• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pro 12? Get the hell outta here - Guinness Pro 14: R.1

I'd wait a few more games before passing judgement on Edinburgh. Cardiff showing again their lack of depth when faced with multiple injuries. With Ellis and Sam missing and Nick Williams again leaving early in the game, Navidi was a one man backrow. Edinburgh put pressure on the breakdown, slowing or stifling a lot of ball. Edinburgh were happy to waste a lot of time last night all over the park, Clyne took an age to box kick and their negative and forward orientated approach rugby paid off against a depleted Cardiff pack. What they did do extremely well was put high balls on Mathew Morgan. In the first half, almost every play they targeted him and got a good amount of territory and possession from knock ons. You do what you need to to win, but I haven't seen any change in Edinburgh so far. They have Dragons then Treviso next so it may be a while before someone properly tests them and are likely to be 3/3.

It's the first time I've doubted Danny Wilson's selections. Halaholo and Rey-Lee-Lo are great creative individuals but despite having a lot of ball lacked cohesion and didn't bring the wings into the game. Starting our very green 10 in Jarrod Evans over Steven Shingler didn't pay off. Dillion Lewis is playing for Cardiff RFC today, instead of being involved last night for Cardiff Blues. He just had a really decent few game for Wales against Samoa and Tonga, he's one to bring through, but I'm guessing the coaches had their reasons. Long season for Cardiff ahead at this rate. Leinster away next though, so at least it's an easy game!

I'll not be hanging out the bunting for Edinburgh quite yet, but that was a very experimental set of backs and I doubt they would have achieved that result at full strength last year. If they can get any of their wingers and centres back I think they might show a bit more of a modern style.

The Blues are a mystery to me. They looked sharp to me at the start of last season but have been downhill ever since. They and Edinburgh are arguably the sleeping giants of the tournaments. Pretty much comatose.

Third bp wins for the provinces. James Ryan has had a good cameo so far, Leavy continues to be **** hot, I reckon he'll cement himself as an Irish starter this season.

Just seeing Zebre held up well against O's. Was it a good Italian performance or a bad Welsh one? The tournament needs an Italian side who can win again like Treviso back in the good old day!

Full time, Leinster win 16-39 with 5 tries.

Improved performance in the second half but still lots to work on. Starting front row was a lot stronger in the scrum than their replacements. Scott Fardy hit a lot of rucks. James Ryan very impressive off the bench, as was Jack Conan. Backs didn't really fire but Jamison Gibson Park, Isa Nacewa and Rory O'Loughlin were the pick of them.

That game will stand to Ed Byrne, Andrew Porter, Max Deegan and Jordan Larmour. Hopefully they can rack up the minutes this season to help them improve.

Kings seem to be trying hard.
We may not have the talent but you can see the lads really care, every tackle and every ruck is important.

Coleman has been surprisingly good as has the Kings loose trio. At the moment Scarlets too good but it's not as obvious as it perhaps should be.

Edit: this Scarlets 7 is quality.

Edit edit: Wow Scarlets play some great rugby.
Not sure if they were in the market for a Saffer fan but they may have made one. Obviously, a poor performance from the Kings but I saw enough to remain positive.

Last edited:
Zebre apparently pulled it back to within two points late on. Headscratcher as I had that down for a 30 point loss, but a good start for the coach Bradley and keeps my baseless optimism alive for one more week.

Probably a predictable score for the Scarlets against the Kings. Did Halfpenny show any attacking flourishes?

I don't know if the SARU can do anything further to bolster their sides as on first impressions they are fair step behind contending for the playoffs and possibly at the level of Edinburgh, Blues and Dragons.

A beautiful day across the British isles means of course it is ******* it down in Galway with comical wind. First round of handbags after just 40 seconds.

Scarlets tried a little too hard at times, throwing the ball around without real purpose. This was typified by Rob Evans, who at times forced things a little too much. His improvement with ball in hand has been remarkable over the last year and a bit though, always looking to time his pass instead of just shipping it on like most NH front rowers.

When the Scarlets get going though, they are hugely impressive in just about every facet of the game. They have so many players who are capable over the ball, with James Davies their most prolific. How he hasn't been involved in the Welsh squad is still an absolute mystery, because he puts in performances like that every time he plays.

In the backs NcNicholl has been one of the best foreign signings in regional rugby for many years. It took him a while to settle in at the beginning of last season, but looked great at the end of last season, and he was phenomenal tonight. 200m ball in hand, countless clean breaks, 2 try's, he's a special player alright! Patchell continues to impress as well, with his range of passing really helping to put his outside backs into space.

A big mention once again to Pivac and Stephen Jones. The way they are preparing the team is excellent. The Scarlets forwards are all so comfortable ball in hand, with props and second rows passing and offloading like backs.

Good to see the Kings on board as well. Tough ask for them to go to the reigning champions' home first up. If it's any consolation Scarlets beat Munster in last season's final by a similar score. I thought the Kings showed up well in the first half, but struggled a little in the set pieces and at the breakdown in particular. They should fare much better against many of the other teams in their conference, and I'd expect them to pick-up plenty of wins over the course of the season.

Kings seem to be trying hard.
We may not have the talent but you can see the lads really care, every tackle and every ruck is important.

Coleman has been surprisingly good as has the Kings loose trio. At the moment Scarlets too good but it's not as obvious as it perhaps should be.

Edit: this Scarlets 7 is quality.

Edit edit: Wow Scarlets play some great rugby.
Not sure if they were in the market for a Saffer fan but they may have made one. Obviously, a poor performance from the Kings but I saw enough to remain positive.

Scarlets are a very strong first team at the moment and were every bit worthy of being champions last year. They play some very attacking minded rugby.

Did Halfpenny show any attacking flourishes?

Not particularly. He countered a couple of times, but still looked a little uncomfortable doing so. The contrast with McNicholl was rather stark, with McNicholl's feet and ability to ghost past players so deadly.

I'm sure Halfpenny will improve in this environment, but he'll need to work on his agility!

6-3 to Connacht at the half. Conditions deteriorating and you can't draw any conclusions from it. Glasgow will have the wind behind them in the second half so should see this one out. No chance of a winning bonus point for anyone. The ex-Chief coaches must be watching the conditions with bemusement.

Loving that weather in Galway! The open air viewing of the All Ireland Hurling final should be a delightful way to start the last year of my life I'll spend living there!

If Matt Healy could catch a ball Connacht would probably be winning, he's dropped everything!

In fairness he wasn't alone and the effect the wind was having on a sodden ball was outrageous. Strikes me as unusual for the likes of Healy and Adeloykun to play somewhere which so frequently has terrible weather and play on grass. I'd play Warrenball and get big blighters in the backs if I was coach. Still, good to see a competitive Connacht start a season properly with their new coach. I wouldn't rule them out of the playoff fight with Cardiff, Cheetah and Ospreys off to a slow start in Conference A and they'll gain ground on Glasgow in international weekends.

Lovely worked try by Sarto and Price. Lots of good touches for Adam Hastings in his baptism of uh, fire. Really flat passes (like Elton Jantjies) that worked well and hopefully he was stretchered off as a precaution. He'll be the next great white hope of Scottish rugby if he isnt crocked there.

Just a quick nod to admit that I feel properly violated by Ulster. Hope the Cheetahs don't sulk too much....

Ulster in control at the moment but you get the sense this game has more points in it for either team. Cheetahs yellow and poor defense cost them 14 quick points.
I did say they'd score a few good tries and lose by 15, hopefully the margin doesn't get any worse!

Leliafano is class, comes back from Leukemia and he's as assured as ever.
He put in the hard yards for sure... and was missed like nothing else.

Against a combined Asia Pacific side the Brumbies were 14-14 at the 49 minute mark when he came on...

31 minutes later, full time and it's a 61-14 win. He oozes leadership out of every pore. Guy's been the vocal organizer of the defensive line for years. Just glad to see him get some game time.

Every time he's primed to explode and emerge as an in-form Wallabies 10/12 option something god awful happens to the poor guy.

Latest posts