• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RO'G to Retire

This post completely misses the point.

Nobody is denying or debating ROG gave everything for club and country, of course he did. Just debating how good he was and that he was largely overrated in comparison to other fly halves thanks to his fortune of being at the right place at the right time and getting more on the list than others.

Also Lo Cicero is by all accounts not a twat unlike ROG and isn't overrated either.

When you "he nearly got it done", you do realise that it was thanks to the brave committed defence that Munster put up to withstand a Clermont battering who were dominant for large stretches of the match that prevented it from being a comprehensive Clermont win. And that was a defensive effort that ROG had minimal impact on compared to others.
No I put it also down to the great kicking game ROG had in 2nd half too and way he kicked his goals superbly and way he kept the Clermont defense honest. Yes we defended but tell me what team wouldn't have spells of having to defend. And yea it could've been a bad defeat but more so was only a bounce of a ball away from 1 of biggest shocks in tournament.

This post completely misses the point.

Nobody is denying or debating ROG gave everything for club and country, of course he did. Just debating how good he was and that he was largely overrated in comparison to other fly halves thanks to his fortune of being at the right place at the right time and getting more on the list than others.

Also Lo Cicero is by all accounts not a twat unlike ROG and isn't overrated either.

When you "he nearly got it done", you do realise that it was thanks to the brave committed defence that Munster put up to withstand a Clermont battering who were dominant for large stretches of the match that prevented it from being a comprehensive Clermont win. And that was a defensive effort that ROG had minimal impact on compared to others.
Holy **** that was blunt, so if Lo Cicero was a "twat" then nobody would have liked him as much as they did in the end. This is a rugby forum not a forum to slander someone because you don't like them as a person. That was a personal attack on O'Gara for all you know he might might think you're a **** ...
If he had done a henson and ruined his carrer because of his actions thats okay but R'OG when I read his autobiography came across as a lad who had troubles dealing with the fame of being a rugby star and had a horrible time with the press. As for on the pitch I know plenty of folks that give it all that on the pitch and are down to earth alright lads I mean I won't moan at sexton when he screamed in RO'Gs face after a score in an Interpro match and its not like any welsh players hasn't been a prick on the pitch

Holy **** that was blunt, so if Lo Cicero was a "twat" then nobody would have liked him as much as they did in the end. This is a rugby forum not a forum to slander someone because you don't like them as a person. That was a personal attack on O'Gara for all you know he might might think you're a **** ...
If he had done a henson and ruined his carrer because of his actions thats okay but R'OG when I read his autobiography came across as a lad who had troubles dealing with the fame of being a rugby star and had a horrible time with the press. As for on the pitch I know plenty of folks that give it all that on the pitch and are down to earth alright lads I mean I won't moan at sexton when he screamed in RO'Gs face after a score in an Interpro match and its not like any welsh players hasn't been a prick on the pitch

If you want a better word to describe him that simply "twat" then delusional about himself sums it up. He also certainly isn't down to earth after some of his quotes about him saying he is better than players right after an awful performance. Also wrote a letter attacking a journalist who merely questioned his tackling ability.

Not sure where I ever said it was "okay" that Henson has done stupid things off the pitch in the past either. Nor that no Welsh players were ***** either. So not sure what your point there is either.

Hey just so you do know Duck does personally have a hatred for ROG that is personal beyond rugby.
And the Sexton thing is 1 of many incidents that happen regularly on the field in the heat of moment

Well what he does behind closed doors has never and will never bother me really I mean BOD coulda been a prick and I would have still been saying this

Duck if you want to criticise and keep up your hatred of ROG at least please be accurate regards letter incident and again don't read all media quotes as gospel but again you listen to Conor George which show me how much you actually so follow Irish rugby

Hey just so you do know Duck does personally have a hatred for ROG that is personal beyond rugby.
And the Sexton thing is 1 of many incidents that happen regularly on the field in the heat of moment

I don't hate ROG actually, so get your facts right. Just think he is a bit of twat with some of his interviews and arrogance and over inflated ego. I know for one Felipe Contepomi agrees with me.

<iframe width="375" height="281" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3DGLYDG2Xd4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Also that has no bearing on my thoughts of him as a player either. I think he is overrated, but I'm not just saying that because I don't like him and I've tried to put forward argument with my views just based on purely on field.

However if you get the two things mixed up and use that as a convenient way of dodging the points I've put forward. Then that's a shame. I hope somebody has some enlightenment on the true standing of ROG as a player from my posts which are response to those making him out to be a better more legendary fly half than he is.

Well what he does behind closed doors has never and will never bother me really I mean BOD coulda been a prick and I would have still been saying this

It bothers me that Henson has ruined his potential. He has less caps than Ceri Sweeney ffs.

Duck if you want to criticise and keep up your hatred of ROG at least please be accurate regards letter incident and again don't read all media quotes as gospel but again you listen to Conor George which show me how much you actually so follow Irish rugby

I don't listen to Conor George which is exactly why I put his article up as an example of an extreme ROG supporter claiming he is better than he is.

Also what I have I got wrong with the letter incident? Do tell ... it seems to me he just didn't like somebody calling him out as a weak tackler.

Last edited:
Il Barone is a gentleman of sport.
Everybody loved him because he loved what he did. Honestly, I would watch Italian matches with other people and people with little interest or knowledge of Italian rugby would recognise him and certainly praise him. He wasn't dirty, angry, violent, just enjoyed playing for his club and country.

Well again read letter issue and know story of Kevin Myers before commenting on that.
And you don't hate ROG ha
If people read your comments they'd disagree and I'd say your the type if the poor fella died you'd rather dance on his grave than pay respects. And you'd still slam him and put YouTube clips up just to probably target his kids. That's how deep I'd put your hatred to him but that my opinion

Well again read letter issue and know story of Kevin Myers before commenting on that.
And you don't hate ROG ha
If people read your comments they'd disagree and I'd say your the type if the poor fella died you'd rather dance on his grave than pay respects. And you'd still slam him and put YouTube clips up just to probably target his kids. That's how deep I'd put your hatred to him but that my opinion

Absolute rubbish.

I don't hate ROG like you making out.

The clips were to back up my criticisms of his game. I still think he was a good fly half as I have said numerous times and been ignored. Perhaps if others read my posts they will see that I am simply trying to say he wasn't as good as some make out. Can I argue and debate that without a deep hatred, clearly not according to you. By your logic then, every time a player is criticised on a forum then they are deeply hated so they target kids.

I don't hate the guy, just find him overrated as a player and find him delusional and arrogant of some of the things he has said. What you say there is totally out of proportion and just plain stupid.

Well you can and as I said I believe you'd get satisfaction if he was found dead is what I see as deep your hatred sure everyone can decide for themselves that's just my opinion and I will stick with it.

It bothers me that Henson has ruined his potential. He has less caps than Ceri Sweeney ffs.
Already said about Henson in a previous post, he is different because in the public view he ****ed up his own career... but RO'G never ruined his career by acting an asshole on a plane and getting fired every five seconds. We do feel for Henson because he was wasted potential whereas RO'G did his best to kept his going strong.
And unless you know him I find it very hard to believe the press.

Btw I have no bad feelings for Lo Cicero I was just using him as a neutral example lol

Well you can and as I said I believe you'd get satisfaction if he was found dead is what I see as deep your hatred sure everyone can decide for themselves that's just my opinion and I will stick with it.

You're wrong. And to be honest I think you take it far too far with that statement. And again you are just dodging the point. I have commented on his game and tried to back up by finding some video evidence to prove my point on YouTube. How has criticising someone's game and someone's quotes got anything to do with wishing ill on someone. I am not exactly saying that MacRae did the right thing and is great for that incident in 2001 am I?

Already said about Henson in a previous post, he is different because in the public view he ****ed up his own career... but RO'G never ruined his career by acting an asshole on a plane and getting fired every five seconds. We do feel for Henson because he was wasted potential whereas RO'G did his best to kept his going strong.

His quotes ...

Last edited:
I feel bad for the bashing we are giving Duck, just thought it was a wee bit harsh some of the stuff he was saying that is all

Btw I have no bad feelings for Lo Cicero I was just using him as a neutral example lol

I know exactly what you meant mate, no worries. I just want to take every opportunity to praise the legend.

I don't think there's much wrong in what Duck is saying, but then I'm not a fan of O'Gara.

He's done some great things with Munster and to a lesser extent Ireland, but he was a player who was only capable of playing one way, and that was to kick the corners and kick the points. He was bloody good at doing that most of the time, and when you add on the fact that he could also keep his cool and slot important last minute dropped goals he's deserving of some praise.

However there were some glaring holes in his game. His tackling was simply shocking as is well publicised, his attacking game was week for the majority of the time and mostly consists of shovelling the ball to the closest player. His main attacking threats came from the boot with some delicate grubbers, and accurate cross-field kicks and up n' unders. He could be liable for some shocking off days as well, mostly in the green shirt, but still...

I also think like duck that he was somewhat lucky to be playing behind a strong Munster pack for most of his career. However he certainly contributed to Munster's success by putting the pack in the right positions of the field to cause damage.

The fact that he's also a bit of a prick off the field just lowers my opinion of him. His behaviour in front of the queen for example was simply shocking, and that's coming from someone who is certainly not a royalist. You wouldn't behave like that in front of any old lady.

Overall I'd put Sexton waaay ahead of O'Gara. Jones was easily better as well.

Lads not sure if these videos have been shown before, but I recall an earlier post by me where I said that O Gara had underrated attacking ability. I didnt expand on that post so ill give it a go now. Some clips of a fair few of his international tries:

This one against Wales in 2007 where he fends off a strong guy in James Hook to go in, in the corner.

Last edited by a moderator:
A fine piece of play, where ROG charges down a Scottish kick, gathering, throwing a nice pass to Darcy, who in turn offloads to ROG to go in for the try.

Or how about ROG's solo try against Scotland in 2011, where he brushes off two attempted tackles to run in the try.

Another good try here, where he brushes off two attempted tackles by Samoan players to score off a Peter Stringer quick tap.

I know this only a few examples, as there is not many clips of his 16 international tries on youtube, as there seems to be more people making videos of his mistakes at the moment, but its enough to give you an idea of an underrated aspect of his game which hasn't been discussed in detail here. Some good clips of his attack play in his highlight videos on YouTube aswell

Sorry for posting all the videos in separate posts, but I dont seem to be allowed to include more than one in each post

Latest posts