RaboDirect Pro 12 Round 1, 2

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
This weekend the 2012-2013 season of the RaboDirect Pro12 will kick off. With the inclusion of Zebre, replacing Aironi, we will see a new team this season. Rodney Parade will be the first location Zebre will play, when they travel to Wales to play Dragons. The final match of the weekend will see Edinburgh host Munster at Murrayfield.[/SIZE]

Round 1 Fixtures

Friday 31st August:
Newport.png
Versus_RD_Pro12.png
Zebre.png

Friday 31st August:
Ulster.png
Versus_RD_Pro12.png
Glasgow.png

Friday 31st August:
Benetton.png
Versus_RD_Pro12.png
Ospreys.png

Saturday 1st September:
Connacht.png
Versus_RD_Pro12.png
Cardiff.png

Saturday 1st September:
Scarlets.png
Versus_RD_Pro12.png
Leinster.png

Saturday 1st September:
Edinburgh.png
Versus_RD_Pro12.png
Munster.png

Can't wait, this tournament rocks!

I hope Zebre and Connacht can pull off a couple of upsets there. But will watch every match like I usually do. Here's a decent planet rugby preview article with a badass pic:

7662105_2818386.jpg

Contenders

Leinster

Leinster failed to add the cherry of the PRO12 ***le to the cake of the Heineken Cup after losing 31-30 in the Grand Final to the Ospreys. Victory on home turf would've seen Leinster become the first Celtic team to land a domestic and European double, and the first by any team since London Wasps in 2004. The last of their two Celtic crowns came in 2008, however there is no doubting the talent within Joe Schmidt's squad as they have a group boasting Jonathan Sexton, Sean O'Brien, Rob Kearney, Jamie Heaslip, Cian Healy and the evergreen Brian O'Driscoll. Overseas talents Isa Nacewa and Richardt Strauss have also been a boost, whilst the likes of Tom Denton, Michael Bent, Quinn Roux and Andrew Goodman have all been signed to bolster the 2012/13 squad.

Ospreys

The champions will look to add to their three Celtic ***les when the PRO12 gets under way this weekend. However they will have to kick on without a host of game-breakers in the form of Shane Williams (the match-winner in the final against Leinster), Huw Bennett, Tommy Bowe and Sonny Parker, who are just a few of the names to have left Swansea. The large exodus of experienced players from the Swansea-based region could hamper their bid to defend their ***le, but head coach Steve Tandy still boasts a talented squad, including the likes of Justin Tipuric, Dan Biggar, Ashley Beck, Alun-Wyn Jones and Kahn Fotuali'i.

Munster

Munster fans will be hoping new coach Rob Penney can revive the Red Army's fortunes and become Ireland's - and Europe's - leading outfit again after a disappointing 2011/12 term. Penney guided Canterbury to four domestic ***les on the trot in New Zealand and will look to give Munster the kind of go-forward that was lacking last season. Although Munster won the domestic crown in 2011, adding to their Heineken Cup ***les of 2006 and 2008, they're no longer regarded as the most feared side in the European competition or in the rough and tumble of the Pro12 (that honour now lies with Leinster). As a result they have been busy rebuilding their squad with James Downey, Casey Laulala and CJ Stander the notable arrivals, while Tomas O'Leary and Lifeimi Mafi have left and John Hayes, Mick O'Driscoll, Jerry Flannery, David Wallace, Denis Leamy and Darragh Hurley have all since retired. With what is now a relatively inexperienced group eager to learn and improve, Penney should see his brand of rugby enacted on the field of play. Expect them to challenge for honours.

Outsiders

Cardiff Blues

It has been an off-season of transition at the Blues as new boss Phil Davies arrives looking to turn the region into play-off contenders and maybe more. They are without the likes of Casey Laulala, Paul ***o, Gethin Jenkins this season but have brought in Campese Ma'afu, Andi Kyriacou, Benoît Bourrust, Jason Tovey and Lou Reed. With stars like Sam Warburton, Leigh Halfpenny and also the return from injury of Jamie Roberts, they should be in the mix.

Ulster

Like the aforementioned Blues, there will be a new coach at the helm as Brian McLaughlin moves to a new role and Mark Anscombe arrives from Auckland. Last year's European run was impressive but now the bar's been set for Anscombe, who has not been overly happy with how his side has faired in pre-season. They lose Pedrie Wannenburg, Ian Humphreys, Andi Kyriacou and a retired Stefan Terblance but pick up Roger Wilson and Tommy Bowe.

Scarlets

It was pleasing to see the next Scarlets generation finding their feet in 2011/12 as the likes of Scott Williams, George North, Josh Turnbull, Jonathan Davies and Liam Williams all performed strongly. They ended last term in fifth position but a blow to their cause is the departure of head coach Nigel Davies. Leading the charge will now be former player Simon Easterby, who will look to build on the platform Davies laid. Rhys Priestland is key to them.

Middle of the road

Glasgow

Fourth was a colossal improvement on the previous year when they ended up eleventh so many would think there would be a healthy dose of confidence reverberating around Scotstoun Stadium. But with the departure of both coach Sean Lineen and lock Richie Gray, we expect Glasgow to have a teething period. Men they will hope lead their charge will be Sean Lamont, Ruaridh Jackson, John Barclay, Rory Lamont and captain Alastair Kellock.

Treviso

Treviso proved a tricky opponent last year and away wins over Glasgow, Ulster, Connacht and Dragons were a massive fillip for Italian club rugby. They ended the PRO12 with 7 wins from 22 games while they won and drew one match in the Heineken Cup. Progress is now the buzzword for Franco Smith and he'll look to Tommaso Benvenuti, Leonardo Ghiraldini, Luke McLean, Alessandro Zanni, Doppies La Grange and Christian Loamanu to fire them.

Edinburgh

Like their Scottish neighbour in 2010/11, Edinburgh ended the RaboDirect PRO12 closest to competition whipping boys Aironi. How their Heineken Cup form differed. By the stage of realising that a shock European triumph had become a possibility, their domestic form took a nosedive - at one stage Edinburgh had lost nine out of ten games - so there is definitely room for improvement this campaign. Michael Bradley has brought in Richie Rees, Andy ***terrell, John Yapp, Greig Tonks, Mike Penn and forwards coach Neil Back, but it is Ben Atiga who is one to watch. Of course Scotland winger Tim Visser will be the strike threat.

Destined for the basement

Zebre

Aironi's replacement have assembled a coaching structure of Roberto Manghi (director of rugby), Christian Gajan (technical director), Vincenzo Troiani and Alessandro Troncon (coaches) and Fabio Ongaro (team manager). They will be eager to build on their pre-season 30-28 victory over Northampton, with the form of Salvatore Perugini, ***o Tebaldi, Matteo Pratichetti, Giovanbattista Venditti, Mauro Bergamasco and Daniel Halangahu key.

Dragons

We are afraid that Wales' basement region of 2011/12 could find themselves in a similar position this time around. While they have managed to keep hold of international star Dan Lydiate, the loss of Aled Brew, Martyn Thomas, Luke Charteris and Jason Tovey comes as a blow. Tom Prydie, who performed well in the Junior World Championship is likely to kick from the wing so he is our one to watch, but it is likely that the Dragons will have little puff.

Connacht

Dan Parks' arrival to replace returning Ulsterman Niall O'Connor will add some solidity that Connacht will hope compliments the running of Fetu'u Vainikolo and new signing Danie Poolman. What was encouraging about last year's PRO12 finish was that it was their best ever since the Celtic League moved to a one-division format. By rights they shouldn't have qualified for the Heineken Cup but for successive years, Leinster have done them a favour.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_8027957,00.html

Last edited:
Looking forward to this a lot, it'l be great to finally get some regular club rugby back on tv, its been sorely missed during the summer.

I think Ulster can finally crack the top 2 to have a home semi-final and maybe, maybe even win this. Making the HEC final last season was amazing and despite losing Wannenburg, Kyriacou, Botha and Humphreys (Don't see Terblanche as a big loss since he was already far past his expiration date) they still have a lot of potential and one of these years things should fall into place.

I'm expecting a much bigger challenge from the Scarlets this season. They've recruited well over the summer, replacing the players they lost at the end of last season with some potentially great signings. A lot will depend on how much Nigel Davies is missed, and how Easterby copes as head coach. Player to Watch: could it be anyone else but George North? I wonder if we'll see him make an appearance in the center at some stage this season?

The Blues will struggle without a scrum. Phil Davies is a good coach, so I think he'll bring a huge amount to the Blues, and they'll be much improved on their dismal end of season form. The return to the Arms Park should also see a return of some fans (as well as some atmosphere). How well Jason Tovey beds in could prove to be very important, his passing game is one of his biggest strengths, so we could see Jamie Roberts at his best outside him. It really is such a massive shame that some money couldn't have been found to sign a couple of strong scrummaging props, because the rest of the team is of a very high caliber. Player to watch: Jason Tovey. I think he'll show what the Blues have been missing at 10 since Robinson left. Tovey is very much in the Robinson mold, so should fit in well.

The Dragons are going to struggle this season. Tovey, Charteris and Brew are massive losses. Basically, Lydiate and Faletau can't do it all themselves, and unfortunately that's what it'll look like more often than not. Of course there are some other good players, whilst Prydie and Evans are good signings, but as ever the front five is desperately under strength. Player to watch: Tom Prydie. His kicking will prove invaluable to the Dragons, considering their inexperienced options at 10.

The Ospreys should certainly reach the play-offs, and I'd also expect them to make the final again. They are a strong outfit. Yes, losing Shane and Bowe on the wings is challenging, but I'm confident someone will step up to the mark. Player to watch: Ryan Bevington. He's been second choice to James for a while, but I fully believe he's a better player already and I think he'll show that this season.

Player to Watch: could it be anyone else but George North? I wonder if we'll see him make an appearance in the center at some stage this season?

D'you think?

You not think its better for him to come in off his wing and hit the softer inside shoulder with pace?

D'you think?

You not think its better for him to come in off his wing and hit the softer inside shoulder with pace?

I'd prefer to see him stay on the wing, yes. But the Scarlets may be tempted to try him in the center at some stage.

I'm expecting a much bigger challenge from the Scarlets this season. They've recruited well over the summer, replacing the players they lost at the end of last season with some potentially great signings. A lot will depend on how much Nigel Davies is missed, and how Easterby copes as head coach. Player to Watch: could it be anyone else but George North? I wonder if we'll see him make an appearance in the center at some stage this season?

On North a move to outside centre could be a option later on in the season with Foxy at inside but who would replace him on the wing? So I think he'll likely stay on the wing unless things really go ***s up, also in the Wales set-up he'll likely remain a winger so surely playing 2 positions (regional and international ofc) will hamper his development :/

On the whole I hope to see the Scarlets, Ospreys and Blues pushing for the playoffs, but the Dragons I can see towards the bottom of the table. Oh also it sucks that BBC2W seem to only be showing the Ospreys game this weekend.. guess I have to find a place to watch the other games :/

Last edited:
On North a move to outside centre could be a option later on in the season with Foxy at inside but who would replace him on the wing? So I think he'll likely stay on the wing unless things really go ***s up, also in the Wales set-up he'll likely remain a winger so surely playing 2 positions (regional and international ofc) will hamper his development :/

On the whole I hope to see the Scarlets, Ospreys and Blues pushing for the playoffs, but the Dragons I can see towards the bottom of the table. Oh also it sucks that BBC2W seem to only be showing the Ospreys game this weekend.. guess I have to find a place to watch the other games :/

Yup, you're probably right re North. As for other games, S4C are showing the Scralets v Leinster game. If you haven't got sky, you can always watch online, I use Zattoo which has S4C with the English commentary. Much better quality than from the S4C website. You've gotta sign up, but they don't send you any junk.

We should be aiming for a higher ranking in the league this year and a few extra wins in the H cup when considering that the depth in our squad has been significantly strengthened, and we have a more settled team this year.

Leinster and Munster will always bee there, there about's as usual, and Ulster most likely make the semi's of the Rabo if they play with form

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up dull, didnt think of checking S4C and will sign up to Zattoo now.. We have sky just downstairs so wont be able to watch it there.

The Dragons' team to make glorious winnings of horses for President Hazell is about as good as we can get right now.
We are backing on Tuilagi remaining as decent as he was in the preseason. The less said about the tight five, the better.

The Dragons' team to make glorious winnings of horses for President Hazell is about as good as we can get right now.
We are backing on Tuilagi remaining as decent as he was in the preseason. The less said about the tight five, the better.

Tuilagi was actually decent in preseason?!?

Tuilagi was actually decent in preseason?!?

If you believe Draggedup ;)
Let's face it, an improvement in Tuilagi wouldn't be that incredible, when you look at his performance last season.

I like out back three. Should be even better when Chavhanga gets back. Our inside backs for the season are a worry. We are really banking on young players stepping up to the mark, possible, bust asking quite a bit. We also need the select the right players. (Jonathan Evans, Jonathan Evans, Jonathan Evans; if I type it three times he must start, right?)

The Blues will struggle without a scrum. Phil Davies is a good coach, so I think he'll bring a huge amount to the Blues, and they'll be much improved on their dismal end of season form. The return to the Arms Park should also see a return of some fans (as well as some atmosphere). How well Jason Tovey beds in could prove to be very important, his passing game is one of his biggest strengths, so we could see Jamie Roberts at his best outside him. It really is such a massive shame that some money couldn't have been found to sign a couple of strong scrummaging props, because the rest of the team is of a very high caliber. Player to watch: Jason Tovey. I think he'll show what the Blues have been missing at 10 since Robinson left. Tovey is very much in the Robinson mold, so should fit in well.

The Dragons are going to struggle this season. Tovey, Charteris and Brew are massive losses. Basically, Lydiate and Faletau can't do it all themselves, and unfortunately that's what it'll look like more often than not. Of course there are some other good players, whilst Prydie and Evans are good signings, but as ever the front five is desperately under strength. Player to watch: Tom Prydie. His kicking will prove invaluable to the Dragons, considering their inexperienced options at 10.

The Ospreys should certainly reach the play-offs, and I'd also expect them to make the final again. They are a strong outfit. Yes, losing Shane and Bowe on the wings is challenging, but I'm confident someone will step up to the mark. Player to watch: Ryan Bevington. He's been second choice to James for a while, but I fully believe he's a better player already and I think he'll show that this season.

You most likely won't be seeing Roberts play that much for Cardiff.

Will wait and see before I say much about Ulster. What last season proved is we don't have the depth to compete on two fronts. We have the team to take it to any team not called Leinster, but when players start falling so does the win ratio.

So, our next step lives and dies by the depth of our squad and a few other factors. We've got rid of a lot of the squad players and are instead relying on youngsters and unproven players. The backline for Glasgow is as good an example of that as any - Jared Payne is the only player older than 21 in the backline and Chris Farrell is only 19. If these players don't step up then we have a problem in the here and now.

And, of course, the other factors are huge. New coach. A huge question mark over 10. And big burdens of responsibility on our replacement 9s and 6s.

So, until I see where these things are, I can't really say what's going to happen. I'm optimistic - I think the kids have a hell of a lot of talent, and the likes of Black, Diack, G'wan G'wan and Williams have really put their hands up pre-season - but we won't know until it's happened. Which happens very soon!

Should we expect to see gale conditions in Galway again?

Cardiff Blues: 15. Dan Fish 14. Harry Robinson 13.Gavin Evans 12. Gareth Davies 11. Tom James 10. Ceri Sweeney 9. Lewis Jones
8. Andries Pretorius (c) 7. Josh Navidi 6. Rory Watts- Jones 5. James Down 4. Robin Copeland 3. Taufa'ao Filise 2. Andi Kyriacou 1. Thomas Davies

Replacements: 16. Rhys Williams 17. Beniot Borrust 18. Nathan Trevett 19. Lou Reed 20. Luke Hamilton 21. Lloyd Williams 22. Cory Allen 23. Tom Williams 24. Owen Williams

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Scarlets:15 Liam Williams, 14 George North, 13 Gareth Maule, 12 Scott Williams, 11 Andy Fenby
10 Aled Thomas, 9 Tavis Knoyle, 1 Rhodri Jones, 2 Ken Owens, 3 Deacon Manu, 4 George Earle, 5 Richard Kelly , 6 Aaron Shingler, 7 Josh Turnbull, 8 Rob McCusker (capt)

Replacements: 16 Matthew Rees, 17 Phil John, 18 Samson Lee, 19 Sione Timani, 20 Kieran Murphy, 21 Gareth Davies, 22 Rhys Priestland, 23 Jonathan Davies

Last edited:
Will wait and see before I say much about Ulster. What last season proved is we don't have the depth to compete on two fronts. We have the team to take it to any team not called Leinster, but when players start falling so does the win ratio.

So, our next step lives and dies by the depth of our squad and a few other factors. We've got rid of a lot of the squad players and are instead relying on youngsters and unproven players. The backline for Glasgow is as good an example of that as any - Jared Payne is the only player older than 21 in the backline and Chris Farrell is only 19. If these players don't step up then we have a problem in the here and now.

And, of course, the other factors are huge. New coach. A huge question mark over 10. And big burdens of responsibility on our replacement 9s and 6s.

So, until I see where these things are, I can't really say what's going to happen. I'm optimistic - I think the kids have a hell of a lot of talent, and the likes of Black, Diack, G'wan G'wan and Williams have really put their hands up pre-season - but we won't know until it's happened. Which happens very soon!

Yeah the backline has an average age of 21 and Gilroy has double the amount of senior appearences as the rest of the backline put together. Also only one Irish born father.

Forecasts seem to be for cloudy, with a south westerly wind of 39km/h and a temperature of 17 degrees at midday.

Am led to believe you should also expect to see creatures of an ursine nature defecating in areas of arboreal wilderness.

Latest posts