• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Quade Cooper or Dan Carter? Who's the better 10?

I think Cooper is a better runner than Carter but as an out half no way. He can play the fancy ball and alot of the time they work but what about when they don't? Can he afford to play that risky ball when they play Ireland which let's face it, will be the group decider. Carter can change the course of a game without having to take risks. I would be much more worried if I was playing a side with Carter in it compared to Cooper

I think Cooper is a better runner than Carter but as an out half no way. He can play the fancy ball and alot of the time they work but what about when they don't? Can he afford to play that risky ball when they play Ireland which let's face it, will be the group decider. Carter can change the course of a game without having to take risks. I would be much more worried if I was playing a side with Carter in it compared to Cooper

Lol yes

Carter is more rounded, more complete.

Cooper is inconsistent in terms of form and of course, the goal kicking. However when Cooper is on, hes just fantastic.

For Cooper to get past DC he needs to work hard on defence, kick those goals a little better than he does now, try to never have 2 quiet games in a row and keep shining on the big stage like hes doing now (more Aussie victories with him having major inputs).

Right now, whos the better 10?

Easy, DC.

Last edited:
I honestly feel that while each has his own strengths and weaknesses, Dan Carter at the moment is the more complete fly half. Quade has the slick passing and running skills of the modern playmaker, but still lacks in goal and tactical kicking and needs to be more mature to beat Dan. Also, lets keep in mind that Carter makes things look so easy that its hard to pick out any one thing that he does which is pure class.

IMO,
Dan Carter
Strengths:
Rock solid defence
Superb tactical kicking game
Flawless goal kicking
Efficient distributor (plays to the strengths of his teammates too)
Good running game (recall that he was the best running 10 in the world before Cooper?)

Weaknesses:
Can go quiet at times
Teammates may depend too much on his magic

Quade Cooper

Strengths:
Slick passer (long, short, medium range passes. You name it, he does it)
Superb running game
Makes brilliant decisions (not afraid to take risks too)

Weaknesses:
His defence (been working on it but still not good for an international 10)
Goal kicking is woefully inconsistent
Needs fast or strong support runners running off him (Reds had the likes of Digby Ioane, Rod Davies etc to run onto his passes, whereas Carter at times has had to create for fairly ordinary guys, Daniel Bowden, Ryan Crotty, Adam Whitelock etc.)
Sometimes TOO unpredictable. (teammates may be left wondering what he was thinking)

If you have another back who is a world class kicker I would take Cooper, just for his prowess as an offensive general. He'll be able to make the tackles that are totally required of him, and anything that might be more difficult, he can rely on teammates to cover the slack. If you don't have another kicker, I'd take the consistency and kicking amazingness of Carter (even though I don't like him)

If you have another back who is a world class kicker I would take Cooper, just for his prowess as an offensive general. He'll be able to make the tackles that are totally required of him, and anything that might be more difficult, he can rely on teammates to cover the slack. If you don't have another kicker, I'd take the consistency and kicking amazingness of Carter (even though I don't like him)

You sure about that?

And any player that has to drop far out of position so his team mates can cover for his weaknesses doesn't come close to DC.

Last edited:
While we are rolling the dice, I'll see your Carter and Cooper and raise you a O'Gara and Wilkinson. Check Mate.

You're seriously raising that question? Wilkinson is and has been a waaaay better player than O'gara lol.

tumbleweed.gif

Ahahaha, the awkward moment of realisation where he turns it into a clap :lol:

Latest posts