• Yes it is amazing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes it is a good game

• Not sure, could have been a bit better

• No not up to it

• No terrible, what were they doing in between World Championship Rugby and RC2006!

• Total voters
Originally posted by .:kaftka:.+Feb 6 2006, 09:54 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (.:kaftka:. @ Feb 6 2006, 09:54 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-frontline
@Feb 6 2006, 08:40 PM
so the game is worth getting then i take it. might get it on ps2 for multi player and get ea rugby 06 on pc for single player mode.
Sounds like a good idea.

On the Sprint Bar issue. I just unlocked something that gives you unlimited sprint which I though may be good, however, you can only use it in Friendlys. Bah!

EDIT: Oh, and I was getting thrashed at a game (well, 14-0 down half time...) and my little brother told me to hurry up so he could play some Far Cry, so I just gave him the controller and said "Righto", and when I got back from snorting coke, there he was playing my game. Bloody well too! He hadn't scored, but he was playing pretty good for a guy who hates rugby and most sports videogames... [/b]
How was the game after the coke?

Originally posted by ..::ERIC::..+Feb 6 2006, 08:59 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (..::ERIC::.. @ Feb 6 2006, 08:59 PM)</div>
Originally posted by .:kaftka:.@Feb 6 2006, 09:54 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-frontline
@Feb 6 2006, 08:40 PM
so the game is worth getting then i take it. might get it on ps2 for multi player and get ea rugby 06 on pc for single player mode.

Sounds like a good idea.

On the Sprint Bar issue. I just unlocked something that gives you unlimited sprint which I though may be good, however, you can only use it in Friendlys. Bah!

EDIT: Oh, and I was getting thrashed at a game (well, 14-0 down half time...) and my little brother told me to hurry up so he could play some Far Cry, so I just gave him the controller and said "Righto", and when I got back from snorting coke, there he was playing my game. Bloody well too! He hadn't scored, but he was playing pretty good for a guy who hates rugby and most sports videogames...
How was the game after the coke? [/b]
Still lost. But after that I played a game against him. Thrashed him by something - something, then we played Far Cry, then I went into town.

Perhaps you should stay off the drugs then. Very bad when your trying to play video games.

Originally posted by ..::ERIC::..@Feb 6 2006, 09:04 PM
Perhaps you should stay off the drugs then. Very bad when your trying to play video games.
HA!! That's funny.... The coke was for my brother fool.

I think it’s a good game, although I agree with the comments already posted about the sprint meter. If they wanted to stop people sprinting all the time maybe a better solution would be to make the player get tired earlier in the game (needing to replaced earlier).

I also agree that the game is very easy to pick up and play. I think this has been done at the expense of “feeling†like rugby. I played a whole tournament without being about to win a scrum or lineout (can’t get the timing right, white man rhythm…) yet was still winning games comfortable. Same with kicking, can’t do it yet, so didn’t.
I wasn’t punished by the game for not clearing my lines or being able to win my set pieces. That makes it not rugby in my opinion.

Even with all that it’s still an enjoyable game and I’m sure when the I get the hang of the stuff I’m struggling with it will improve.

Originally posted by ..::ERIC::..@Feb 6 2006, 09:10 PM
Its funny because I changed you quote.

Hillarity ensues.
Yes. That's what I said was funny.

Like I said, the Coke was for my little brother, okay?

...Sheesh.

Originally posted by Kirwan@Feb 6 2006, 09:11 PM
I think it’s a good game, although I agree with the comments already posted about the sprint meter. If they wanted to stop people sprinting all the time maybe a better solution would be to make the player get tired earlier in the game (needing to replaced earlier).

I also agree that the game is very easy to pick up and play. I think this has been done at the expense of “feeling†like rugby. I played a whole tournament without being about to win a scrum or lineout (can’t get the timing right, white man rthym…) yet was still winning games comfortable. Same with kicking, can’t do it yet, so didn’t.
I wasn’t punished by the game for not clearing my lines or being able to win my set pieces. That makes it not rugby in my opinion.

Even with all that it’s still an enjoyable game and I’m sure when the I get the hang of the stuff I’m struggling with it will improve.
That's odd, I find it very easy to win scrums. Even against the head.

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.+Feb 6 2006, 09:16 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (.:kaftka:. @ Feb 6 2006, 09:16 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Kirwan
@Feb 6 2006, 09:11 PM

I also agree that the game  is very easy to pick up and play. I think this has been done at the expense of “feeling†like rugby. I played a whole tournament without being about to win a scrum or lineout (can’t get the timing right, white man rthym…) yet was still winning games comfortable. Same with kicking, can’t do it yet, so didn’t.

That's odd, I find it very easy to win scrums. Even against the head. [/b]
Yeah, am probably missing something simple. Haven't put much effort into it as there aren't many scrums.

Originally posted by Kirwan+Feb 6 2006, 09:26 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kirwan @ Feb 6 2006, 09:26 PM)</div>
Originally posted by .:kaftka:.@Feb 6 2006, 09:16 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Kirwan
@Feb 6 2006, 09:11 PM

I also agree that the game  is very easy to pick up and play. I think this has been done at the expense of “feeling†like rugby. I played a whole tournament without being about to win a scrum or lineout (can’t get the timing right, white man rthym…) yet was still winning games comfortable. Same with kicking, can’t do it yet, so didn’t.

That's odd, I find it very easy to win scrums. Even against the head.
Yeah, am probably missing something simple. Haven't put much effort into it as there aren't many scrums. [/b]
To be fair, I have just completed playing Fahrenheit, so my rhythm has been trained...

You know, there's one thing that really ****** me off about this game. It's a personal thing, and maybe people will take the ****.

I hate the fact you can't see the ball sail into the stands when you boot it into touch. In JLR it was great to see it going off the pitch, and enabling you to take quick throw ins.

Same with Brian Lara cricket. If i hit a six, i wanna see it going into the crowd!
<

Just me? (runs and hides)

Originally posted by bman2112@Feb 7 2006, 12:54 AM
You know, there's one thing that really ****** me off about this game. It's a personal thing, and maybe people will take the ****.

I hate the fact you can't see the ball sail into the stands when you boot it into touch. In JLR it was great to see it going off the pitch, and enabling you to take quick throw ins.

Same with Brian Lara cricket. If i hit a six, i wanna see it going into the crowd!
<

Just me? (runs and hides)
The game is a lot more limited than JLR in just about every way. The problem is that these days, sports games have to have really detailed player models and animations - and anything that the players do/can't do has to be built around this.

In lomus, there was hardly any animation, and therefore there was no need for the game mechanics to be a slave to the animation, as is the case with the newer rugby games.

Unless a really big outfit commits a ot of time to a Rugby game, with a Madden style budget, we are never going to see a really great rugby game, as it's just so hard to do. Lomu's might well never be beaten!!

The amount of control you have over the game in lomus is phenomenal. I love the way that when the ball is in a ruck, you control the receiver - you can make him run on and take the ball flat, you can make him drift across to take it, run back into the pocket, or take it standing still. When defending, you also get to control a player not in the ruck, so you can line up the guy you want to tackle, you can change the player to a bigger one to try and get the big hit in.

I love how the ball has no 'intelligence' - in the newer games, the ball flies banana style into the hands of the player who is being passed the ball, and it looks daft. In Lomu's, when you pass the ball, it moves on its own, and you control the player it is headong towards. This allows you to come in and meet the ball at any angle you like.

The lineout in Lomus is perfect as well - you throw the ball in, and then you are free to move around your players, change the selected player, and time your jump.

At every stage of the game, Lomu's allows you full fluid control of the player - all possible because of the lack of the need to match up game actions with animations. In contrast, the newer rugby games allow to do a lot less, and the games consequently have a lot less depth, and are also much less responsive to control.

Having said all that, I think RC2006 is pretty decent, and as a one player game, its better than Lomus. It's certainly the best non-Lomu's rugby game out there.

i tell ya what there's a little trick with the sprint metre and now i am loving it

without the sprint metre this game would NOT be the same

tactical use of the sprint is crucial

u dont wanna be holding it down all day long and passing

u wanna only use it when u see space.......if not used, passing is electric as u have more time to gauge a pattern in passing to break the line........ie cut-out then inside ball to man that was cut-out.......inside ball then back out to outside, u can execute these patterns with alot more accuracy without the sprint, as u arent sprinting before catching it

in the end, u'll finish of with more stamina, and finding space and making breaks in the final 20mins really satisfies, as u have conservatively used sprint during the match

brilliant :cheers:

Originally posted by ak47@Feb 7 2006, 09:02 AM
i tell ya what there's a little trick with the sprint metre and now i am loving it

u wanna only use it when u see space.......if not used, passing is electric as u have more time to gauge a pattern in passing to break the line........ie cut-out then inside ball to man that was cut-out.......inside ball then back out to outside, u can execute these patterns with alot more accuracy without the sprint, as u arent sprinting before catching it

in the end, u'll finish of with more stamina, and finding space and making breaks in the final 20mins really satisfies, as u have conservatively used sprint during the match

Ive never had a problem with the sprint meter. I can see why people dont like it but I actually think it adds to the gameplay, if not the realism.

I found out something to do with the sprint meter when I was mucking about in British Bulldog.

You can sprint for a small amount of time before the sprint meter begins to go down. You can therefore tap the sprint button on and off and your stamina never goes down, and you go that little bit faster.

that only happens on Fun and Normal mode i think

In intensive care it drains much quicker

Yeah... I just figured that out today. Great tactic. you shuffle it through the midfield, spt a gap, go full bore through the gap, offload to a centre, spin it wide and head down the wing.... That's actually never happened for me. In theory it should work though, I just panic and offload it at silly times/directions and cough over the ball...

u wanna only use it when u see space.......if not used, passing is electric as u have more time to gauge a pattern in passing to break the line........ie cut-out then inside ball to man that was cut-out.......inside ball then back out to outside, u can execute these patterns with alot more accuracy without the

Dude ... thank you ... thank you ... thank you. This is how the sprint was designed and is meant to be used.

I play Pro Evo a lot - yeah, I know it's a pencil neck sport but it's fun - and if I play against someone who just rams his finger permanently on the sprint trigger, you know you are going to own them.

Same with RC2006.

Originally posted by Trev@Swordfish+Feb 7 2006, 10:14 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-ak47
@Feb 7 2006, 09:02 AM

u wanna only use it when u see space.......if not used, passing is electric as u have more time to gauge a pattern in passing to break the line........ie cut-out then inside ball to man that was cut-out.......inside ball then back out to outside, u can execute these patterns with alot more accuracy without the

Dude ... thank you ... thank you ... thank you. This is how the sprint was designed and is meant to be used.

I play Pro Evo a lot - yeah, I know it's a pencil neck sport but it's fun - and if I play against someone who just rams his finger permanently on the sprint trigger, you know you are going to own them.

Same with RC2006. [/b]
Yeah, it took me a while to work it out really. I used to just stick my thumb down on the Y button almost the whole time (increases the chances of knock ons as well I think)....

The part I like the most though is that forwards can actually run in this game. In WCR they were useless. Absolutely useless. In RC2006 they actually have a reasonable ammount of speed, and the big ones can also break quite a few tackles. Makes it more of 15 man game as opposed to a 7 man one.

Well I got the game last night and to be honest so far it is exactly how I expected but thats not necessarily a bad thing! It is clearly a fun game and much better than WCR, but I will disappointed if EA 2006 is not better, especially on single player. As everyone says as a fun pick up and play game it can't be beaten but I find it hard to take arcade games seriuosly, and even after a few games I was beginning to get a bit bored. However as Locks and Knowlsey have advised i'll keep going with it!

I love the fast pace of the game, and the graphics on PC are sublime. Again people have talked about the lack of atmosphere and so far this is the one thing that really lets the game down. I can't understand why they couldn't have invested a bit more time on crowd sounds etc

A couple of things I havn't worked out yet is how to pop the ball up to a forward from the ruck. Is there a button to enable you to do this? I can pick the ball up from the back of the ruch but there doesn't seem to be a pop ball option.

Also is there a button for shoulder charging or are the only two moves the side step and hand off?

I have started a 6 nations tournament as England and so far have won my first two games. I thumped the scots 33-5 and narrowly beat Italy in Rome 10-7. France at Twickenham next!

Over and out

p.s the instruction manual is pants :wall:

Latest posts