• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RLWC Game 8 - France vs New Zealand

Outstanding kicking from the Kiwis, those crossfields are absolutely perfect.

What a beauty by Toeava - Sheck!!! Such running game. Edit. Another one denied for the kiwi's

Sack Shane Hayne, he needs to go to specsavers. Should be 24-0 really

Kiwis attack cant beat the French fullback Shane Hayne.

French defence is not bad considering Kiwis have gone aerial for a few of their tries.

Im glade Locke is playing to his usual standard now we can cancel him out for the rest of the games. Now for Goodwin start dropping a few pills.

Try Johnson. French urgently need to score to stay in the game.

The French really deserve that try but he grounded the ball before the line.

Good game, French really deserved to score but the Kiwi's defended really well.

I can't believe Johnson got it from the sideline. 8 from 8!!

Probably the first game I haven't enjoyed that much, the French have really struggled on attack so far, they lack creativity though they have shown some strength in defence, I don't really rate their chances against Samoa based on this form as I don't think they can put up enough points to pick up a victory.

French seem to be really out of form in this tournament. Expected so much more from them in this game, thought with being at home and taking on the defending champions they would try and pull out all the stops for the upset.

Say, you seem to be into league, I know this isn't the place to ask but I don't want to start a thread just for this, but really quick - why does one follow both league and union ? Personally I love everything about union, and have never seen anything I liked out of the limited footage I've seen. Yes, I know, I should watch a full match to really assess, but still I really didn't like what I saw, and in my mind it seems one is either league or union, but obviously that's wrong.
Care to justify why you go both ways ?! HUH ?!! nah kidding, I'm just curious, really quick...

I don't "like" union per say, I don't dislike it either. I've been using the forum since day one (ten years) and I have only ever really talked about league. I will happily sit and watch a game of union if one is on and there's nothing else I need to watch (and I watch a LOT of sports) and it's not like I dislike it. However, my passing interest waned around the time the ELVs came in and the rules to me became incomprehensible when the ball is on the floor.

I live in the middle of the core rugby league area in England - I grew up 2 miles away from St Helens' ground, I now live one mile away, I've been going to watch St Helens for 24 years, next year will be my 25th consecutive season ticket. League is my life.

I respect both sports for what they are - different sports with different mentality and different attitudes. I have nothing but respect for union and union players and fans, because they're all tough, tough lads. It's league for me but union for others - but at least try and watch a few games before dismissing league. At its best, it is an extremely exciting spectacle.

Unfortunately, we had our first blowout last night. I was fully expecting it to happen at some point and I had a feeling it could be today. France lost in the friendly to the USA, they should have lost to PNG only for the kicker to miss his kick in the 79th minute and there's no fluency about them. They just aren't playing very well. The Kiwis are through (like there was any doubt about that) and they were very impressive. They can now go into the PNG game next week and perhaps rest a few.

Incidentally, that result opens up the door for PNG again. If they can beat Samoa then they will have the points difference advantage. It's a big IF obviously but they will rip into the Samoans even more so now.

Eight.....err, I mean, *Right !

Say, you seem to be into league, I know this isn't the place to ask but I don't want to start a thread just for this, but really quick - why does one follow both league and union ? Personally I love everything about union, and have never seen anything I liked out of the limited footage I've seen. Yes, I know, I should watch a full match to really assess, but still I really didn't like what I saw, and in my mind it seems one is either league or union, but obviously that's wrong.
Care to justify why you go both ways ?! HUH ?!! nah kidding, I'm just curious, really quick...

Played both - enjoyed both. One way of looking at it, would be - what does one provide that the other doesn't?

As much as the games are similar now than they were 10 maybe 20 years ago - there are some big differences that highlight each others strengths/weaknesses.

The Kiwis are through (like there was any doubt about that) and they were very impressive.

I actually thought the opposite - I was pretty disappointed with the performance of some of the kiwis players. They lacked structure and failed to apply consistent pressure to the French. They failed to adjust their game plan early and alot of their backline play was stunted and resulted in Kicks to the air. That was also down to the early french pressure but I thought our players would be smart enough to change the game plan up. And was a bit confused about the forward rotation and substitution management - I mean as NRL coaches they should be use to limited interchanges with 10 but with International rules an extra 2 should be a god send.

For me - We desperately need Thomas Leuluai back. Goodwin had his best game in a Black jersey but should give his jersey up to Inu. Taylor/Locke should be a last resort. On the basis of 2 performances - I'd hate to say it, but it maybe that Vatuvei & Nightingale may fight out for one of the wing spots.

I'm loving how everybody on the thread is sayin "oh the French deserved this, deserved that, are defending well" and all that, and then I wiki the RLWC and see 48-0 :rofl:
Thanks for the enthusiasm....nay, EXUBERANCE here for France fellas ! :p

I don't "like" union per say, I don't dislike it either. I've been using the forum since day one (ten years) and I have only ever really talked about league. I will happily sit and watch a game of union if one is on and there's nothing else I need to watch (and I watch a LOT of sports) and it's not like I dislike it. However, my passing interest waned around the time the ELVs came in and the rules to me became incomprehensible when the ball is on the floor.

I live in the middle of the core rugby league area in England - I grew up 2 miles away from St Helens' ground, I now live one mile away, I've been going to watch St Helens for 24 years, next year will be my 25th consecutive season ticket. League is my life.

I respect both sports for what they are - different sports with different mentality and different attitudes. I have nothing but respect for union and union players and fans, because they're all tough, tough lads. It's league for me but union for others - but at least try and watch a few games before dismissing league. At its best, it is an extremely exciting spectacle.

Right, well it's true I haven't seen you around the forum at all...anyways. That makes more sense to me, someone who's really a League fan in fact. It sounds like a silly cliché question to pose, but I really am curious how one would genuinely enjoy both as they're not different enough so that you can love the one for its strengths and then the other for its own strengths. They seem to split people always...I love 'Rugby', i.e. union, with no arrogance meant. And then I check out this league derivative, and it's OK but it's not at all what I like about Rugby as a whole, I don't find the things I'm looking for in "rugby" in general.

Played both - enjoyed both. One way of looking at it, would be - what does one provide that the other doesn't?

As much as the games are similar now than they were 10 maybe 20 years ago - there are some big differences that highlight each others strengths/weaknesses.

I'm sure as you say league and union were far more apart as they are now...as union has become sexier and faster.
But this I can understand, that you would 'play' both and enjoy them both, because it's entertaining either way, and the rules changing is a fun experience to actually live through. But watching sports wise, I'm sure there's a small, small handful of individuals who really love both, and follow both with similarly the same avidity.

Latest posts