• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rene Ranger set to leave after all (Montpelier)

Nooooooooooooooo, just what All Blacks needs now, new players in the line of backs. He will not be able to play for New Zealand, is bad news!

The lesson here for ALL players who think they might be on the fringes of AB selection but toying with the idea of a European/Japanese contract...

MAKE SURE THE CONTRACT HAS A NATIONAL SELECTION OUT CLAUSE.

If the Club you are dealing with don't want that in their contract, DON'T sign it!! Rugby Union is a player's market at the moment. If the club you are negotiating with won't play ball, there are plenty others that will.

How long is the contract for? ... any chance he will be back in NZ in time to push for AB RWC selection?

The lesson here for ALL players who think they might be on the fringes of AB selection but toying with the idea of a European/Japanese contract...

MAKE SURE THE CONTRACT HAS A NATIONAL SELECTION OUT CLAUSE.

If the Club you are dealing with don't want that in their contract, DON'T sign it!! Rugby Union is a player's market at the moment. If the club you are negotiating with won't play ball, there are plenty others that will.
French teams are based on money now. I am sure many will forgo that clause if it means a higher salary. NZRU either needs to increase wages or change their selection policy. We have had this issue for a few seasons now, and we don't even have central contracts to help.

Whether or not the money is there is not the issue, Rene Ranger has signed a contract which is binding so it must be honoured or he buys himself out of it.(300,000€) There is also the fact that as a young guy he wants to experience the best Championship in both Hemispheres, he has also one one the best coaches in the world at Montpellier and he will still have time to play for the All Blacks in the 4 Nations, so in fact everyone is a winner, especially Montpellier on what i have seen already of this classy centre.

I don't really get why they want him so desperately, even given his excellent form. Ranger seems like a player who won't perform unless he enjoys the environment - would he be motivated to play well for Montpellier when he knows he could've been playing in the black jersey instead? I highly doubt it. I don't think they will get their money's worth out of him.

French teams are based on money now. I am sure many will forgo that clause if it means a higher salary. NZRU either needs to increase wages or change their selection policy. We have had this issue for a few seasons now, and we don't even have central contracts to help.

Unfortunately neither of these are options.

1. We don't have money to increase wages - we've just had to cut about 1m of spending in the ITM Cup.
2. We change our selection policy then obviously our domestic leagues would die. Why would someone stick around NZ if they could get paid twice the amount in France and still play for New Zealand?

Realisitcially we just have to take the occassional loss on the chin. Even with losing these players we have the best players in the world. It's telling now that South Africa have changed their selection policy issues are starting to take place and South Africa are losing guys overseas who are starters for the Boks.

Whether or not the money is there is not the issue, Rene Ranger has signed a contract which is binding so it must be honoured or he buys himself out of it.(300,000€) There is also the fact that as a young guy he wants to experience the best Championship in both Hemispheres, he has also one one the best coaches in the world at Montpellier and he will still have time to play for the All Blacks in the 4 Nations, so in fact everyone is a winner, especially Montpellier on what i have seen already of this classy centre.
Replacement for Hape? only asking.......

1. We don't have money to increase wages - we've just had to cut about 1m of spending in the ITM Cup.
2. We change our selection policy then obviously our domestic leagues would die. Why would someone stick around NZ if they could get paid twice the amount in France and still play for New Zealand?

Realisitcially we just have to take the occassional loss on the chin. Even with losing these players we have the best players in the world. It's telling now that South Africa have changed their selection policy issues are starting to take place and South Africa are losing guys overseas who are starters for the Boks.

The thing is, and for once, SA has been in the lead with this, a couple of years ago the Bulls had a dispute with Toulon about Bakkies Botha, and these special clauses in the contracts. Toulon won the battle, and the SA unions/franchises made huge strides in correcting their contracts along with SARU.

I think what the NZ public should realise is that us SH nations can't compete with the big cash the guys will get when playing in the NH. There is an inevitabillity with our top players going abroad. What we need to do is the following:
1. Keep on producing top players - Which NZ and SA have and the pool just keeps on growing.
2. Keep on having a winning culture - This will cause many All Blacks and Springboks to remain in the country as pride is a great motivator.
3. If they want to leave, let them leave - If you keep him, and he has a ****ty attitude, then it will affect the team and performance.
4. Reward the local players ahead of the abroad players - Regardless of the clauses in the contracts.

By doing these minor things, I bet we will remain as strong as ever.

And the best part of it is. with our guys going to the NH, and starting nearly every match, the NH teams have less of their own players starting and getting experience, resulting in them suffering the consequences of not getting enough top notch players to choose from.

It's a sad thing seeing him leave but I'm sure Hansen will find a worthy replacement.

It's a sad thing seeing him leave but I'm sure Hansen will find a worthy replacement.

Go on, say it! Say it! Say those three little letters.

You know you want to!!

NRL finishes in September

French media (Eurosport more specifically, though their accuracy is quite random) report that it is not a done deal yet. Top 14 transfer windiw is until Saturday, so we will know soon.
I think Montpellier are just trying to get as much money from the buy-out. I mean, who would want a player that obviously doesn't want to be there?

French media (Eurosport more specifically, though their accuracy is quite random) report that it is not a done deal yet. Top 14 transfer windiw is until Saturday, so we will know soon.
I think Montpellier are just trying to get as much money from the buy-out. I mean, who would want a player that obviously doesn't want to be there?

Not sure that he does not want to be there he just wants to play for the All Blacks at the same time but as Sat 15th July is the closing day for the recruiting in France everything will be out in the wash shortly. watch this space, his agent is here at ther moment trying to sort things out we will see.

Never! NZRU should not change its policy, it would adversely affect the local rugby and All Blacks. Maybe it's time for Robbie Fruean put the black jersey? I'm just asking, we all know that he has problems with the defense, but it could be a great impact player.

Regards

Latest posts