Straight Edge
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
St Helens
Venue: Halliwell Jones Stadium, Warrington
Time: 6:00pm
TV: Premier Sports

Champions New Zealand begin the defence of their crown at home to Samoa. Join us as the Kiwis look to retain their crown, but will face fierce opposition from the Samoans, who pack several big name players.

New Zealand should win but the Samoan's won't go down without a fight. Has the potential to be a cracker that in my opinion.

Just down the road from me in Warrington, it's not far off a sell out. Unfortunately I'm working otherwise I'd be there, unfortunately I'll have to tape it and watch it when I get home along with the earlier game.

New Zealand coach Stephen Kearney has named his 19 man squad to face Samoa at the Haliwell Jones Stadium on Sunday. The squad is:

Jesse Bromwich
Greg Eastwood
Kieran Foran
Bryson Goodwin
Josh Hoffman
Shaun Johnson
Sam Kasiano
Issac Luke
Simon Mannering (C)
Ben Matulino
Sam Moa
Frank-Paul Nuuausala
Frank Pritchard
Elijah Taylor
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
Manu Vatuvei
Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
Dean Whare
Sonny Bill Williams

Samoa coach Matt Parish has named his 19 man squad to play New Zealand at the Halliwell Jones Stadium on Sunday. The squad is:

Leeson Ah Mau
David Faalogo
Pita Godinet
Harrison Hansen
Joseph Leilua
Reni Maitua
Penani Manumaleaii
Mose Masoe
Suai Matagi
Anthony Milford
Junior Sau'u
Iosia Soliola
Sue Sausao
Mark Taufua
Daniel Vidot
Anthony Winterstein
Frank Winterstein.

Last edited:
from: http://www.nrl.com/new-zealand-v-samoa-preview/tabid/10874/newsid/75153/default.aspx

Watch out Samoa: If the Kiwis needed to reassure anybody they still had it, a casual 50-0 demolition of the Cook Islands last week did the trick. The fact coach Stephen Kearney described his team's performance as "rusty" won't be good news to New Zealand's group rivals either. The reigning World Cup winners simply have strengths all over the park – Sonny Bill Williams is a walking headline after his heroics for the Roosters this season but the Kiwis also boast a strong pack, some lethal outside backs and a sensational playmaking spine of Issac Luke, Shaun Johnson, Kieran Foran and Kevin Locke. They're going to be tough to stop.

Watch out New Zealand:
The Samoans possess a great all-NRL backline, featuring Anthony Milford, Joseph Leilua, Ben Roberts, Antonio Winterstein, Daniel Vidot, Tim Lafai and Pita Godinet – but Milford is the man who could light up this tournament for Samoa. The fleet-footed fullback was a revelation for Canberra in his rookie season and he's got the talent to cause problems for even the reigning world champions.

Key match up:
Kevin Locke v Anthony Milford. If Samoa are to get anywhere near the Kiwis in this match then Milford will need to fire. But his opposite number Kevin Locke is equally adept at picking out holes in a defensive line, and he's got a point to prove at club level after the Warriors recruited English star Sam Tomkins as their new No.1 for next season. Locke would love nothing more than to take personal victories over all the fullbacks he faces in this tournament – starting with Samoa's wonderkid Milford.

The way we see it: Samoa have a strong team and should finish second in Group B, but it's very difficult to see them beating the group favourites first up. The Kiwis have form, talent and experience on their side, and should make a statement here. New Zealand by 18 points.

Last edited:
Should turn out as a real physical hard game. Can' t wait. Kiwis should win this.

Yea Kiwis will win but I think if we can keep up with them it'll put us in good stead for the rest of the tournament. Go the Toa!

Roberts needs to have a mistake free game, he's a half for cryin out loud. SBW sparks and attack and Whare is running rampant.

3rd try kiwi's, this might be a long game for Toa Samoa. Well done Roger Tuivasa-Sheck

That was a big hole that Mannering went through. Unbelievable!

Whare deserves a try but lucky for us he made the wrong choice

Latest posts