• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pumas and Islanders to join 3N in 2008

History in the making here!

If Argentina play the AB's every year it will only be a matter of time before they record their first victory against the AB's.

Argentina will finally turn into a true top tier nation one day. This is good for rugby and especially Southern Hemisphere Rugby as there will be 3 main continents now with a superpower.

Would have been good to have the other pacific rim nations (Japan, USA, Canada) represented in the P.I team but I suppose that is the way it is.

Japan and North America are in a bit of a quandary now. Where would they go?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("El manno with the ****** sign")</div>
I'm not saying its not a good idea or anything.. its a great idea. but theres been no talk at all by the big 3 about this at all.[/b]

True, its not SANZARs fault this time. They have been making positive noises about Argentina. Its actually been Argentina who, having found that they had nobody to argue with at SANZAR, promptly found a mirror and started to argue with itself, being the schkitzo Amateur Union that it is, the word on the street was that the Argentinians hadn't agreed with itself to agree to the deal!

and then i think it would be really cool if the 6N winner then went on to play the 5N winner in a world championship one off match at a neutral location somewhere in the world!!
[/b]
Baghdad Green Zone. Or downtown Mogadishu. Someplace they don't even have a government. A, bliss!

SANZARAPI sounds, errr ... snappy.

BTW - anyone got a link for this story?

European Cup, South American Cup, Asian Cup, African Cup, Confederations Cup, North American Cup, World Cup, and usualy there are other small tourniments held every 2 years... so thats about 8 Soccer cups.

Is their a link to this story, or any proof? This would be a major development in world rugby and kickstart a huge rugby revolution, they should start smaller national Cups in Asia and Africa and the Americas for weaker teams, the more games, more experiance, more fans more money more publicity more interest...

<div class='quotemain'>
and then i think it would be really cool if the 6N winner then went on to play the 5N winner in a world championship one off match at a neutral location somewhere in the world!!
[/b]
Baghdad Green Zone. Or downtown Mogadishu. Someplace they don't even have a government. A, bliss!
[/b][/quote]

May I suggest England? We're the only nation in the EU who (technically) hasn't got a government!

(Westminister is the UK Parliament, not an English one!)

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

May I suggest England? We're the only nation in the EU who (technically) hasn't got a government!

(Westminister is the UK Parliament, not an English one!)
[/b][/quote]

Uh.. Northern Ireland...

Host it in... North Korea, they need so see some sort of foreign .. something, ANYTHING! :rahh:

Uh.. Northern Ireland...

Host it in... North Korea, they need so see some sort of foreign .. something, ANYTHING! :rahh:
[/b]

What the hell are you talking about, they have their own devolved government!

...aaaanyway, before this slides back into yet another debate over the UK (quote me and move it to the Nation thread!!!)

It'd be better to host it in a non 6N / 5N country, like Canada.

ALSO! I Found it! Tucked away neatly in their Rugby & Golf section, I've got it translated and here it is!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("La Voz Rugby & Golf Supplement")</div>
Finally the order of the players of the Pumas, the trainer Marcelo Loffreda and the leaders of the UAR was listened to. The Sanzar, grouping that includes South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and organizer of the Three Nations and Super the 14, invited formally to the Pumas to play a match of five equipment in 2008.

The contest would begin in June, date in which the players are in the heat of competition with their European clubs, and would integrate the three present participants of the Three Nations, Islands of the Pacific (selected of Layer, Samoa and Fiji) and the Pumas. Now, the ball is in the UAR, that will have to determine whereupon Argentina players will confront resemblance commitment.

The leadership of the UAR not yet presented the news, but sources near the organization mother of rugby Argentine confirmed the official invitation of the Sanzar.

The incursion of the Pumas in the new Five Nations will mark the first time towards the profesionalización of rugby Argentine.

They decided with Sportfive. After many goings and returns, the directive advice of the UAR solved to accept the agreement to which had arrived the negotiating commission and Sportfive. He himself will sign itself after the commission specifies with the company that the Cordovan heads Diego Domínguez, some clauses that were not absolutely clear. [/b]

Realy.. what about Scotland or Wales? England dont have a Government?.. right well im off to wikipedia, this is something interesting!

And finally an end to the "poaching" of PI players debate, whether by the AB`s as some claim, or by the European clubs, as others claim.
[/b]

Whoah... Ease up there turbo! No, it won't put an end to it - unless the IRB change the laws. As I recall, in 2004 when PI played Australia Sione Lauaki was playing (as was Sitiveni Sivivatu) and now they are All Blacks. What's more if it was granted by the ARU Radike Samo (now playing for Stade Francais) could have played for them as well.

I think this is because it was an invitational/representative side. Interestingly though, it was still seen as a Test match.

Anyway, this could well be the start of something great!

*puts fingers in ears* LALALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

This is the last time I'm discussing something horribly off topic but, Scotland has its own Parliament and Wales has its own devolved Assembly which will eventually be uprated to a full parliament.

Don't bother with Wikipedia, I've studied all about this when I did Government and Politics and I've lived in Scotland for five years so I'm more than well versed in UK politics and constitutional matters.

Anyway! Get back on topic EoinZero you! *pokes with a stick* Yes! Back on topic! Back! Back I say!

im still waiting to see any proof about this landmark occasion in world rugby...

maybe it is true... but as of yet no ones put up a link nor have i seen anything on our major news websites or on our sports news programs. you would think with something like this that affects the all blacks directly will have something on it.

exactly - i've looked for this story on major rugby and news sites - result: nada! if anyone has a link from NZ, OZ, UK, etc from a reputable news source please post

otherwise i do hope this is true - about time - Argentina and the Pacific Islanders deserve to face quality opposition on a regular basis - anything to increase the international profile of rugby, plus the comp would be much more exciting IMO with these teams and venues thrown into the mix - if you let them in though give them a few seasons to develop

And what can make the European Clubs release the players? They didn't release them for the Lions game.

Like I said, the onus has always been on Argentina. SANZAR are the guys sitting around waiting for an answer.

As of 1am GMT, no word from any non Argentinian news source. The news story itself was really hidden away at the bottom of the Rugby Supplement, so it might just be the creation of a bored Argentinian sports writer?

And what can make the European Clubs release the players? They didn't release them for the Lions game.[/b]

Having a much bigger voice once they join up with SANZAR and get them to yell at the European Clubs. Case in point with Matt Burke when Australia mooted recently that they might need him to act as emergency cover and Newcastle (who are usually the ones who complain the most about players being released) immediately agreed.

Its all about having the clout to fight fire with fire. Also, having allot of money helps too and the cash Argentina would get from the Five Nations would help the ARU pry some Argentinian talent away from the clubs if only for a couple of matches in exchange for hard roubles.

thanks mate... its still been put up by an argentinian source though so im not totaly convinced yet.

if theres any truth to it there will be a mention of it on our sports news tonight.

I'm just questioning the validity of having pacific islanders if they're not gonna show up for a world cup as that team. It'll help the players as individuals, but as a team (i.e. fiji/tonga/samoa) it's not going to help world cup campaigns, is it?

[/b]

Yup, I know how you feel. Where would they have their home games?

imo, they should include Fiji and Samoa as individuals, and have our own 6 Nations. Sure they'd get spanked, but they'd only get better. The exposure of Samoa and Fiji in the 'bigtime' could attract players like David Smith etc.. to play for their home nations rather than the All Blacks.

Or they could have a tournament between Samoa, Fiji, Tonga, Japan, USA, and Canada, and the top 2 teams get an invitation to the SH 6N.

Or maybe they could just add the Pacific Island Combined Team and Argentina to the Tri Nations... I say they do that.

No need to see Fiji get spanked by 60 points 6 or 7 times a year.

They could improve.

The gap wasn't as large before the game went professional.
Samoa has shown they can shock good rugby teams. With them included, it could build them to do that on a consistent basis.
Look at Italy, a team who would get spanked down here, they've shown great improvement. Samoa and Fiji could do even better with all the talent we see in NZ.

The IRB rankings also show this. Samoa and Fiji round off the top 12 nations. 6 from North, and 6 from the South.

Or is NZ scared they'd lose the island talent to their respective countries?

Latest posts