• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pro Indoor Rugby

T

thunderbear

I'm getting burned out on indoor football here in the states. My wife and I are getting ready to move to Tennesse next month and I am seriously considering launching a professional sevens indoor rugby union league in 2008. It will be played similar to the World Arena Rugby Union but in smaller arenas.
Indoor football is becoming a joke and I think that indoor rugby would make a more exciting game.
I am writing on this forum asking for sugestions or ideas about indoor rugby.
What would you like to see or rule changes you would suggest.
Thanks and God bless,

I'm getting burned out on indoor football here in the states. My wife and I are getting ready to move to Tennesse next month and I am seriously considering launching a professional sevens indoor rugby union league in 2008. It will be played similar to the World Arena Rugby Union but in smaller arenas.
Indoor football is becoming a joke and I think that indoor rugby would make a more exciting game.
Thanks and God bless, [/b]
Well, Thunderbear, I'm glad you've asked. I think it would be a great idea. However, why in the world would you ever move to Tennessee? No offense, but if you want to launch some sort of rugby thing, hit one of the coasts where the population is higher, and there is a growing rugby culture. ...and Tennessee sucks.

<div class='quotemain'> I'm getting burned out on indoor football here in the states. My wife and I are getting ready to move to Tennesse next month and I am seriously considering launching a professional sevens indoor rugby union league in 2008. It will be played similar to the World Arena Rugby Union but in smaller arenas.
Thanks and God bless, [/b]
Well, Thunderbear, I'm glad you've asked. I think it would be a great idea. However, why in the world would you ever move to Tennessee? No offense, but if you want to launch some sort of rugby thing, hit one of the coasts where the population is higher, and there is a growing rugby culture. ...and Tennessee sucks.
[/b][/quote]
Moving to Tennessee because my wife and I want to live in the Smokies. We love the Gatlinburg area. One of the indoor rugby teams will be in Knoxville. Besides,I can expand out to the east coast in time. I know that the league probably will not attract "big" name players and coaches but it will attract a lot of college and club rugby players not to mention a few converted indoor football players. I don't know that many potental fans will know "big" name players anyway. We will make our stars on and off of the field.
How many people know indoor football players after you get past the AFL anyway.
This will be a "grassroots" rugby league. It will be interesting to see what type of players, coaches and fans it will attract.

I'm not commenting on "big name players" because there aren't any to start with. I'm simply suggesting from a grassroots state of mind, go to the grassroots homes of American Rugby. That would not be Knoxville. If you want to move there just because you want to live there, that's all good and grand, but if you are moving somewhere to start an indoor rugby thing, that's not where to go. I do, however wish you the best of luck. I'm not saying it won't go strongly for you...I'm just giving a suggestion on where to start it to have a bigger basis of people who play rugby and are familiar with the sport.

got any vids or anything of this indoor game?
never heard of indoor rugby as anything offical

Hey, cool! Indoor football! I love indoor football! I go to arena football games too. Good sport.

I'd support your idea. Go for it!

Do you know how much it will cost?

Considering the massive amount of rugby amateurs in the Chicagoland area you may want to try there instead. You'd get a solid reception. There are 4 clubs in my area alone in the south suburbs.

So how would this work? Like 10 players on each team playing on a half sized rugby field?

Considering the massive amount of rugby amateurs in the Chicagoland area you may want to try there instead. You'd get a solid reception. There are 4 clubs in my area alone in the south suburbs. [/b]
Yeah, rugby in Chicago is great. 2 Super League teams (Lions and Griffins) and I keep seeing stuff for the Chicago Riot. It seems like that is becoming a hotbed for Rugby.

Hope your not considering playing on Astroturf, would be a nightmare for any players not of American football descent. Rugby players spend their entire lives playing on grass, Astro = broken limbs.

Its a nice idea. You should really think about the floor though, in rugby as you know you spend a lot of time being rammed into the ground without protection and rubbing your face into the earth. Usual syntetic turf is like sandpaper on the skin. And since I know how american folks like to change the rules you could reduce the number of support players allowed in the ruck or maul to 2 from each side>faster ball more tackles, or the rolling maul going for max 10m etc. etc. pp.

Yeah, Astroturf + Rugby = Disaster.
I played all of my college football on turf (both astro and the newer synthetic grass). Both would not suit rugby.

Sounds a brilliant idea in theory, but cant imagine its much cop in practice. I know over here they sometimes teach tag indoors, but pyhsical contact indoors must just be suicidal.

Sounds a brilliant idea in theory, but cant imagine its much cop in practice. I know over here they sometimes teach tag indoors, but pyhsical contact indoors must just be suicidal.