Referee decisions during World Cup

Discussion in 'Rugby World Cup 2019' started by Umaga's Witness, Sep 23, 2019.

1. themole25

themole25 First XV

Club or Nation:

Western Province

Nah. Poor sportsmanship is palming a guy in the face cause your getting your ass handed to you.

drawing attention to it is smart gamesmanship. I’ll start worrying about getting rid of embellishment when bullshit like whitelock throwing a fit is gone from the game.

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Every Time Ref

Every Time Ref First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Bath

Mate, I've seen you post and I know you're a rational human being. But we're all prone to bias towards our own team, it's no criticism of you personally, but do you think maybe that's what's going on here...? Whitelock hit someone in the face, that is a clear penalty within the laws, there really isn't any argument about that.

Whether Farrell milked it is another question, but there is no law or precedent for overturning a foul play penalty because the victim milked it.

A player from Team A hit a player from Team B in the face. Team B were awarded a penalty.

"Not the worst decision in the game" is a bit of an understatement!

• Like Like x 3
  4. themole25

themole25 First XV

Club or Nation:

Western Province

this is important. It’s illegal to pretend an act happened when it didn’t but not illegal to make something of an act that did happen.

Code:
    Law 9.7c
    UNFAIR PLAY

Do anything that may lead the match officials 
    to consider that an opponent has committed 
    an infringement

• Like Like x 1
  5. Every Time Ref

Every Time Ref First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Bath

Fair play mate, sleep well

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rinkadink

Rinkadink Bench Player

Club or Nation:

Bristol

Would like to see incident again as not sure if headbutt or similar was involved or not and TV coverage only showed the one brief replay for some reason.

Would be surprised if it was Farrell milking it to be honest so perhaps more than we've seen. If it turns out he did ham it up to unreasonable levels then I will condemn it for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ragerancher

ragerancher First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Bath

Only gripes from an England perspective was how many penalties the ABs conceded before getting an official warning and how the official warning wasn't then followed through when the ABs continued to infringe. Also how many forward passes did the ABs get away with? Not even 50/50 calls but really obvious ones.

8. Which Tyler

Which Tyler First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Bath

As far as I can see, the only downvotes you got were for the "everybody is biased against New Zealand" act.
    As for the thought that this board idolises Farrell - that comment can only be made by someone who hasn't read anything written in any England thread in the last 6 years

• Like Like x 4
  9. RedruthRFC

RedruthRFC First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

England

This is a valid point that has got lost in the weasel words. I think it's unedifying, but given the way that the teams of four have performed in this World Cup, I had made my peace with the fact that you're a fool if you don't do it. As things stand, the unwillingness or inability of the team of four to spot foul play without having it highlighted to them and being given a breather in which to do so is positively encouraging players to provide them with this opportunity.

It's a lose lose situation. If Farrell shrugged it off any played on, I'm fairly sure nothing would have come of the incident. That was avoided, but it took some unedifying conduct to ensure that justice was done. Maybe we should have a referral system in place to discourage this.

• Like Like x 1
  10. scotty507

scotty507 First XV

Club or Nation:

Exeter

Underhills disallowed try. Right decision technically but for me whitelock did bite in on him, if he didnt bite in and attempt the hit and stood off him he would have been in a position to make the tackle. So my question is what are the rules on crossing? I wasnt annoyed it was dissallowed and im not now im just curious on the interpritation in this case.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nudger

Nudger Bench Player

Youngs disallowed try was knocked on by rattalic or what ever his name is

12. ncurd

ncurd International

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Bath

I don't know exactly but Owens did say he wanted to know if it made a difference. So if you don't think he'd have made it the try should standm

With my extreme bias I think Whitelock bit the dummy before the cross so I think it should of stood on those grounds.

13. Reiser99

Reiser99 First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Leicester

So basically if Farrell had been tough and just got on with it then Retallick would have got away with it and NZ would have had a penalty instead or England. I agree that it's not great to look at, but just don't see any controversy here. For me personally Retallick was the git for pushing Farrell in the face when he was already falling backwards. It was completely uncalled for and the sign of a frustrated player losing and taking it out on the opposition.

14. Yoshimitsu

Yoshimitsu Academy Player

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

England

I've watched the game back in full. For a paragon of non-Hollywood action Whitelock spends an awful lot of the game waving his arms about and shouting "ref" whenever he feels the need to. I suspect that his actions are almost 100% attributable to an incident just after half time when Whitelock is an a good position holding a player up and Farrell supermans him knocking him off his feet. Whitelock then does the age old trick of regaining his feet by putting all of his weight through the one arm that he has firmly planted on Farrell's neck. He's looking for an excuse, finds one and Farrell takes advantage. Stupid play and I reckon why he was hooked immediately after.

15. scotty507

scotty507 First XV

Club or Nation:

Exeter

My bias opinion too great dummy line, whitelock wraps up curry(chose to make the tackle) resd the play and he goes for sinks. Try should stand IMVBO (very biased).

Even if we had lost this game and that had been disallowed is have come to the same conclusion but also do also understand why it was disallowed tbh.

16. Cruz_del_Sur

Cruz_del_Sur First XV

Country Flag:

Argentina

Club or Nation:

CASI

You are smarter, way smarter than that.
    Pls don't join the tinfoil hat club.

17. Every Time Ref

Every Time Ref First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Bath

I thought it was absolutely the right decision to disallow because he was in front of the play, which makes him offside, which makes anything he does which impacts the game illegal. I think a lot of those you get away with, but I’d rather see them given.

Another key thing to note though is that if Sinckler had given the pass instead of going himself, you take that out the game. I think that was the wrong decision from him

18. Reiser99

Reiser99 First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Leicester

Ok, so I agree that I don't want to see people exaggerating things to get others in trouble and I hope that Farrell doesn't make it a habit. However where I disagree is that it belongs on this thread. It was unsporting, but it was a penalty to England as you can't just shove your hand in someone's face and push them over, regardless of how they act after. Yes play acting has no place, but at no point does it excuse or cancel the original incident and the ref called it right.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Pom in Exile

Pom in Exile Academy Player

Whitelock in this instance.

• Like Like x 3
  20. stormmaster1

stormmaster1 Academy Player

He pushed him in the face.
    Penalty, whether opposing player hurt or not.
    I don't think refs can solely call it on how hard he was pushed, because it is classed as dangerous play regardless. Hand in face means fingers near eyes, which is dangerous.

And yes Farrell made a meal of it but I don't think that would affect the decision.

21. Nudger

Nudger Bench Player

Well I'm glad whitelock didnt do that to me

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!