• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RLWC Semi Final 1 - England vs New Zealand

Yeah, you're right Dan, England need to be able to develop a game that can handle pressure and has far more dynamism in attack to compliment their forwards. Too often you see England put in "brave" performances like this, only for them to fall at the death and grab defeat from the jaws of victory. I swear there is some psychological issue with England players that forces them to take terrible options when they're in a winning position.

Your absolutely correct Saint, if SBW doesnt get head highed, they make their tackles with the Kiwis going for a bomb or repeat set.
England woulda won
Sam Burgess is the best prop in the world at the moment.

One way or another SBW gets his team across the line doesn't he? Almost did with a brilliant offload a few plays before, but you can just see he really rises when it's all on the line. Loved him for the Roosters this year (that GF is honestly one of the best games of League I can remember - though I am a little biased as a Roosters fan) and he was still massive in this match even if he didn't produce the match winning try.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, you're right Dan, England need to be able to develop a game that can handle pressure and has far more dynamism in attack to compliment their forwards. Too often you see England put in "brave" performances like this, only for them to fall at the death and grab defeat from the jaws of victory. I swear there is some psychological issue with England players that forces them to take terrible options when they're in a winning position.

There absolutely is.

I maintain that the Kiwis are a lot, lot better than 2 points winning margin and that England have overdelivered today. But there's more than a psychological issue, there's a gulf in class issue as well, and that becomes more pronounced with every tournament.

Brilliant game. England were the better squad by far. As a NZ Warriors fan - I can't wait to get Tompkins on this side of the hemisphere. Kiwi's need to look at some big changes for next week. Stephen Kearney was out-thought by McNamara.

Yeah he does get them over the a line nearly everytime but I know that play im talkin about was the turning point. I reckon if no penalty was given England wouldve got the ball and wound down da clock or just tackled the kiwis till closing.

Brilliant game. England were the better squad by far. As a NZ Warriors fan - I can't wait to get Tompkins on this side of the hemisphere. Kiwi's need to look at some big changes for next week. Stephen Kearney was out-thought by McNamara.
Goodwin would probably be a good loss for the Kiwis next week. He should pick Inu. I'd keep Locke, hopefully we see Pritchard comeback get rid of Taylor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Goodwin would probably be a good loss for the Kiwis next week. He should pick Inu. I'd keep Locke, hopefully we see Pritchard comeback get rid of Taylor.

You're right Uce, I've said it in other threads - as much as Goodwin does alot of grunt, he's a defensive liablity - imagine if the Aussie backline were running at him?. At least with Inu, his good outweighs his bad. I thought Locke was a big risk. I'd drop Taylor and have Locke as cover. Hoffman to start. Bring Pritchard and pray that Tuivasa-Scheck can play as well.

Great game to watch. I thought England was going to win and went down to the last minute. Johnson's the man!!

Not a fan of RL (dry-humping + no contest for the ball), but I'm thinking that is the best game of rugby I've ever seen. Huge intensity and emotion.

Not an expert, so the only comment I'll make is that England lost their balls in the last 30 seconds. Poor baxtards.

Last edited:
England what can i say they definitely were the better team on the day. They played a really great game and probably had the two best players on the field today (Graham and Sam Burgess). I also believe Macnamara outsmarted Kearney in a way, however it was his players that implemented the plan for him better than that of Kearneys players. Still the Kiwi's scored at the crucial moments and therefore took the spoils.

The English forwards had the better of the Kiwi's today, they didn't do it through brawn though they played smarter, targetting smaller players and creating mismatches. The English spread the ball more then i expected and it really did create problems for the Kiwi's especially down that Kiwi left edge. The Kiwi left edge looked fragile but they did only concede 1 try however they did leak quite a number of line breaks. I don't think it was any particular Kiwi player that was the weak link. It appeared more of a lack of combinations out there, they as a whole didn't mark up well enough.

I think the Kiwi's need to have Frank Pritchard out there he was missed for his attacking edge, I still believe Mannering should replace Goodwin just to sure up the D and big Manu has been playing well and should replace Nightingale. I'd put Alex Glenn at Lock.

Kevin Locke had a decent game until that ridiculous pass on the first tackle when the game was in the balance.I still don't think he does anything better than Hoffman. Hoffman is all round just a better more complete footballer.

I was dissapointed a bit with our starting props JWH and Bromwich, they didn't lay a platform like i expected. I thought Matulino outplayed them and Kasiano was eating up metre's when he decided to do the hard yards. I think they need to fire up in the final or we'll have no chance against Aussie. They were outplayed by the engish props but as I said it was more tactical then anything else. The English props were running a bit wide today and it payed off. I don't think the Kiwi's should change their tactic's they just need to defend the edges better. I stiill think JWH is the premier prop in the sport and NZ's prop rotation is the best in the world.

I still haven't seen what is so great about Tomkins, I'm sure i'll find out next year. However his performance this world cup has been far less than his Hype IMO. I thought the Commentators talked up Widdop a bit much. Sinfield and Graham created the big plays for England. Widdop was good but he wasn't great.

Also Roger Tuivasa Sheck what a star, he's been ridiculous this world cup. Just to think his best position is actually Fullback if he didn't deserve winger of the year in the NRL he's definitely the best winger this world cup. The bloke is still only 20 years old.

edit: I feel the Aussie vs NZ final is appropriate as it really is the two best teams. Kiwi's played average/decent footy today but they have huge improvements in them. I don't think England has another gear to be honest. If either played Aussie like they did today they lose by 20 points. I feel like the Kiwi's need to play the perfect game next week to win. They need a completition rate of 80+% not the 65ish they had today. I think after today's performances Aussie are deserved favourites.

Last edited:
I agree with your changes to the team, all except Hoffman. Hoffmans better than Locke IMO but maybe Kearney sees Hoffman as a possible saboteur. I think Kearneys opting for the Kiwi born if he has a tough decision to make

What a game. Feel for the England boys regardless of whether they overachieved today. Class of NZ and being World Champions showed from NZ, little time left on the clock and to comeback and win with literally the last play shows a lot of character.

But what a game. Wow!

It will be a long time before you see any semi final as dramatic as that, in any sport. The England players must be gutted this morning.

It was a great game, very dramatic finish. That said as happy as I am we are in the final - we have to play much, much better if we want to beat Australia.

It might not have been a fluent performance Nick, but I think that kind of hit out is good for the Kiwis. They're in for a physical battle next week against Australia. They had one yesterday because England ripped into the Kiwis as though their lives depended on it.

When was the last time the Australians got tested?

It might not have been a fluent performance Nick, but I think that kind of hit out is good for the Kiwis. They're in for a physical battle next week against Australia. They had one yesterday because England ripped into the Kiwis as though their lives depended on it.

When was the last time the Australians got tested?

Australia were tested by England, and to be honest I don't know if the Kiwis will have enough left in the tank after that England game to challenge the Roos. They played pretty terrible footy through a lot of that semi-final and were pretty battered and bruised by the end.

The Aussies did have a good workout against England, but that was a month ago now Dan. Since then they've been in cruise control. There's a good chance the Kiwis might be overcooked but I think there's a good chance the Aussies might be undercooked.

Latest posts