• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Proposed turning off of post count

S

St Helens RLFC

This has been an idea for nearly a year now. On the "off topic post" thread people have been raising objections to it. And I can see why.

On the other hand, the rep system has been implemented as a replacement for post count to be phased in slowly as a replacement.

Please detail your thoughts on this as it's important I know. I will eventually do a poll on this, which I'll leave open for a month, which I think, on my part, is fair enough.

This is a complex issue for both me and yourselves - I want post count off as it leads to a problems but I would be willing to compromise.

You could leave it on, just have it in your own profile where you (and mods etc) can see it, just not every monkey out there. The wee rugby balls and your rep amount will still be an indication to the masses...

Originally posted by woosaah in the other topic
yeah but some people do post rubbish, i dont mind if the post count is taken away as long as you can still see how much you have contributed to the forum. you dont need to see what everyone else has done.

the rep system is ok... but still a little flawed as how many people here actually bother raising rep?

actually how many people bother lwring rep? i dont, i think thats mean as most of the time its the persons opinion that counts. i think i have neg reped one person that was because they neg reped someone without paying attention to why they were doing it.

i think this could be one of my longest posts in history

thats what i think i couldnt be bothered thinking again :D

Hide the post count. It really is pointless. I still get giddy when I climb up another notch on the top posters list... Get rid of it, for the good of the internet!!

hmm just having the rep system may work *been thinking*

it will make me think more of giving out rep for quality posts. or posts that make me laugh or something. thinking/hoping that if i ever have any quality posts or give something to the board then hopefully someone may give me a rep...

maybe

then the rep will become the big E-Penis, but it will be hard to be anywhere near kaftkas E-Penis

Originally posted by woosaah@Jun 22 2006, 09:08 PM
hmm just having the rep system may work *been thinking*

it will make me think more of giving out rep for quality posts. or posts that make me laugh or something. thinking/hoping that if i ever have any quality posts or give something to the board then hopefully someone may give me a rep...

maybe

then the rep will become the big E-Penis, but it will be hard to be anywhere near kaftkas E-Penis
And don't let it.... Trust me. Just turning around is a safety hazard.

But yeah. The thing with the rep points is that the regulars will be the ones that get them. Relatively quiet posters will only get a few rep points.

and you could have compertistions in which you win rep points, take for example TRF fantasy rugby comp, the one that wins that could get so many rep points, or picking rugby game scores, the one with the closest score could get a set number of rep points

Just looked at your rep points, and theres a lot of reps from a lot of different people. Your rep points are evidence that it can work very well. In fact, I'm suprised I haven't repped you yet...

the rep system can go both ways. it can be used properly and also it can be abused and mis-used. it is proabbly better than having a post count system though.

I like to see the post count kept, it one of those stats that I want kept the most.

Going on what Dobrien7 said in his first post is a great idea. Post count should be kept, but only viewed under the member profile page only.

Right Everyone, I know I should of posted earlier about this, but I have looked through and agreed that the post count needs to be hidden from Topics, as people do rely on trying to boost theres... So that has now been done..

I like to act first and think of the consquences later, so we will see how this goes down, if you still want to see the post count you can look in the members profile...

for n00bs like myself, im only posting heaps of garbage so that i can get over 100 posts so i can use the rep system. i dont think that some of you older members realise that you have to have that amount to use it

Originally posted by gjohn85@Jun 23 2006, 09:04 AM
I like to see the post count kept, it one of those stats that I want kept the most.

Going on what Dobrien7 said in his first post is a great idea. Post count should be kept, but only viewed under the member profile page only.
I agree here the post count should be kept but can only be view in the members profile and how often do you actually go into your own profile anyway so i think thats fair.

And yes keep the wee rugby balls and the rep system they are both good ideas we just need to come up with a way it won't be abused eg can only give a rep to the same person every 14-20 days or something.

Originally posted by MonoTurd@Jun 22 2006, 10:56 PM
for n00bs like myself, im only posting heaps of garbage so that i can get over 100 posts so i can use the rep system. i dont think that some of you older members realise that you have to have that amount to use it
Its been changed down to 10 posts so you should be ok, the limit was put there, when we were testing the system, and was never removed...

So you should be ok Monoturd...

Originally posted by getofmeland+Jun 23 2006, 10:40 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-MonoTurd
@Jun 22 2006, 10:56 PM
for n00bs like myself, im only posting heaps of garbage so that i can get over 100 posts so i can use the rep system.  i dont think that some of you older members realise that you have to have that amount to use it
Its been changed down to 10 posts so you should be ok, the limit was put there, when we were testing the system, and was never removed...

So you should be ok Monoturd... [/b]
champion. cheers for that

and is there any rep point rule that i should be aware of? like you cant give 20 rep points to the same person in one minute or anything like that?

you can only rep a person once per day. and you need valid reasons for changing the reputation of someone.

I take it that not enough people wanted the post count to stay

Well that sucks oh wel

Your Batista sig is nothing compared to the raw beauty of The Ravishing One.

Once Batista's down for the count, you know how Rude he can be.......!