• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Questions about Rugby in USA

Ticklishchap

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
I find that I know very little about Rugby (the Men's game) in the USA. Do some of you guys start playing in high school (as us chaps often do this side of the Pond) or is it more a college thing? Do a lot of local communities have Rugby Clubs? Is is still very much eclipsed by (American) Football.

I'd be interested to learn more from our American friends on this Forum.

Last edited:
I find that I know very little about Rugby (the Men's game) in the USA. Do some of you guys start playing in high school (as us chaps often do this side of the Pond) or is it more a college thing? Do a lot of local communities have Rugby Clubs? Is is still very much eclipsed by (American) Football.

I'd be interested to learn more from our American friends on this Forum.
I think most Americans start playing at the college level, but that's changing because the game is growing over here in High Schools. And rugby camps for kids are popping up here and there across the country too. The game is definitely on the rise. Yes, American football eclipses it and probably always will, but a lot of American football fans have embraced rugby and will do so as it continues to grow. And we have a lot of amateur rugby clubs, even as far away as Alaska. The women's game is growing too.

I think most Americans start playing at the college level, but that's changing because the game is growing over here in High Schools. And rugby camps for kids are popping up here and there across the country too. The game is definitely on the rise. Yes, American football eclipses it and probably always will, but a lot of American football fans have embraced rugby and will do so as it continues to grow. And we have a lot of amateur rugby clubs, even as far away as Alaska. The women's game is growing too.
Thank you for explaining that so clearly Sir. That's very much what I thought: mainly a college sport but growing in high schools.
Did you first get into Rugby at college?

Thank you for explaining that so clearly Sir. That's very much what I thought: mainly a college sport but growing in high schools.
Did you first get into Rugby at college?
No, it was much later. I worked all throughout my college years and barely had enough free time for a girlfriend. I saw the USA Eagles team play back in 2001 and have been hooked on the sport ever since. American football is still my favorite, but rugby is now #2 on my list. It's passed up baseball, basketball and ice hockey for me, and that's say's a lot.

1613949757582.png

Last edited:
No, it was much later. I worked all throughout my college years and barely had enough free time for a girlfriend. I saw the USA Eagles team play back in 2001 and have been hooked on the sport ever since. American football is still my favorite, but rugby is now #2 on my list. It's passed up baseball, basketball and ice hockey for me, and that's say's a lot.

View attachment 9396
I admire the way many Americans work throughout their college years; although it's hard, they gain a lot of experience. I did vacation jobs when I was at college but didn't need to work during the term, which meant that there was time for sports.

I think I read somewhere that it is the fastest growing sport in America. I can see why, it is similar to American Football but requires a lot less equipment and the game is for all sizes and more fluid.

I think I read somewhere that it is the fastest growing sport in America. I can see why, it is similar to American Football but requires a lot less equipment and the game is for all sizes and more fluid.

And with all the scrum resets and embarrassing ball in play stats Rugby now rivals American football in that regard so might appeal to American football fans as they love a bit of stop start and advert breaks.

I admire the way many Americans work throughout their college years; although it's hard, they gain a lot of experience. I did vacation jobs when I was at college but didn't need to work during the term, which meant that there was time for sports.
did you not have to work to pay for rent etc? i did in NZ which meant stopping playing rugby :(

did you not have to work to pay for rent etc? i did in NZ which meant stopping playing rugby :(
I worked in vacations and had a student grant (you're too young to have heard of those!) and a scholarship. Things are extremely different now in both the UK and NZ. In the 1980s a far smaller percentage went to university whereas now it is nearly 50%.

Latest posts