• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rene Ranger set to leave after all (Montpelier)

Never! NZRU should not change its policy, it would adversely affect the local rugby and All Blacks. Maybe it's time for Robbie Fruean put the black jersey? I'm just asking, we all know that he has problems with the defense, but it could be a great impact player.

Regards
DOn't think so.

Don't get me wrong, I've been wishing for the guy to make a push and major strides in his overall game, but this season he;s been a bit of a letdown.

I think there is still a chance but it's getting slimmer and slimmer by the day. It was really silly of ranger to sign a contract that didn't have a get out clause based on All Black Selection I'm sure it would have been doable.

Robbie Fruen isn't half the player ranger is right now. There has been nothing from fruen in some time to suggest he's All Black material other than the odd good run. Rangers done more amazing stuff in some single games than Fruen has done all season bombined. I mean Tom Taylor has basically pushed Fruen out of the crusaders starting lineup.... Crotty would actually be a better option at 13. You would even have to think hard about if he is even a better option than players like Aki, Ngatai or Moala or TNW.

Sucks, ranger has always been a source of the most amazing potential but never been really good enough or consistent enough and now when we are seeing what he can really do it will likely be the last we see of him in NZ. I honestly think he is exactly what NZ needed at 13 going to the 2015 world cup.

Ranger has been playing well for the last 2-3 years, the all blacks should have had him in sooner then this wouldn't have happened.

How long is his contract for? Maybe they could change it to where he only plays a season like Nonu and Carter had

Ranger has been playing well for the last 2-3 years, the all blacks should have had him in sooner then this wouldn't have happened.

How long is his contract for? Maybe they could change it to where he only plays a season like Nonu and Carter had
His contract with Montpellier is until 2016, that is if he gets here, still have all fingers and toes crossed.

Well we better hope SBW is as un-reliable as he has been and decides to leave the NRL (again) and come back to the NZRU in time for the '15 RWC. :p

Yeah, but you imagine a duet between SBW and Rene Ranger? Amazing! As dynamite!

SBW is completely crazy, one day wants to play rugby union, the next day he wants to play rugby league and the next week he wants to become a professional boxer. Missing many years, we have no certainty that he wants to return to rugby union.

Regards

Last edited:
as I've said all along I believe SBW is World Cup hopping he will play the League World Cup this year then come back to NZ to push for the Rugby World Cup in 2015

NRL will be going to make it very hard for him to leave though, they will bend over backwards to keep him there. He's once again basically become the guy to watch after only a couple of games back.

But I wouldn't be surprised if he has already told Dave Renee to keep a spot open for him at the chiefs.

SBW/Ranger mid field would actually be crazy good, both big guys but both have a high level on defense and move sideways well.

arg I'm still gutted ranger is going. You never know till he's gone though, he obviously wants to stay now and last I heard his agent was still in France in talks.

SBW/Ranger would be pretty devastating. And now that Nonu can kick, have him at 10 for the most fearsome 10-12-13 combo! :p

Seriously though, I hope somehow Ranger can get out of this, or at the very least, come back after a season.

2016?????? Then he will miss the next RWC!!!

Not at all, he will be available for selection for the All Blacks just as any other International will be available for thier own countries, normally Top 14 games are not played during the RWC..

Not at all, he will be available for selection for the All Blacks just as any other International will be available for thier own countries, normally Top 14 games are not played during the RWC..

But he's not avalible to be selected in New Zealand as we do not select overseas based players. Changing that policy would do more harm than good especially in the long term, so it's very unlikely that will change by 2015.

Any news Gaston?

It was my understanding that all deals had to be done by 15th June even though the exisiting French contracts usually run out on 30th June? This has the effect of seeing such as Lauret, who moves to Racing next term, training here in Biarritz this week and none of the, so far unnanounced, new signings joining us until 1st July apparently for insurance reasons!!

Any news Gaston?

For he moment its still a done deal the player has signed a pre contract and will be available after the 4 Nations which was always an unsterstanding between the player and club if he was selectioned at the time of signing no one thought or few thought he was going to become a Black, but things change, for the moment he will be coming, keeping fingers and toes crossed!!!!!

Yeah but while he has a contract with the FFR, he can't play for All Blacks. The NZRU policy, then no matter if the Top 14 has a recess at that time of the year, he can't be selected

SBW/Ranger would be pretty devastating. And now that Nonu can kick, have him at 10 for the most fearsome 10-12-13 combo! :p

Seriously though, I hope somehow Ranger can get out of this, or at the very least, come back after a season.

Maybe:

''''''''''''''''''''''10 Carter
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''12 Nonu
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''13 Conrad :p
11 Sonny Bill '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' 14 Ranger
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''15 Ben Smith (Gareth Anscombe)

OOOOOOOOOOOOhhhh yeahhhhhhhh

But he's not avalible to be selected in New Zealand as we do not select overseas based players. Changing that policy would do more harm than good especially in the long term, so it's very unlikely that will change by 2015.

I just explained the same :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe:

''''''''''''''''''''''10 Carter
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''12 Nonu
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''13 Conrad :p
11 Sonny Bill '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' 14 Ranger
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''15 Ben Smith (Gareth Anscombe)

OOOOOOOOOOOOhhhh yeahhhhhhhh

I just explained the same :p
I can see one World cup defeat have not taught you a valuable lesson. Let me remind you. DO NOT PLAY PLAYERS OUT OF POSITION JUST TO FIT IN YOUR STARS.

Cheers

The French national squad
WC 99

I can see one World cup defeat have not taught you a valuable lesson. Let me remind you. DO NOT PLAY PLAYERS OUT OF POSITION JUST TO FIT IN YOUR STARS.

Cheers

The French national squad
WC 99

Are u crazy??

Well...

1- Dan is first five and I put as first five!
2- Nonu can play like second first five and centre, and I put as second first!
3- Conrad Smith is centre, and I put as centre!
4- Sonny Bill Williams played left wing in the RWC 2011 against Argentina, Graham Henry put him in that position. Do you think that Henry didn't know anything about rugby????
5- Ranger has played in several matchs as wing
6- Ben Simth also played as fullback, he can play anywhere.

A serious mistake to take the team to Conrad Smith, because he's the best defender, he leads the defense. Sonny and Rene are good defenders too.

So what's the problem?

(Greetings from the wallabies won you a man down - RWC 2011)

Last edited:
Are u crazy??

Well...

1- Dan is first five and I put as first five!
2- Nonu can play like second first five and centre, and I put as second first!
3- Conrad Smith is centre, and I put as centre!
4- Sonny Bill Williams played left wing in the RWC 2011 against Argentina, Graham Henry put him in that position. Do you think that Henry didn't know anything about rugby????
5- Ranger has played in several matchs as wing
6- Ben Simth also played as fullback, he can play anywhere.

A serious mistake to take the team to Conrad Smith, because he's the best defender, he leads the defense. Sonny and Rene are good defenders too.

So what's the problem?

(Greetings from the wallabies won you a man down - RWC 2011)
I know Ranger played wing, but he's by far more dangerous in the centres. Same with SBW. Who was fairly ineffective on the wing.

I'd rather them come off the bench for impact or something.

I know Ranger played wing, but he's by far more dangerous in the centres. Same with SBW. Who was fairly ineffective on the wing.

I'd rather them come off the bench for impact or something.

You're right, the point is that both have played like wingers and they can do it. Is what I was trying to tell the African.

Regards

Last edited:

Latest posts