• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

PS3 Tried and tested..

G

getofmeland

Well I have just got back from playing on PS3 and Nintendo Wii one of the first people in the UK to play on them, and well my verdict is this....

PS3 - Fantastic machine to look at stylewise but what more do you expect from sony, some of the style kings, but thats about it really, I played on 3 games all together, Rogue Warrior, Lair and Motorstorm...
All 3 of these games had serious frame rate issues, which wont be sorted on release, also I personally could see no difference between the PS3 and Xbox 360 graphics wise, if anything the PS3 graphics were not as crisp as the Xbox 360, I was playing these games on a 67" HD TV which was fantastic... The controller of the PS3 is dodgy and dont think some people will be able to get the hang of it, they have slightly knicked the idea of moving the controller to do things from Nintendo... Lair did use this quite well, but it was still very difficult to get the hang off... I heard about the online features and they are basically trying to do a copy of the Xbox live system, but i dont think it will be any less stable...

As for the whole Blueray thing, Personally HD DVD kicks its arse, Blueray films just look like they have had the colours turned up on, also on a few of the players it did jolt a bit, which is a bit worrying... I wont go into a huge amount of detail, but you could defiently tell the difference between the sound quality on the two disks with the HD DVD beating BlueRay.... BlueRay = Betamax!!!

Now for the Nintendo Wii, I only managed to Wii sports on this, with 3 other mates, and it was absolutely quality, playing a doubles game of tennis was hillarious, to play and watch, ok the graphics aren't fantastic, but it is what Nintendo planned to do revolutionize gaming, you could quite easily pick it up and just play, the other day I tried to show my mum how to play PGR 3 on the Xbox and she got confused completely by it all, but I could easily see her picking one up and have a great deal of fun with very little instruction on how to use it... It also keeps you fit, and gives you a nice work out... Watching people play tho is funny as anything... Just think of the fun you could have drunk, is all my mates said...

So in short PS3 is gonna be a huge let down, sure it will sell but you can get exactly what you want from a Xbox 360... and if you want something different go for a Wii... With the Xbox due to release the HD DVD Drive, for £130, it is a bargain for HD Gaming and Movies..

Any Questions

I had tickets for a trade show, where they were showing it off in London, 200 invited people

Sounds like the PS3 still has a bunch of issues to sort out... The jury is still out on the whole next gen console thing for me. I played, but wasn't really impressed by the XBOX360, so if the PS3 is just as dodgy I won't be going for either. I may have a look at the wii too, but at this stage I'm not spending a cent on any new consoles.

gutted for sony, i'm a huge fan of theirs eapecially the playstation.
[/b]
Yeah I know what you mean...they did so well with the first two.

Well my mate has a 360 so thats ok. Don't need to buy one of those while I wait for the other two.

I've already got my Wii on preorder. Although it'll arrive when I'm visiting my sis in Lyon dammit :p but I can't wait to get my hands on it...

But considering none of these issues will be solved for the PAL release, I think it will be a flop its only a couple of weeks away from release in japan and america... so there will be a lot of disappointment i think, a console purely for Hardcore sony fanboys and pro gamers

Is it a machine issue or a game issue?

(Release games are generally ordinary)

Im definately going to get a Wii at some stage. The controller looks so fun.

If they released a cricket game on it the batting would be so much fun. Same for baseball and golf.
Only $499 at release in NZ compared to the PS3's $999+ too.

Is it a machine issue or a game issue?

(Release games are generally ordinary) [/b]

Well this is where it is difficult to tell, i would like to say game issue, but it was happening on all the game i played on.. which were full release games as well... I wonder whether it is Blu Ray that is the problem...

There was rumours going around that the lasers on the ps3 where burning through the blu-ray discs.

Well I have just got back from playing on PS3 and Nintendo Wii one of the first people in the UK to play on them, and well my verdict is this....

PS3 - Fantastic machine to look at stylewise but what more do you expect from sony, some of the style kings, but thats about it really, I played on 3 games all together, Rogue Warrior, Lair and Motorstorm...
All 3 of these games had serious frame rate issues, which wont be sorted on release, also I personally could see no difference between the PS3 and Xbox 360 graphics wise, if anything the PS3 graphics were not as crisp as the Xbox 360, I was playing these games on a 67" HD TV which was fantastic... The controller of the PS3 is dodgy and dont think some people will be able to get the hang of it, they have slightly knicked the idea of moving the controller to do things from Nintendo... Lair did use this quite well, but it was still very difficult to get the hang off... I heard about the online features and they are basically trying to do a copy of the Xbox live system, but i dont think it will be any less stable...

As for the whole Blueray thing, Personally HD DVD kicks its arse, Blueray films just look like they have had the colours turned up on, also on a few of the players it did jolt a bit, which is a bit worrying... I wont go into a huge amount of detail, but you could defiently tell the difference between the sound quality on the two disks with the HD DVD beating BlueRay.... BlueRay = Betamax!!!

Now for the Nintendo Wii, I only managed to Wii sports on this, with 3 other mates, and it was absolutely quality, playing a doubles game of tennis was hillarious, to play and watch, ok the graphics aren't fantastic, but it is what Nintendo planned to do revolutionize gaming, you could quite easily pick it up and just play, the other day I tried to show my mum how to play PGR 3 on the Xbox and she got confused completely by it all, but I could easily see her picking one up and have a great deal of fun with very little instruction on how to use it... It also keeps you fit, and gives you a nice work out... Watching people play tho is funny as anything... Just think of the fun you could have drunk, is all my mates said...

So in short PS3 is gonna be a huge let down, sure it will sell but you can get exactly what you want from a Xbox 360... and if you want something different go for a Wii... With the Xbox due to release the HD DVD Drive, for £130, it is a bargain for HD Gaming and Movies..

Any Questions
[/b]

Given the graphics on Wii Sports will obviously be one of the worst looking games on the new console, Metroid Prime and that Chinese assasin game look quite decent. Obviously nothing on the other two machines though.

I've seen blu-ray and HD DVD line up next to eachother, and go head to head with blu-ray just nudging out HD, on the same TV's

There will be no doubt blue-ray is the winner

Whether PS3 implements it well is another story, but from what i have read here and compared to what i saw, i feel sony need to sort out its blu-ray thingy, or perhaps the TV's or cabling wasnt good.

Remember to get all out of Blu-Ray you need a TV with 1080p, 1080i may effect its quality until they streamline the issues with time

I saw them both line up on Friday on 67" Pioneer Plasmas, and from what I saw I was more impressed with the HD DVD than Blu Ray although like you said very little in it...

The TV's they were using were the new Pioneer Range which has been dubbed the best picture quality ever on a TV... all 67" plasmas

But I think for both things you would be better holding off until they are a a more developed bit of hardware... early adopters could be seen off...

also perhaps the ps3 blu ray drive is a **** poor quality effort like the ps2's original dvd drive

it wouldnt matter anyway, as for hard cores they'd have the best blue ray dvd player line up against a HD dvd player, and leave the consoles to games

personally am more interested in its media capabilities of music, mp3 etc, as my X360 is the latest juke box on the market, with mine already 1000's songs deep...........perfect for partys when hooked up to mean ass sound system

Nintendo have never really gone for graphiocs over gameplay which in some cases is very acceptable. I mean, look at Mario...

...That kicked so much ass in its earlier days and it still does to be honest with you. I still prefer the older 2D versions of the classic but still its good to see Mario going strong.

Same with Sonic, I loved the 2D adventure and still play it on occasion but I think Sony have had their time and I think its time to stand aside and let Microsoft show people what they are capable of with their 360.

Nintendo have definently had their day with the NES, SNES, and even their N64 but their GC was a disappointment in my opinion. Mainly controller reasons but meh I was never a fan of the console anyway.

I have been converted to Xbox for almost 3 years now and I am still staying with Microsoft. I have never had an interest in the PS3, trying to copy one of the best online gaming experiences shows how desperate they are.

Nice review Charlie.

I hope you are happy with your 360.

Latest posts