• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rememberance Day!

P

Prestwick

I honestly can't believe nobody has brought this up yet! Its Rememberance Day on the 11th, the day where we stop and think of the millions of people the world over who have suffered the trials and extreme trauma of fighting the horrible business of war.

Please, be you British, Irish, French, Canadian, American or ANZAC, go to your local Royal British/Canadian Legion, Australian and New Zealand RSA or your Veterans association and make a donation today. Your money is vital in ensuring that the veterans of today and tomorrow are supported and cared for. Without the £26 million pounds raised by the Royal British Legion, British servicemen current and retired and their families would suffer from a lack of support from which the Government of the day either cannot or will not provide.

So please, for the time running to the 11th, please buy and wear your poppy with pride and remember:

For your tomorrow, they gave their today.

Links

Royal British Legion
Royal Canadian Legion

Never Forget, as they never forgot the cause they were fighting for, support our troops past and present.

In Battles currently raging we must support our troops who are doing their job whether they believe it is right or not, they get on with the job and give their freedom up for Queen and Country.

I for one will be wearing a poppy with pride and standing tall, proud and silent for 2 minutes on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.

If it wasn't for them giving up their freedom we would not have freedom today.

Also don't forget to look out around London for Poppy Man
1809471772_acce02cb9a.jpg

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Yesterday was the remberance day match at FG (being as it was the closest home game to Nov 11th), which included the traditional minutes silence while a wreath is laid on the war memorial at the pavillion end of the stadium before the game.

99_0_1194176211.jpg

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years contemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

So, anyone else outside of the UK going to pipe in? This is essentially an international occassion by the way...

well i suppose us in potatoland should be paying as much as homage to ours as anyone else god knows we've had enough wars and revolutions and its very much appreciated. also its worth mentioning that irish soilders have proportionally more vic crosses than any other nation

Thats the spirit. Irish troops from both North & South of the divide contributed immensely to various wars and through their courage and bravery, battles had been saved and indeed won. Across the globe there are forgotten monuments to the warriors of the emerald isle who had given everything up to fight on a foreign field far away.

Regardless of whether it is right or wrong, just because your nation is not at war does not mean you yourself can make a difference. Ask anyone in Nepal, they've been producing VC heroes since the 1870s!

Ah, but this government refuses to admit their existence once they turn to retirement age.

Any chance we could create a TRF Rememberance Day banner for a week or so?

Lest we forget.

I shall be heading to the Orange Ex-Services club for the fund raising and events of the day.

They shall forever be remembered for their tremendous sacrifices and selflessness show in the face of adversity in the most difficult of conditions.

Thank you for ensuring the safety of my country.

We don't commemorate this day in Singapore, its more like Total Defence day which is stupid. These men gave their lives defending what was dear to them. R-e-s-p-e-c-t

We don't commemorate this day in Singapore, its more like Total Defence day which is stupid. These men gave their lives defending what was dear to them. R-e-s-p-e-c-t [/b]

Actually I would say Singapore would be a sore subject with any 2nd World War veteran, especially in the way in which the British commanders there sold out both the men under their command and the people of the city itself to the Japanese.

I think one surviving chap who managed to get through all of the Japanese POW camps remarked that Arthur Percival (the commander of British & Commonwealth forces at Singapore) should have been hung, not least for cowardice.

Yea I read some books on that. The big lie and gamble that Yamashita took. And how alot of orders were miscommunicated. Some orders that were sent down stated to defend at all costs. As it was handed down, it turned into retreat and surrender!

This is the one day of the year that garuntees to bring me to tears (that and of course when the All Blacks get eliminated from the WC). I'm not really sure why I get so emotional, as I had no known relatives die in the war. Now, I assume that someone blood related to me did die, it's just no one that I directly knew of. Even since then I've had no one I know die in any war. But I guess I just realize their sacrifice allows me to live the life that I want to live. Every year when I see the number of veterans who come out to the ceremonies dwindle even further, it breaks my heart.

As a Canadian citizen I owe much to the men who fought in the first World War for the Canadian identity. It was at the battle of Vimy Ridge that a full run and operated Canadian outfit took a previously unattainable territory and in doing so not only gave Canada a new found reputation as some of the best soliders in the war but it was also the real birthplace of our nation. Many historians point to this place in history as a rallying point for the nation and has since taken on as a thing of myth. Of course the subsequent battles also played a significant part in our new found nation. Those who fought in the battle of Vimy Ridge as well as the battle of the Somme and Passchendaele will never be forgotten.

Well this Saffa`s a half German, half Boertjie. And considering the fact that my grandma and gramps fled Germany, with Gran taking the kids through to SA, and Gramps joining up with the Resistance movement in occupied France at the time, hell yeah, I`ll be taking time out to consider what those vets did for us. Several tears will be shed, particularly for my dad`s twin brother, who was killed in transit by one of the SA storm troopers.

So, anyone else outside of the UK going to pipe in? This is essentially an international occassion by the way... [/b]

11.11.11 (an organisation who's goal it is to raise money, which they then distribute amongst other third world help organisations) has been at it quite some time, I'm guessing they'll haul in a fair amount of goodies.

The only sad thing in that is that 11.11.11 is about the north-south gap, mostly centering around poverty in afrika and less fortunate parts of south america. Nothing wrong with that, but it does draw away the attention from what the 3 11s actually stand for.

The only people you'll see wearing poppies here in Flanders, are usually Brits, coming to visit either the trenches, or the massive graveyards. Visited it a few years ago, I have nothing to say about it in that I don't know which words I should use. I don't think you can use words to tell anyone how it feels to stand there. Maybe just visit it yourself someday.

11th of November is not known as remembrance day in France, this is the Armistice day which commerates the end of the WW1 (la Grande Guerre), the 8th of May the end ot WW2 is commemorated.

The ends of Algeria and Indochina wars are not commemorated the same way although there are some public celebrations.

Known as Veterans Day here, honors all the men and women of our armed services over the years.

Massive parades.. the works.

Great day to honor those who served the United States so valiantly for our freedom!

Salute to the South African Common-wealth forces who fought in all major world battles! Salute!

Latest posts