• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Red Dead

Happy RDR2 day. Reviews i've read so far justify the hype, so really looking forward to picking up a copy.

Who's picking up their copy today?

Happy RDR2 day. Reviews i've read so far justify the hype, so really looking forward to picking up a copy.

Who's picking up their copy today?

Ordered mine off Amazon, so should be there for when I get home... not that I'll get much chance to start it this wknd.

Will try and delete some game data and get the install done at least tho.

Played an hour or so so far, enjoying it a lot.

Be prepared for some long old cut scenes, feels like I've been watching a tv show rather than playing a game, haha. Got a lot of scene setting and world building to go though, I'm not even at the open world yet.

Graphically etc. incredible, as expected.

Also the install time was way quicker than expected - it comes on 2 discs, so the majority of the big day 1 install is actually from the disc so it was way quicker than anticipated (think maybe an hr to do the 100gb instead of the 12 it'd take online)
3.5ish GB patch as well though

I'd preordered it. Was about to go to bed and realized it was after midnight so should be available. Played like two hours. Haven't played too much since but really like it.

Pre-ordered but havent had a chance to go to Game and pick it up. Regretting doing it via them slightly as I literally could've picked it up with less hassle from a supermarket today for more or less the same price...

Likely will be able to play it on Sunday, and luckily have a massive external hard drive linked up to my PS4 so should be able to install right away

I read the first two hours of the game are really slow and just basically showing you the controls for the game and how to play for the rest of the game. But once you're passed this point the game gets better and better.

Just ordered my copy from CEX using my voucher I got for my PS3. So hopefully receive my copy next week. Can't wait.

My PS4's hard drive naturally chose last week to randomly evaporate, so I'll have to wait a couple of weeks before I get it back with a new one. I'll be picking up a copy of this shortly afterwards. Thought its predecessor was the best game of the last generation, so I've been psyched for this one. It looks great.

Game was at the foot of my door when I got in from work... ordered the special edition (yeah I'm an easy mark) and although I haven't got the time to start in tonight, I did open the package to check out the map(s).

There's a normal one and a more in-depth version for the SE. The more in depth map shows each of the 5 states in some detail as well as a break down of each distinct region within each state (15 regions across all states) and then an extreme close up of the three major settlements - Blackwater (will be cool to revisit), Valentine (a little smaller than Blackwater) and Saint Denis (which looks massive).

Looks huge!

Game was at the foot of my door when I got in from work... ordered the special edition (yeah I'm an easy mark) and although I haven't got the time to start in tonight, I did open the package to check out the map(s).

There's a normal one and a more in-depth version for the SE. The more in depth map shows each of the 5 states in some detail as well as a break down of each distinct region within each state (15 regions across all states) and then an extreme close up of the three major settlements - Blackwater (will be cool to revisit), Valentine (a little smaller than Blackwater) and Saint Denis (which looks massive).

Looks huge!
Realised I didn't even look inside the case when mine arrived this morning, gonna have a look at the map now haha.

I've played all afternoon and still only uncovered about 10% of the map in game

I really am fully loving this game,

Seen a lot of criticism saying it's too slow etc but I think it suits it down to the ground - RDR1 was (essentially) reskinned GTA with horses, but with this game the franchise has found it's own place.
Feels more like Kingdom Come with guns than a wild west GTA

The RPG elements (options in talking, antagonizing/greeting) are a nice touch as well.
Just being an asshole to people for no reason to pick a fight

The world is so fleshed out as well, you can follow the little story lines of random strangers you come across,
And seeing smoke on the horizon and following it to a camp etc

So, I have just finished my first sesh on Red Dead and... its not 'it' it's me! I used to love open world games, Rockstar Games in particular... but I guess I don't anymore. In fairness to the game it is beautiful to look at, the world is wonderfully crafted and the characters seem (after about 8 hours play) like they could be some of the best R* has ever produced.

If I had played this game 10, maybe even 5 years ago it would probably be my favourite game to that point but my gaming tastes appear to have drastically changed in the last few years. It just felt like (to me) that the vast majority of the 8 hours I sunk in today was consumed by riding my horse. At least driving a car around GTA V's San Andreas is fun due to the near perfect driving physics (& decent soundtrack) but riding a horse is (for me) just plain boring. No exaggeration but I almost fell asleep while riding with Bill Williamson and John Marston to take out a rival gangs camp... I don't play video games to be put to sleep!

I have taken this week off to 'immerse' myself in this experience and feel pretty devastated that I think I am going to have to reschedule my week as if I keep 'moseying in the wilderness' I will return to work on Monday morning furious that I have brushed my horse more than I've pulled the trigger.

The gunplay element while decent and probably a slight step up from GTA V is not enough for me to plough the hours in that this game requires.

Yeah I completely hear you on the travel thing - it took me a while to not hate it (Now I just keep an eye out for stuff to hunt or strangers to meet etc). It's definitely a completely different feel to most modern games.

As above: Fast travel is a life saver. You unlock it by buying the map in camp upgrades and then it appears by Arthur's bed. Think it's $325 or so

Yeah I completely hear you on the travel thing - it took me a while to not hate it (Now I just keep an eye out for stuff to hunt or strangers to meet etc). It's definitely a completely different feel to most modern games.

As above: Fast travel is a life saver. You unlock it by buying the map in camp upgrades and then it appears by Arthur's bed. Think it's $325 or so

I've been doing that mostly - go off exploring for a bit and keeping an eye out for stuff to do. Then end up getting a train back to somewhere closer to the camp to save time.

Did not realise that the map by Arthur's bed let you fast travel... Will have to purchase that asap.

Will give it another session at least and make a decision on whether to continue after I have fast travel unlocked.

Played another 8 hrs or so today... and unlocked the fast travel. Did enjoy it a bit more and felt like I got more stuff done (like 25% according to my game save). Decided I'm ploughing on for the rest of the week as I've deleted so many games off the hard drive to install RDR2 that it'd be rude not too.

It's actually sad there's no pc version yet again.

That's because the consoles don't want to be upstaged and they would be if a PC version came out at the same time. I got GTA V on console first, then on PC a year later and there was some difference. (That raises another question about paying for the same software twice)

It looks great on consoles anyway but Rockstar probably profit more from delaying it on pc, then bringing it out on pc which then gets the game more hype and players who have both console and pc will buy it again. Plus like i said, they're probably paid by the consoles to delay it on pc.

Latest posts