• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Radike Samo joins Reds

Intercept King JDV

Bench Player
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
The Reds have signed experienced former Wallaby forward Radike Samo as an injury replacement for captain and lock James Horwill.

Fijian-born Samo, 33, who has been playing in Japan after a stint in France, made his test debut in 2004 against Scotland while playing for the Brumbies and played six tests that year.

Reds Head Coach Ewen McKenzie said the Reds had been talking to Samo since Horwill suffered his season-ending knee injury but family matters prevented him joining the team until now.

Samo returned to Australia in February and has been playing club rugby in Sydney until this week.

"We always knew we'd be walking a bit of a tightrope in the lock position until we found cover for James for the rest of the year and we'd been lucky so far not to get caught short," McKenzie said.

"But with Van (Humphries) injured, Radike's arrival has come at the right time.

"Having more depth at lock will help immensely with some of the big games ahead and adding his experience to the squad will also be invaluable."

Samo played 35 Super Rugby games and scored four tries for the Brumbies between 2000 and 2006, also starring in the Brumbies 2004 championship campaign.

Meanwhile, Reds lock Humphries will miss this Friday's match against the Stormers with muscle and ligament damage to his ankle.

McKenzie said his fitness will be reassessed next week.
Source

Wow what a surprise to hear his name again!Thought he retired a long time ago but now I see he's been making it big in Japan?He still won't be a match for Bekker though;)

I remember him being a very good player back in the day

Thought he was going to sign for the Rebel's ... be good to see him again in S14.

I used to really love this guy. Had such a great season with the Brumbies and made the Wallabies the same year, then he just dropped off the radar and went over seas. Fastest lock I have ever seen and his ball skills were as good as a centre.

HA! what a blast from the past. i thought he must have been dead. only had one good season for the brumbies (twas good though) and couldn't make the step up to international level but i hope he gets a game, would be interesting at the very least.

he had such promising talent in 04, i remember him bullying Kelleher in the semi final that year lol. then i remember seeing him the next season in 05 with the big afro its like he was a totally different player, good to see him back though hopefully he can get back to good form.

Latest posts