• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pro D2 and the lower leagues 2011/12 seasons

Which two clubs do you think will earn promotion to Top 14?

• Albi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bourgoin

• Dax

• Grenoble

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • La Rochelle

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Mont-de-Marsan

• Oyonnax

• Pau

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Fédérale 1 has managed to get a 4 year TV deal with Eurosport, for 10 matches a year, as well as a match per weekend in Pro D2.

Seems quite unimaginable that in the UK the English third division would ever get a look in for a TV deal, the Championship barely gets more matches on TV that, so can anybody tell me how a third division league can get a TV contract

There's a much bigger audience over there for rugby. Ever see the crowds for Pro D2 games? There about as big as your average Premiership game. The Fédérale 1 probably gets crowds similar to the Championship over there.

Plus the
Fédérale 1 isn't promoted by the semi-competent FFR not the RFU.

Fédérale 1 has managed to get a 4 year TV deal with Eurosport, for 10 matches a year, as well as a match per weekend in Pro D2.

Seems quite unimaginable that in the UK the English third division would ever get a look in for a TV deal, the Championship barely gets more matches on TV that, so can anybody tell me how a third division league can get a TV contract

Rugby Fédérale and the lower leagues in general are very popular and I suppose Eurosport seen a great opportunity.

Some important news coming from French rugby that fans should take note ofâ€"

First, Béziers has been given a reprieve as Bourgoin were found to be financially unable to remain in professional rugby and were subsequently relegated to Fédérale 1 instead. This comes as no shock, though it was thought that Brive would also suffer the same fate. With the financial reports in, several other clubs have also been tossed around throughout the French leagues.

While I don't have time to report every little detail I will mention that this includes clubs from bigger cities such as Stade Phocéen, Nîmes and Nice, all of which were relegated down to Fédérale 3. Also, Saint-Sulpice was the only club of eight to be rejected an opportunity to play in Fédérale 1 after earning a spot through the promotion playoffs. The club will be replaced by Saint-Jean d'Angely.

You can view the official pools for Fédérale 2 and 3 in pdf form by following the links below. Fédérale 1 pools are already available at the Rugby Federal website.

Fédérale 2

Fédérale 3

The above is not quite true as Bourgoin have decided to apeal so there is no decision (the appeal is for the 15th Aug.) as yet but if they win their appeal the 2nd club to be relegated was Beziers so they will go down into Fed I if Bourgoin stay up in Pro D2.
There are very strict rules on finance in France and all is controlled by a givernment body the bugets have to be in place by the beginning of the season and no deficts are allowed. This is why as mentioned above teams hoping to move forward in the leagues have been reprimanded and have found themselves in the lower divisions!!!!'

That would be the DNACG and all things considered, I doubt Bourgoin will win their appeal. The DNACG is extremely strict. Also, the FFR has already gone ahead with official releases regarding the 2012-13 campaigns with one of the last changes being Vichy being allowed to stay in Fédérale 2 so long as they play out of their zone. Stade Phocéen and others have also appealed and were subsequently turned down without as much as a sniff at what they proposed. In some ways this is a shame, but I can understand the idea that you shouldn't be playing in a league that you can't afford to take part in.

An old-school French rugby fight between Béziers and Carcassonne in Pro D2 in December.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MSYbjSXZ8gM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Latest posts