• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Probably the most stupid question on this forum but how does the itm cup work.

But why some players play for a SR franchise that does not include his union? For instance (this is wikipedia info, so the example may be wrong, but I know it happens) Israel Dagg plays for Hawke's Bay in the ITM so should play SR for the Highlanders, but is in the Crusaders squad.

hawkes bay is more the chiefs not the highlanders from memory (i cant remember the catchment groups up north, or i dont pay attention to them)

i dont know the proper answer but i think he was a free agent a few years ago and got picked up by the highlanders. then when his contract was up with them he signed with the crusaders. just because you live in a certain area or play for a club team doesnt make you an automatic pick for them. Its the same with the NBA or other francise sports really.

hawkes bay is more the chiefs not the highlanders from memory (i cant remember the catchment groups up north, or i dont pay attention to them)

i dont know the proper answer but i think he was a free agent a few years ago and got picked up by the highlanders. then when his contract was up with them he signed with the crusaders. just because you live in a certain area or play for a club team doesnt make you an automatic pick for them. Its the same with the NBA or other francise sports really.

Isn't it something like the SR franchises can protect a certain amount of players from their smaller domestic unions and then the remaining players become free agents?

Hawke's Bay is a Hurricanes franchise I'm pretty sure.

Actually Hawkes bay is a feeder for the Hurricanes..

Hurricanes seem to have the biggest catchment area..
- HB, Manawatu, Naki and wellington.

Isn't it something like the SR franchises can protect a certain amount of players from their smaller domestic unions and then the remaining players become free agents?

Hawke's Bay is a Hurricanes franchise I'm pretty sure.

That used to be the case, but that has changed recently. Now franchises are free to sign players directly, not matter where they are from.

yeah sorry my bad, like i said i dont follow the northern teams that much (and i currently live in wellington lol)

Super Rugby is broken.. it worked in the first few years when it was only super12 and had good regional representation. Now it has expanded and kills the NPC which is my favourite comp. Also it's hard to cheer for the 'Canes coming from Manawatu when they don't pick any of our players.

NZRU should scrap it, have some kind of comp like the super10 from back in the day but that's all. If NPC was our premier comp the crowds would come back to watch all of our top players playing like the old days. It would also stop the likes of Wellingon, Canterbury from poaching young talent from other regions to replace their AB's who hardly ever turn out in NPC.

I realise that financially the super15 is lucrative, but it sucks for the fans in NZ.

Also noted that the TV ratings for the NPC seem to be better than most of the SR matches..

Also, southland and Hawkes Bay seem to draw bigger crowds than their representative SR teams of the Highlanders and Canes.

Each franchise can protect 24 players from the draft. However the introduction of direct contracting has made the draft fairly redundant. This allows players to play Super Rugby for whoever they wish whilst staying with their itm province.
Main examples of direct contracting have been Thomas Waldrom Stephen Brett Lima Sopaga etc
And heres the provincial unions super sides:
Blues:Auckland, Northland, North Harbour.
Cheifs: Waikato, Bay of Plenty, Counties Manakau, King Country, Thames Valley
Hurricanes: Wellington, Taranaki, Hawkes Bay, Manawatu, Waiarapa Bush, Horowhenua-Kapiti, Poverty Bay,
Crusaders: Canterbury, Tasman, West Coast, Buller, South Canterbury, Mid Canterbury
Highlanders: Otago, Southland, North Otago

Missed a few Heartland but there fiarly insignifcant

A bit off topic. But the current Sanzar deal ends in 2015 correct?

I have an inkling that the Saffas and NZ are going to try and incorporate their domestic comps with an international SR HC-Type tournament.

Why? Currie Cup premier division is going to be whittled down to 6 teams... The CC first division will be 8 teams.

NZ ITM cup now has 2 divisions.. The Premiership and Championship - 7 teams in each.... I have no doubt it will be changed so that the Premiership will become 6 teams by next year or the following with 8 teams in the Championship...

It coincides nicely with the SR 'Conferences'... And i have a feeling by 2015, perhaps another NSW team will be in the Aussie conference.... Giving them 6 teams.

NZ and Saffa will keep their domestic comps with 6 teams vying for the Domestic championship AND the SR championship..

I have an inkling that the Saffas and NZ are going to try and incorporate their domestic comps with an international SR HC-Type tournament.

Why? Currie Cup premier division is going to be whittled down to 6 teams... The CC first division will be 8 teams.

NZ ITM cup now has 2 divisions.. The Premiership and Championship - 7 teams in each.... I have no doubt it will be changed so that the Premiership will become 6 teams by next year or the following with 8 teams in the Championship...

It coincides nicely with the SR 'Conferences'... And i have a feeling by 2015, perhaps another NSW team will be in the Aussie conference.... Giving them 6 teams.

NZ and Saffa will keep their domestic comps with 6 teams vying for the Domestic championship AND the SR championship..

No way

Yes and if that were the case NZ would really be able to hold onto their all blacks... NOT, regardless of whether you like it you need Super Rugby and its where the real money is.

I think of all the SR NZ teams this season.. Only the Blues made a profit due to their just average crowds... and it was still less then 100K....

Also noted that the TV ratings for the NPC seem to be better than most of the SR matches..

Also, southland and Hawkes Bay seem to draw bigger crowds than their representative SR teams of the Highlanders and Canes.

People are disenfranchised with the, er, franchises. Being a Manawatu supporter I'd much rather go watch them play, with the majority of the squad being local products. The canes hold no appeal for me. No manawatu players, no games anywhere other than wellington. It's basically just wellington NPC + all blacks. Back in the day many people used to travel from vpalmy/napier/new plymouth to watch the games at athletic park. And they always used to have games in the above cities (and get good crowds). Now they hold one game out of wellington every few years and expect people to turn up? Not going to happen.

I also think the rugby in ITM cup is way more fun to watch.

The South Africans would never agree to having their domestic comp mutilated like that. And if the NZRU knew what was good for them they wouldnt either

Yes and if that were the case NZ would really be able to hold onto their all blacks... NOT, regardless of whether you like it you need Super Rugby and its where the real money is.

the only reason we "need" super rugby is because we have made it that way, people will keep watching rugby if the super teams don't exsist, In fact im convinced everying would be MORE connected if you only had one team to follow rather than splitting your loyalties, Look at what happened when the Highlanders tried to reconnect with southland and north otago but changing our jersey colour, they stuffed it up be it shoes there is most definately a problem.

top five teams form ITM play super rugby the next year...pretty simple

The South Africans would never agree to having their domestic comp mutilated like that. And if the NZRU knew what was good for them they wouldnt either

Mutilated how? They were going to decrease the Currie Cup Premier division to only 6 teams anyway.. But almost the last minute they decided instead of decreasing the amount of teams with Home and Away Matches (play each other twice)... they will keep the 8 team CC Premier format.. But each team plays each other ONCE...

Maybe by next year it will be decreased to 6 teams.

We need to scrap SR.

1. We need to reinvigorate the Regions provide them with high level corporate sponsorship (giving money to grass root clubs/schools/communities) to distribute regionally (unless multi-national company) promote tribalism
2. Implement a Salary Cap, Proper drafting, proper club management
3. Create the hardest toughest domestic competition in the World (ie NRL)

Have it Bi-annually crossover with CC.
In one of intervening years except in a World Cup Year, have a Global Tournament with Top 4 Northern Hemisphere Club teams versus Top 2 CC & ITM Clubs, and in the alternating year have Northern Hemisphere test teams the run gauntlet and tour the country.
Incorporate an Pacific Nations team
Televised All Blacks trials
All Star Weekend - sprint matches, weights comp, a sevens weekend, North vs South grudge match.

Aussies can 'Buy' in if they want a team. (just the like the NZ warriors)

God I wish I was a trillionaire.

Go the Mighty Auks.

Latest posts