• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Protein with no decent workout-Pointless?

whatamunson

Academy Player
Got a skinny mate wanting to bulk up. He has started eating 5 eggs a day and is now using
those frozen, concentrated egg white things daily. I reckon hes about a week away from wasting his money
on protein powder.
He doesnt use a gym, has pishy little dumbells that my 12 year old cousin could lift and thinks his job
as an office furniture removalist counts as a work out (there is no heavy sustained lifting). To put it bluntly
he is lazy and doesnt have the will to commit to a proper gym workout that would give him the desired results.

I'm no expert but Im sure this extra protein he is taking in is pretty pointless without hitting the weights properly.
Would I be correct? While unlikely to cause him harm I'd like a few of the experts on here to back me up so I can
at least try and get him into the gym or ditch the egg fetish.

The eggs shouldn't do anything wrong ib fact they are good for you. Protein without exercise is just ******* the money away.

From my experience working with a rake of rugby players - protein is in fact the least of your worries. We have had guys putting some serious bulk using 0.8g per lb of protein a day a one of those meals was from a vegetarian base.

Focus on upping your carb intake and getting as strong as hell. Most of the carbs should come from hypoallergenic sources such as brown rice, spuds, sweet potatoe, yams and squash and not gluten containing foods like bread and pasta (unless gluten free). 2-3g per lb should do it.

Also knock back 2-3 tbsp of good fats at every meal.

The bottom line is this - are you getting stronger at every training session? No - then work on this. How much bulkier do you think you will be squatting 60kg x 10 compared to 140kg for 10?

Good Luck!

John
http://www.fitnessforrugbyblog.com

He's obviously not going to put muscle mass on without proper weight training. The protein is a good foundation if he is going to train hard, which you're implying he's not.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...powder-increase-life-expectancy-10-years.html
However, I read a similar article to this in Men's Health, and here it is from the daily mail stating that protein shake drinkers could be doing more than laying the foundation to build muscle, the amino acids could help extend life-span.

The raw science on Protein shakes is surprisingly hard to find. Almost every article you'll pull up will turn out to be funded by a supplement producer and thus skews the conclusion to suggest anyone who works out should drink them. But the truth is that empirical data has shown that the impact these fast absorbing, amino acid laden protein shakes only reduce the recovery time of high level athletes. Even if you're working out almost every day, you need to be doing for a duration and an intensity that you'd otherwise find it hard to train the following day for the supplements to have a measurable effect. The truth is that if you eat good complex proteins from meat, legumes, lentils, quiona (brilliant stuff - the only complete protein that isn't an animal protein), you'll be largely in the clear. What good nutrition and exercise requires is a serious focus on the real foods you consume, the times you train and the way you train - not magic potions.
But yes it's certainly right that protein alone - no matter where you get it from - won't do anything if you're not working out right (or at all). The human body economises on what it's given and therefore won't assign protein for muscle building (repairing and reinforcing) if there is no impetus - instead it will store the extra calories as fat.

Last edited:
If your friend must drink protein shakes for whatever reason, advise him to avoid the "muscle-gain and weight-gain ones" that have ridiculous amounts of calories and fat. These are for guys who live at the gym who need all the nutrients they can get. If your friend is drinking two of these a day (which most protein shakes recommend), he'll be a lard-bucket in no time.

The only huge reason I drink protein shakes (I eat enough good carbs, meat and milk to get a good amount of protein) is it helps me feel less sore after a workout (especially after a hard leg workout, the next day I can barely walk haha).

Eggs are not bad for the health but if you want to stay healthy you just eat the white part of the egg and avoid eating the yolk. Because yolk is 90% comprises of fats and egg white is totally proteins which are good for health.

No yolk! its the best bit

Latest posts