• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Real life Fantasy Rugby with a real life team

R

RoyalBlueStuey

What do you reckon about this? Anyone fancy picking my local rugby club's line-up? :

http://www.mywaterloorugby.com/

Ben Kay launches new “fantasy rugby†website.

A REVOLUTIONARY new website is launched today to give rugby fans all over the world the chance to play “fantasy rugby†â€" but with a real team.

The website will be revealed to the public for the first time in Twickenham’s England Rugby International Club by ex-Waterloo players Ben Kay and Stuart Turner.

www.mywaterloorugby.com is a groundbreaking concept in Rugby management, giving on-line members the power to make real decisions about senior rugby at Waterloo Rugby Club.

Every week the on-line managers will be asked to make one key commercial decision and will also be given the opportunity to pick the team. All the selections will be aggregated and the players with most votes in each position will be the 15 presented to the director of rugby. He will be allowed up to four changes, to ensure for example there is a kicker on the field, the centres are a balanced pair and so on.

Online managers will earn points for every one of their selections that takes the field and they will earn (or lose) further points for tries, assists, tackles made/missed, red and yellow cards etc. Points totals will be accumulated in a managers league table.

The best performing manager each month will be invited to be guests at Waterloo for a forthcoming home game. Their travel expenses will be covered by www.mywaterloorugby.com whether they are coming from Crosby or Cape Town.

And at the end of the season, the manager at the top of the league will win a cash prize of up to £10,000.

Directors at Liverpool’s Waterloo came up with www.mywaterloorugby.com in a bid to keep the historic club alive in what is becoming an increasingly challenging Rugby Union funding landscape.

Waterloo chairman Simon Robb said: “Basically Waterloo is in the last-chance saloon.

“But we don’t want sympathy.

“We want Rugby Fan’s support, participation and of course a little bit of their cash.

“In return, the fans get to run the club and the chance to win some big prizes. It’s a great deal for everyone

“Waterloo gets the money it so desperately needs and it connects with its fans and the wider rugby community like no club has ever done before.

“At the same time thousands of ordinary people get to run a very real rugby club.â€

For just a £25 subscription Rugby fans can become the team’s managers. Every penny of every subscription after expenses goes straight to funding the future success of Waterloo FC. www.mywaterloorugby.com is a not-for-profit organisation.

Dave Raywood, www.mywaterloorugby.com director, said: “If anyone’s got a better idea we’d love to hear it.

“We’ve tried just about everything else â€" the traditional way hasn’t worked.

“Last season, the club asked every member if they could donate or lend £1000 each so we would have enough cash to fulfill our fixture list. That’s when we realised it was time to think outside the box.â€

He added: “It will of course shock the life out of the traditionalists â€" the ‘Blazers’ who are still stuck in the 1950’s.

“The reality is that these days we are a small, nearly-broke club with below-average facilities and pathetic spectator numbers.

“If the unthinkable happens and Waterloo folds, where will the next Ben Kay or Austin Healey come from?

“Rugby needs clubs at this level more than any other, if talent is to be found and developed.â€

Waterloo has produced other great players, including three of England’s 2003 World Cup winning squad, Ben Kay, Will Greenwood and Paul Grayson, and also the likes of Austin Healey, Kyran Bracken, Stuart Turner and Andy ***terrell.

Waterloo was also home to Will Greenwood’s equally famous rugby playing father Dick, who went on to become England’s first- ever national coach. He said: "So we get to pick the team and make all the other big decisions too.

“To help us, every week there will be match videos along with player and match stats available online.

“I wish I'd had that much information when I became England's national coach in 1983."

Other founding managers include England international and Sale Sharks player Stuart Turner.

He said: “I have so many happy memories of Waterloo and I still have many friends there.

“No-one has ever seen anything like this before in rugby and I sincerely hope it's a huge success.

“I know I'll be voting every week.â€

Mike Slemen, Liverpool, England and British Lions (and Merchant Taylors' School rugby coach for the last 34 years) said: "What a marvelously original idea.

“So many Merchant Taylors' boys have gone on to play at Waterloo over the years and I used to relish playing against them myself.

“It would be fantastic to see this grand old club succeeding once again and I wish them all the very best of luck."

Waterloo has a thriving mini and junior section, teaching the game to hundreds of youngsters every week and a strong ladies team too.

Gill Burns, MBE, founded women’s rugby at Waterloo twenty years ago this year and was team captain for many years and recently Club President.

She was also captain of England and a World Cup winner and Lioness. She is the current President of the WRFU and member of the Rugby Hall of Fame.

She added: "We have a proud history of innovation at Waterloo.

“This year we celebrate 20 years of women's rugby an now this - the world's first rugby club run by an online community of managers!

“I am sure it's going to be a huge success and I can't wait for the fun to begin.â€

Great idea if you ask me, very good way of getting the fans really involved with the club.

I remember a football team doing this a year or two ago, and it was supposed to be really succesful, so good luck to Waterloo Rugby Club!

At first I thought it was a zany promotional stunt, but the concept's pretty clever.

At the very least, it'll get the more casual fan looking deeper into rugby, and many non-fans will notice, at the very least, Waterloo themselves, if not rugby as a whole.

Latest posts