• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Puppy training thread.

Well somehow he's dislocated a digit (toe). The bones too small for pins so it's R&R for 7 to 10 days. Lead walks only in the garden. Pain meds, anti inflation meds etc. Could be recurring and would mean amputation of the toe. So fingers crossed he'll be ok, trying to keep a border collie inactive is going to be like trying to bottle lightning.

Could have been a lot worse, but yeah - that's going to be a fun couple of weeks for you both.
Lots of mental stimulation I guess - and back to training useless tricks?

Good timing.
Apparently, the wife decided to throw away all the dog towels on Wednesday, for... well, no immediately obvious reason (we were replacing the work towels, so she was just thinking about it).
Of course, it's been tipping it down for a couple of days and the floods are up.

Oh yes, apparently, it's my job to order new ones.

I wasn't informed of any of this, but the towels are already gone, and I've just got back from taking the dogs for a swim in the floodwater.
I'm probably going to get told off for the state of the sofa when she gets in.

Last edited:
Good timing.
Apparently, the wife decided to throw away all the dog towels on Wednesday, for... well, no immediately obvious reason (we were replacing the work towels, so she was just thinking about it).
Of course, it's been tipping it down for a couple of days and the floods are up.

Oh yes, apparently, it's my job to order new ones.

I wasn't informed of any of this, but the towels are already gone, and I've just got back from taking the dogs for a swim in the floodwater.
I'm probably going to get told off for the state of the sofa when she gets in.

What do you mean "probably"?

Wouldn't swap my boy for the world, although….

….. a family down our road has a 10 month old Leonberger who's already over 60kg. Absolutely gorgeous but honestly I've seen smaller horses. I love the giant breeds but wouldn't get one because their life expectancy is too short for me. Always great to see this big guy though - he's a gentle giant and will sit and ask for a treat in exactly the same way that dogs a quarter of his size do.

Leonberger who's already over 60kg. Absolutely gorgeous but honestly I've seen smaller horses. I love the giant breeds but wouldn't get one because their life expectancy is too short for me. Always great to see this big guy though - he's a gentle giant and will sit and ask for a treat in exactly the same way that dogs a quarter of his size do.
Got a Leonberger near where I live as well. He's a local celebrity and gets loads of attention for his mama and papa when they are on their walk. Owner told me was 3 and already 75Kgs. But yes, a gentle giant. Sadly saw the for sale sign outside their house.

I love the giant breeds but wouldn't get one because their life expectancy is too short for me.
Tal is a half Leo (other half Berner).
Leo's are my favourite breed, but yeah, that life span (and health issues) or why I got for half-breeds.
Means she does lmt have the giantism, but still rocks up over 40kg.

Had our first "proper" swim today; as in - chasing sticks, of her own volition, and repeating the experiment. (as opposed to being "accidentally nudged in" by a careless daddy.
Her swimming is much like my rugby - incompetent, but enthusiastic.
Now borrowing her brother's dressing gown, that's a couple of sizes too big for her.

Link is our guests being vetted on arrival yesterday. We only allow people the dogs approve of, to stay.

Attachments

• IMG_20240302_140616422.jpg
    IMG_20240302_140616422.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts