• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Questions

F

forumuser

gameplay have just emailed me saying they've posted my rl2 copy so i'm looking forward to recieveing it in a few days time, hopefully.

In the meantime i've a couple of questions to ask those who have played it:

1: ball stripping - any good or a bit of a dodgy gimmick like the ea hands in the ruck trick which doesn't really have much of a skill or timing element to it,m when i deally it could almost be a mini game like scrums lineouts and kicking

2: passing, any good or do you still get the reciever standing on the spot and how do the passing/playmaker options actually work, they look like the ea icon passing but again that could've been a great mini game in itself but you invariably ended up giving hospital passes- or was that just me?

3: steps- i liked rl1 steps but they just needed a little fine tuning for them to work as well on 1player as on 2player

4: fends - as above

5: movement- is it momentum or sluggishness - do we actually want sensible soccer like agility? i think ea momentum was maybe a step to far in that the players weren't as responsve but then wcr was too far the other way? not that i didn't love sensi - wouldn't sensi rugby be great - they are making a new ss apparently

have just read locksleys rl2 preview on his website and it seems very positive and very exciting.

Where does everyone think it goes wrong with the final version?

From reading other posts most think it is to do with momentum but locksley comments that he finds this good, as i've mentioned above i didn't like the momentum on ea2005, ea 2001 was a bit better in that you could unbalance defenders with only the slightest shift of weight in your player. but without the ridiculous commitment to a massive detour like the steps in ea 2005.

Still the best rugby game is 5nations or rugby cup rugby, can't remember its name, for the amiga. yes even better than jlr (which the more i replay it is, dare i say it? overrated as there isn't a backline game to speak of, alhtough it does have lots of great touches) you could pick the gaps in the backlne in a way that no other rugby game has managed since. There were backlne moves which actually worked, you could pass out of the tackle - what a game

Originally posted by forumuser@Dec 27 2005, 02:51 AM
have just read locksleys rl2 preview on his website and it seems very positive and very exciting.

Where does everyone think it goes wrong with the final version?

From reading other posts most think it is to do with momentum but locksley comments that he finds this good, as i've mentioned above i didn't like the momentum on ea2005, ea 2001 was a bit better in that you could unbalance defenders with only the slightest shift of weight in your player. but without the ridiculous commitment to a massive detour like the steps in ea 2005.
Player momentum does get on your nerves when you start out because you don't feel like you're in control. But in all honesty I think it's a mere adjustment issue... When you get used to the controls and figure out which player to select and when, it becomes a very good game. Goal line defence for me is THE major problem with this game, because even though I'm getting the hang of it, the AI is too easy to break within the 10 even on the harder levels, but I've started to force myself to use cross kicks, grubbers etc just to add more spice and I'm finding it more enjoyable.

Originally posted by forumuser@Dec 27 2005, 02:29 AM
gameplay have just emailed me saying they've posted my rl2 copy so i'm looking forward to recieveing it in a few days time, hopefully.

In the meantime i've a couple of questions to ask those who have played it:

1: ball stripping - any good or a bit of a dodgy gimmick like the ea hands in the ruck trick which doesn't really have much of a skill or timing element to it,m when i deally it could almost be a mini game like scrums lineouts and kicking

2: passing, any good or do you still get the reciever standing on the spot and how do the passing/playmaker options actually work, they look like the ea icon passing but again that could've been a great mini game in itself but you invariably ended up giving hospital passes- or was that just me?

3: steps- i liked rl1 steps but they just needed a little fine tuning for them to work as well on 1player as on 2player

4: fends - as above

5: movement- is it momentum or sluggishness - do we actually want sensible soccer like agility? i think ea momentum was maybe a step to far in that the players weren't as responsve but then wcr was too far the other way? not that i didn't love sensi - wouldn't sensi rugby be great - they are making a new ss apparently
1. I find ball stripping unaffective. Maybe it's just me. I don't know.

2. Passing is ok. Apart from dummy half. I don't know. The flat reciever doesn't happen. Or I haven't noticed it anyway.

3. Hmm. I don't know really. I haven't found them that beneficial.

4. Ok.

5. I find it ok.

Meah.

thanksfor that guys

Originally posted by sanzar@Dec 27 2005, 02:26 PM
but I've started to force myself to use cross kicks, grubbers etc just to add more spice and I'm finding it more enjoyable.
yeah i know that feeling, have had it on most rugby games where tries becoome too easy and you end doing things like passig to as many team mates as you can etc just for a bit of vaiety and to make the game more of a contest.

the reason why it happens is because, like sensible soccer used to be if you pick the right spot, or tactic you can score every time and you have to force yourself to use a different tactic - this never happens in pes or even fifa any more and shouldn't happen in rugby games either you should have to play whats in front of you every time and the same thing not work everytime?

Originally posted by forumuser@Dec 27 2005, 03:51 AM
When I did that Preview, it was based on 2 hours worth of play on an unfinished PC version of RL2. After playing many long hours on the PS2 version, I have to say that I really do not like RL2 at all!

There are many things wrong with the game that spoil my enjoyment, but the the main GLARING issue is the lack of control of the ball carrier. Yes, you can pass to who you want to, step and fend etc, but you can't run around players or actually do anything control wise when you have the ball in your hands.

I last played RL2 on the 20th December and I haven't touched it since!

Originally posted by locksley+Dec 28 2005, 10:12 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locksley @ Dec 28 2005, 10:12 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-forumuser
@Dec 27 2005, 03:51 AM
When I did that Preview, it was based on 2 hours worth of play on an unfinished PC version of RL2. After playing many long hours on the PS2 version, I have to say that I really do not like RL2 at all!

There are many things wrong with the game that spoil my enjoyment, but the the main GLARING issue is the lack of control of the ball carrier. Yes, you can pass to who you want to, step and fend etc, but you can't run around players or actually do anything control wise when you have the ball in your hands.
[/b]
only as far as running is concerned though... You can't run sideways around them because the defence stands too wide and they grab you. But I still find that the shoulder charge, step and palm do a great deal. That said, the game engine needs a serious make over for the next version.

Originally posted by sanzar+Dec 29 2005, 01:00 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Dec 29 2005, 01:00 AM)</div>
Originally posted by locksley@Dec 28 2005, 10:12 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-forumuser
@Dec 27 2005, 03:51 AM

only as far as running is concerned though... You can't run sideways around them because the defence stands too wide and they grab you. But I still find that the shoulder charge, step and palm do a great deal. That said, the game engine needs a serious make over for the next version. [/b]
Make over ? I would be getting the dynamite on order.

that bad uh?
30 smackers down the swanny then!

ok, so if you can't run around people which you'd expect at least a couple of the "star" playmakers to be able to do? can you use the passing to put people through gaps?

ta

yeah you can do that, you can run around people with fends i find htem useful sometimes, or a big sholdercharge over the fullback i love doing that then throwing a long pass out for my winger to score a long range try
<
(on league god)

it just takes alot of practice and perserverence if you love league you should love this game if you give it a decent chance

Originally posted by woosaah@Dec 29 2005, 10:16 AM
yeah you can do that, you can run around people with fends i find htem useful sometimes, or a big sholdercharge over the fullback i love doing that then throwing a long pass out for my winger to score a long range try
<
(on league god)

it just takes alot of practice and perserverence if you love league you should love this game if you give it a decent chance
how do you do a shoulder barge on offence??

In the Manual it says "by pressing D and F" but when I press the buttons they throw a pass?

Roger that, they did indeed stuff it up in the manual, causing many a loose ball!!

Well, i just played the ps2 version fo the first time, and ive got to say that its given me a new found love for the pc version. Honestly, playing on the default view i cant even see the numbers on players backs, it looks almost like ps1. On default view on the pc i can see numbers, i can tell players by their hair and skin colour. Its just like a crystal clear dream compred to the ps2. I was shocked, youve got to go pc all the way with this one, yeah the controls suck, but theres always the chance of a patch. The ps2 is twitchy and ugly, it barely even looks like the same game, anyone with a pc make the change!!

Originally posted by CeeJay@Dec 29 2005, 05:21 PM
Roger that, they did indeed stuff it up in the manual, causing many a loose ball!!

Well, i just played the ps2 version fo the first time, and ive got to say that its given me a new found love for the pc version. Honestly, playing on the default view i cant even see the numbers on players backs, it looks almost like ps1. On default view on the pc i can see numbers, i can tell players by their hair and skin colour. Its just like a crystal clear dream compred to the ps2. I was shocked, youve got to go pc all the way with this one, yeah the controls suck, but theres always the chance of a patch. The ps2 is twitchy and ugly, it barely even looks like the same game, anyone with a pc make the change!!
Yeah I've noticed that... it feels like you've made the jump from FIFA 2000 to FIFA 2006 when you look at the comparison. The PC version is as smooth as butter and looks gorgeous, while the PS2 one looks like the poor cousin.

Originally posted by sanzar+Dec 29 2005, 07:05 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Dec 29 2005, 07:05 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-CeeJay
@Dec 29 2005, 05:21 PM

Yeah I've noticed that... it feels like you've made the jump from FIFA 2000 to FIFA 2006 when you look at the comparison. The PC version is as smooth as butter and looks gorgeous, while the PS2 one looks like the poor cousin. [/b]
To be fair to SIDHE this isnt a new problem for them. RL1 sucked ass on the PS2 as well. Xbox was far and away above the PS2 version which when you consider the likes of what GTA has done with the PS2 you would have to say is badly programmed.

Latest posts