• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Riki Flutey

Prestwick, nowhere have I specifically referred to Flutey, and nowhere have I mentioned that I look at the others any differently. The colour of the guys skin has nothing to do with anything, it hadnt even crossed my mind.

I have also not suggested that Flutey is a mercenary - his case just attracts scrutiny due to him appearing to toddle off to France once his residency and his England spot are secure. My point is that this residency rule is wide open to abuse by mercenary players and others. Nationalities are not for sale - yet - but how long until clever agents approach young guys and tell them theres a fat cheque at the end of a three year holiday on the other side of the world? I just cant be convinced that a three year residency in isolation is sufficient criteria (in all but the most extreme cases) to qualify for a new nationality, I guess we'll have to just disagree on it.

The thing that I don't understand is how can you say that people who go to England for financial benafits and then get a citizenship can't be English. You are refering to rugby alone here however the bigger picture is that ALL IMAGRENTS have a right to free and equal opertunity.

I agree that Riki Flutey is an extremely talented rugby player. I also agree that anyone who comes into england and gains citizenship does have the right to free and equal oportunity.
HOWEVER, Riki Flutey is off to France in the summer so will therefore no longer be living in England. On this basis I think it is wrong for him to have a place on the British and Irish Lions tour when he isnt going to be living in England. If he remained in England then i think I would look at the situation differently but when he is denying a place to those who are actually British or Irish, its wrong.

thanks

Tom

Riki Flutey is the least of my worries now. I mean, I'm confident with the selection Geech made but it's no way close to how I would have done things...in saying that, what the f*** do I know?

"He has narrowed down the search to 11 possibles. Grandad, it transpires, was an English merchant seaman who spent time ashore in Wellington in New Zealand in October 1949 and was from the Ramsgate area in Kent. " wow someone's granny got around by the sounds of it

So now that 11 'possible' Grandads might be English, he's a full blooded Englishman? :rolleyes: Of course...

Ah probably best to give up on opposing it now that he's been picked. Nothing we can do about it but wish him luck and hope he does the jersey proud. Out of interest, what's he like at Fly Half? A few pundits reckon he's gonna take over at Fly Half, with Halfpenney to Goal Kick, in a few of the midweek games to give Jones and O'Gara a rest.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Apr 26 2009, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
"He has narrowed down the search to 11 possibles. Grandad, it transpires, was an English merchant seaman who spent time ashore in Wellington in New Zealand in October 1949 and was from the Ramsgate area in Kent. " wow someone's granny got around by the sounds of it[/b]

*Just popping back on thread*
I read the article (thanks for pointing it out mate) and couldn't help but smile when I hear the sound of goalposts being moved, ..

..what does Jon Stewart say in this kind of situation? Oh yeah, F**K YOU! :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thingimubob @ Apr 26 2009, 10:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So now that 11 'possible' Grandads might be English, he's a full blooded Englishman? :rolleyes: Of course...

Ah probably best to give up on opposing it now that he's been picked. Nothing we can do about it but wish him luck and hope he does the jersey proud. Out of interest, what's he like at Fly Half? A few pundits reckon he's gonna take over at Fly Half, with Halfpenney to Goal Kick, in a few of the midweek games to give Jones and O'Gara a rest.[/b]

again though you'd have to wonder what McGeechan is thinking here given the possibility that both Halfpenny and Flutey could well end up in the test side, unless he has just picked him to be a midweek player, which seems a waste given his form compared to the other inside centres.

Latest posts