'm always ragging on SHC and Weir at halfback, but both did exactly what was required of them. Hopefully they have put last years poor form behind them.

I'd wait a few more games before passing judgement on Edinburgh. Cardiff showing again their lack of depth when faced with multiple injuries. With Ellis and Sam missing and Nick Williams again leaving early in the game, Navidi was a one man backrow. Edinburgh put pressure on the breakdown, slowing or stifling a lot of ball. Edinburgh were happy to waste a lot of time last night all over the park, Clyne took an age to box kick and their negative and forward orientated approach rugby paid off against a depleted Cardiff pack. What they did do extremely well was put high balls on Mathew Morgan. In the first half, almost every play they targeted him and got a good amount of territory and possession from knock ons. You do what you need to to win, but I haven't seen any change in Edinburgh so far. They have Dragons then Treviso next so it may be a while before someone properly tests them and are likely to be 3/3.

It's the first time I've doubted Danny Wilson's selections. Halaholo and Rey-Lee-Lo are great creative individuals but despite having a lot of ball lacked cohesion and didn't bring the wings into the game. Starting our very green 10 in Jarrod Evans over Steven Shingler didn't pay off. Dillion Lewis is playing for Cardiff RFC today, instead of being involved last night for Cardiff Blues. He just had a really decent few game for Wales against Samoa and Tonga, he's one to bring through, but I'm guessing the coaches had their reasons. Long season for Cardiff ahead at this rate. Leinster away next though, so at least it's an easy game!

Fairly dire first half. Leinster ahead by 6-13.

Jamison Gibson Park with the try. Scrum excellent. Rory O'Loughlin decent. Rest is a bit meh.

Haven't paid too much attention to the Dragons but Gavin Henson has been shaky.

Latest posts