• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RO'G to Retire

Draggs, how was Hook messed around? I didn't like what Scott Johnson did at the Ospreys, but Hook was great at centre when he played there. Biggar 10 and Hook 12 worked well when Henson went missing. I was disappointed he left. I wish Hook stayed at centre for Wales, he was getting a nice combination with Roberts, but then insisted on playing 10. He could have stayed at centre but instead he has like 20 odd caps now off bench appearances which lately haven't been impressive either.

I don't think he was that much better than Wellies as your suggesting though, Stephen Jones could control the game better. Just see Hook in the France semi final. Still I get your point though, I reckon Schmidt could have made a better player out of him. And I don't think Perpignan was the right side for him to join in hindsight.

Interesting. I wonder how close he came to actually getting capped?

I watched Farrell routinely miss half a dozen kicks a match yet the Saracens persisted. Wellies was as bad a Hook v France 2011. Hook would have gone for the field goal 30m out.
Hook pulled the team into it against England in 2008 in a way that Jones couldn't. The problem Hook had was that the Ospreys and Wales were becoming forward-dominated teams. I had Kiwi mates who would always ask me why we went with Jones over Hook. Our management couldn't bother to change their gameplan, and look at what that has done. One win v Australia in what, nine? (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 x2, 2012 x4) Hook would have been better off for Toulouse or Clermont. I would certainly say he would be more reliable than Brock James and more dynamic than Beauxis.

In his autobiography he says how he really struggled to put on wait but admits he wasn't doing enough strength work early on.

In his autobiography he says he just had a meeting EOS who was involved at time except it wasn;t ever very serious just O'Sullivan chancing his arm.

I read his autobiography by the way.
You have it slightly correct.
He was invited in to camp by EOS and he attended (he was in USA for Summer anyway). Was told he'd be capped but he wasn't really that interested but by luck he had to return home at same time early and he signed his first pro deal then but had he not been called home early he admits he may have made the mistake of playing for the USA and as he put it himself, risking his pro career with Munster as he would've become a NIQ. If he ever gives a talk that you hear and tells the full story it's actually a very interesting story especially on way US Rugby do/did camps

Duck, I don't really buy much of what you're saying but the one point you make that I really don't like is the "easy run" O'Gara had at 10. Munster played 10 man rugby in their prime and to play 10 man rugby you need to have a pretty good 10, think of all the times he placed kicks perfectly in the oppositions 5m line and he is probably the best 10 to put up a Garryowen.

Yes you're right, he did that, in fact I remember him embarrassing Henry Paul in the "Miracle Match" doing that, those were his strengths. However most of his points tally is thanks to the pack. What the pack got in return was being put in good positions from kicks, but that is where it stops. He also did those kicks better with Munster than with Ireland.

ROG and Stephan Jones really sea sawed between who was better throughout their career, Jones was better for the Lions but O'Gara was certainly better in club rugby and I'd say ROG was better than Jones in '03, '04, '06, '07 with Jones being better in the other four or so seasons they were both around. ROG's game management was really second to none and helped Ireland and Munster hugely in the past 14 or so years. He was voted the best HEC player of the 1st 15 years and whether that was deserved or not he was certainly the best 10.

Disagreed. In 2004, Stephen Jones was bossing about the All Blacks making breaks and hoofing them about. When has ROG done that? In fact according to New Zealand Rugby World he isn't too much rated down there based on what he showed them. (http://www.nzrugbyworld.co.nz/magazine/135/nightmare-elm-street)

It will come as little surprise to New Zealanders to see the name Ronan O'Gara featuring on this list. Any of his appearances against the All Blacks could feature – the man just doesn't cope against the best team in the world. Or maybe that should be the best teams in the world.

As for 2007, that wasn't Jones' best year at international, but he outplayed ROG in the Heineken Cup match with a worse team, whilst ROG completely fell to pieces at the RWC. So I would score that one to Jones too. In 2003 O'Gara was behind Humphreys in the Ireland side most of the year apart from the RWC quarter final where Ireland were 37-0 when ROG went off.

<iframe width="400" height="300" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YVQF4oK_Jwg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

As for club rugby, that's because O'Gara had the best team of last decade to play in. He was lucky in that the team he was born into was almost perfect fit for him, there are plenty of other teams where he wouldn't have made it very far. Whilst Stephen Jones played most of his career with the Scarlets.

Anyway, Jones with the Scarlets helped them to consistent semi finals in the early 2000's, and then was one of the best players in the Top 14 in 2005 and it was with him that Clermont began to work their way up in France. When he rejoined the Scarlets in 2006 they had a brief rebirth, notably Jones outplaying O'Gara in the Heineken Cup quarter final in 2007 and also scaring the hell out of him. Nothing to do with O'Gara being better than Jones, it's not Jones' fault that the Scarlets have been poor ever since 2007 and especially more than anywhere in the pack. O'Gara got that ERC award (which was a joke) mainly because of how much Munster are associated with the Heineken Cup, doesn't mean he was the best, Sexton is a 3 time Heineken Cup winner and I would argue played a lot better rugby off his own back rather than just kicking the points others got him.

<iframe width="400" height="300" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gY0f4GnryyY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

I'll never say that ROG was the worlds best because he was limited but there were years that he played brilliant rugby almost all year around and could have been considered Europe's best.

Again, if you watch his games closely, his all round game wasn't good enough to be considered Europe's best. Wilkinson, Stephen Jones were always better, Flood and Hodgson were more complete players, as was Sexton.

As I said before, other limited fly halves such as Andy Goode or Paul Grayson for example could have excelled in that Munster era, just as much if not more as ROG did, and of course they were better defenders which isn't hard.

I watched Farrell routinely miss half a dozen kicks a match yet the Saracens persisted. Wellies was as bad a Hook v France 2011. Hook would have gone for the field goal 30m out.
Hook pulled the team into it against England in 2008 in a way that Jones couldn't. The problem Hook had was that the Ospreys and Wales were becoming forward-dominated teams. I had Kiwi mates who would always ask me why we went with Jones over Hook. Our management couldn't bother to change their gameplan, and look at what that has done. One win v Australia in what, nine? (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 x2, 2012 x4) Hook would have been better off for Toulouse or Clermont. I would certainly say he would be more reliable than Brock James and more dynamic than Beauxis.

Draggs, Wellies wasn't as bad as Hook in 2011. Hook missed 2 kicks from in front of the posts, but also his punt kicking was terrible. Wellies controlled the game better even if he did run away from the drop goal. Both Hook and Jones had their merits at times, but the point it that Hook was certainly a challenger to the jersey which Munstermuffin said he is not.

The problem for Hook is that he couldn't play a controlling game which is what the Ospreys game plan needed, and when attempting to he did so poorly such as Saracens match in 2008 where he was awful. He was still very good at centre in that game plan though. I think if Wales varied up the attack with Hook at centre we would have a better chance than the current one dimensional attack. Hook shouldn't have joined Perpignan, he's just forgotten there, and by watching his match at Stade Francais he still chokes as well. He suits more of a Super Rugby style of game than Top 14 in my opinion.

My opinion is Hook wasn't a contender for 10 jersey and maybe it was due to Welsh gameplan I admittedly don't follow Welsh team closely but I never seen him cement jersey.
But Duck I give up arguing with you because you hate ROG and you'll dig until your in Aus trying to show little clips or whatever on how ROG was poor and never as good as anyone but mediocre players and that your opinion. Best of luck with it.

Legend? Really? The same guy who was crap in every Lions tour, Rugby World Cup he played in and yet he is considered a legend by some deluded fans. And of course the deluded man himself.

You serious? He wasn't even a great in his own era never mind all time. As has been mentioned before, if you were to rank the Tier 1 fly halves of the last decade. He would be right down the list, he's not even Ireland's best fly half of his era. More on a level with Federico Todeschini or Andy Goode. And that's just in his era, "great players of all time" is just pure and utter rubbish. A player who was awful in 3 Lions tours, 3 Rugby World Cups is not one of the "great players of all time".

BG8. Disregarding the joke of his last year or so (which notably hasn't happened to Wilkinson or Contepomi). He was never a great fly half. A pretty average one who just got incredibly lucky with circumstances.

Generally loved by casual rugby fans, and new fans who see him with points and don't understand what allows him to kick and chip his way through his career.

diapo90c196bbf3cb2d779da998b415fea749.gif
You're wrong.

An interesting issue. I'll probably do up a blog about it at some point. The short version is this. Whatever of his personality, you can't but say that he made the most of his ability. As a player I never considered him to be one of the top operators in his position in world rugby, but he filled a void for Ireland when we needed him. Had there been other credible options for the 10 shirt at time would we been having this discussion about 'legend' status? Maybe, maybe not. In my eyes he was simply an adequate player playing in an important position in a side with some of Ireland's greatest ever.

I think he gave Ireland and Munster all that he could and the should be recognized and celebrated, but let's not put him in the same league as BOD or POC here.

ROG was better than Jones in '03, '04, '06, '07 with Jones being better in the other four or so seasons they were both around. ROG's game management was really second to none and helped Ireland and Munster hugely in the past 14 or so years. He was voted the best HEC player of the 1st 15 years and whether that was deserved or not he was certainly the best 10.

cmac95. It is clear from this that you just put ROG as better in all the years Ireland were better and Jones in the years where Wales were better (2009 the exception). And also put O'Gara as better at club level because Munster were better than the Scarlets.

This just proves my point about those of ROG's supporters who fail to recognise what allowed him to kick and chip his way through his career. The players outside him. Stephen Jones was always better, just because his team wasn't as good doesn't mean he wasn't as good.

The same player who was in a club side who was awful in 2008/2009 with the Scarlets was the same player who was by far the better player on the Lions tour. He didn't suddenly change player because he changed jersey. He was a better player too when he was at the Scarlets too, just because he wasn't in such a good team but doesn't mean that he wasn't as good, it wasn't down to Jones not doing so well that the Scarlets struggled.

The best judging point was that when both had the same team and same players around them that Jones was far better and the other ended up costing the tour. Equally in 2005 Jones started the tests, ROG was a dirt tracker.

Just look at the front 5 that the Scarlets had (http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/matchcentre/1703.php) compared to Munster's all experienced international which knew every trick in the book.

Again with Wales. You name all the year that Ireland beat Wales (03, 04, 06, 07) as ones where ROG was better. Not that simple. Look at the game in 2006, Wales had a centre combination of Watkins and Luscombe against D'Arcy and BOD.

Jones in every year had a better running and passing game, pretty much as goode or at least nearly as good a punting game, better defence. The only bit where ROG wins clearly is last minute drop goals.

My opinion is Hook wasn't a contender for 10 jersey and maybe it was due to Welsh gameplan I admittedly don't follow Welsh team closely but I never seen him cement jersey.

He never did cement the jersey really. But he was far more a contender than Paddy Wallace and Jeremy Staunton for Ireland between 2003-2009.

And stop saying "if you hate ROG". I admit I am not a fan of him for his off field ego and over inflated view of himself, but that isn't to do with my view of him as a player.

Last edited:
cmac95. It is clear from this that you just put ROG as better in all the years Ireland were better and Jones in the years where Wales were better (2009 the exception). And also put O'Gara as better at club level because Munster were better than the Scarlets.

This just proves my point about those of ROG's supporters who fail to recognise what allowed him to kick and chip his way through his career. The players outside him. Stephen Jones was always better, just because his team wasn't as good doesn't mean he wasn't as good.

The same player who was in a club side who was awful in 2008/2009 with the Scarlets was the same player who was by far the better player on the Lions tour. He didn't suddenly change player because he changed jersey. He was a better player too when he was at the Scarlets too, just because he wasn't in such a good team but doesn't mean that he wasn't as good, it wasn't down to Jones not doing so well that the Scarlets struggled.

The best judging point was that when both had the same team and same players around them that Jones was far better and the other ended up costing the tour. Equally in 2005 Jones started the tests, ROG was a dirt tracker.

Just look at the front 5 that the Scarlets had (http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/matchcentre/1703.php) compared to Munster's all experienced international which knew every trick in the book.

Again with Wales. You name all the year that Ireland beat Wales (03, 04, 06, 07) as ones where ROG was better. Not that simple. Look at the game in 2006, Wales had a centre combination of Watkins and Luscombe against D'Arcy and BOD.

Jones in every year had a better running and passing game, pretty much as goode or at least nearly as good a punting game, better defence. The only bit where ROG wins clearly is last minute drop goals.

He never did cement the jersey really. But he was far more a contender than Paddy Wallace and Jeremy Staunton for Ireland between 2003-2009.

And stop saying "if you hate ROG". I admit I am not a fan of him for his off field ego and over inflated view of himself, but that isn't to do with my view of him as a player.

I see what you're saying Duck but at the same time in the years where Ireland weren't good ROG was playing quite badly and when we played well ROG was playing well. I think Jones had a far better skill set but O'Gara's game management and kicking was always superior, there were years when ROG and the backline clicked and some when they didn't, I think in the years where ROG ran the Ireland backline he was better than Jones who was consistently at about the same level throughout his career peaking in the Lions tours whereas ROG underperformed with the Lions. (but still made three which shows that he was a good player)

I think that O'Gara in '04 and '07 was certainly better than Jones. In 2004 ROG had an unbelievable year his performances against South Africa really springs to mind and as for 07 I think it has to be based on the 6 nations because both players were quite poor in the World Cup and O'Gara was better in the six nations, although Jones was better with the Scarlets. IN '05 Jones was better he was brilliant for Wales that year and they were both quite up and down in 06 but I gave that to ROG because he performed very well and was very important for Munster. I kind of got carried away with myself by saying '03 but I'd probably have them about equal, you're example of Jones but ROG had a very good 6nations but if you had to rank it I'd say you are correct and say Jones.

If I was to have one of them on my team I would have O'Gara but I would be biased and it's always going to be personal preference.

An interesting issue. I'll probably do up a blog about it at some point. The short version is this. Whatever of his personality, you can't but say that he made the most of his ability. As a player I never considered him to be one of the top operators in his position in world rugby, but he filled a void for Ireland when we needed him. Had there been other credible options for the 10 shirt at time would we been having this discussion about 'legend' status? Maybe, maybe not. In my eyes he was simply an adequate player playing in an important position in a side with some of Ireland's greatest ever.

I think he gave Ireland and Munster all that he could and the should be recognized and celebrated, but let's not put him in the same league as BOD or POC here.
In fairness Feic even Munster fans will admit POC is well up as argubally 1 of Irelands greatest forwards but is nowhere near same status as BOD who some will argubally put as 1 of greatest to ever take the field. And we down here admire BOD not just for skill but because (knowing how bad injuries are) he has taken knocks and despite the game ever changing he has returned everytime reinventing his game and always staying at the top.

I see what you're saying Duck but at the same time in the years where Ireland weren't good ROG was playing quite badly and when we played well ROG was playing well. I think Jones had a far better skill set but O'Gara's game management and kicking was always superior, there were years when ROG and the backline clicked and some when they didn't, I think in the years where ROG ran the Ireland backline he was better than Jones who was consistently at about the same level throughout his career peaking in the Lions tours whereas ROG underperformed with the Lions. (but still made three which shows that he was a good player)

I think that O'Gara in '04 and '07 was certainly better than Jones. In 2004 ROG had an unbelievable year his performances against South Africa really springs to mind and as for 07 I think it has to be based on the 6 nations because both players were quite poor in the World Cup and O'Gara was better in the six nations, although Jones was better with the Scarlets. IN '05 Jones was better he was brilliant for Wales that year and they were both quite up and down in 06 but I gave that to ROG because he performed very well and was very important for Munster. I kind of got carried away with myself by saying '03 but I'd probably have them about equal, you're example of Jones but ROG had a very good 6nations but if you had to rank it I'd say you are correct and say Jones.

If I was to have one of them on my team I would have O'Gara but I would be biased and it's always going to be personal preference.

Jones' game management and kicking was good too though. Whilst these were ROG's strengths, Jones was at least nearly as good if not at least as good (see GIF below). Whilst with running ability, defence he was always far ahead of ROG. I can't remember ROG doing a run like this, or offloads like this to create tries, Jones like ROG was not physically naturally gifted, but he could still offer a good deal as an all round player. Which is why ultimately he beat the battle of Hook, Hook wasn't adaptable to a game style that didn't suit him, Jones was more adaptable to different game plans with an all round game. Hook couldn't control a game like Jones or ROG. Equally though, ROG couldn't attack with a running game ever.

diapo326eab462d73eea70a00752cc62630ce.gif
<iframe width="400" height="225" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jO774Mm8Yvs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe> <iframe width="400" height="300" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mk7wvml1wOI#t=10" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

By the way cmac95, ROG was behind Humphreys in 2003 6 Nations, he got ahead at the latter stages World Cup but then played his part in the disaster thrashing to France in the quarter final. The best of ROG in 2003 was the Miracle Match, where he destroyed Gloucester's back three with up and unders and kicks. Still though I would attribute that win more to the pack, although ROG was still immense at the role he had to do that day.

Whilst in 2007, Jones didn't have a great year at international but ROG was even worse at the 2007 World Cup. Watch the video below, it wasn't just Lions tours where ROG was abysmal it was World Cups too. Jones wasn't that good either though to be fair.

<iframe width="400" height="225" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZmbTGc2tZ30" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Cherrypicking GIFs doesn't make ROG any less of a player. As a huge critic of him , as both an individual from my experience and as a player watching him , there's no doubt in my mind whatsoever that ROG has been one of the most influential and successful Outhalves in the last decade. I don't have the passion about him to argue his case..But he was a damn fine player on his day..single handedly dragging both Munster and Ireland to the right side of the scoreboard and for that he'll go down in History and he has the medals to prove it.

ronan-o_gara_1375771c.jpg

Wales+v+Ireland+RBS+Six+Nations+63BusrOLQvDl.jpg

ronan-ogara-3182009-2-501x500.jpg

Walk proud Ronan O'Doormat and thanks for the memories.

Cherrypicking GIFs doesn't make ROG any less of a player.

Nobody has done that on this thread. There to prove a point. Fact is he wasn't as legendary as some make out.

If anything the cherry picking on this thread has been done by the stat men who post the points but fail to recognise 1) who earned the chances for those points 2) the good fortune circumstances that allowed ie no injuries, little competition mid career, coaches favouritism, right place right time.

Also cherrypicking done by ROG fans who remember the drop goals, but forget the overall play in the 80 minute performance.

there's no doubt in my mind whatsoever that ROG has been one of the most influential and successful Outhalves in the last decade. I don't have the passion about him to argue his case..But he was a damn fine player on his day..single handedly dragging both Munster and Ireland to the right side of the scoreboard and for that he'll go down in History and he has the medals to prove it.

When has he "single handedly dragged Ireland to the right side of the scoreboard" as an individual? His drop goals were great as was an odd cross kick but it was the team who covered for ROG in defence and created points that were the ones who dragged Ireland to wins. Only time ROG ever made a telling contribution to the right side of the scoreboard in his career that was singled handed and not a drop goal was thanks to a dodgy referee chat in 2004. Saying he "single handedly" won when others in the Ireland side were the best players sound awfully like those who thought Donald had done anything particularly special to win the RWC.

Andy Goode has as many domestic medals as ROG yet I don't see people going round calling them legends and Ireland's greatest.

Don't want to seem too harsh and I am not saying he was a bad player. But this talk of "single handedly" dragging Ireland to wins and being "legend" is what I'm arguing against. Not arguing he was bad player. Just that he is overrated and not one of the top dozen 20 fly halves of the professional era.

Last edited:
single handedly dragging both Munster and Ireland to the right side of the scoreboard and for that he'll go down in History and he has the medals to prove it.

Not so much at Radge necessarily, but general irritation with this sort of praise for fly-halves, but

a) Until a fly-half wins all the rucks, scrums and lineouts it did to get the kicking opportunities, it's not single handed

and

b) If a back line can't score tries, requiring the team to be kicked to victory, questions have to be asked as to why the fly-half couldn't get the backs scoring tries

It's just a grossly inaccurate phrase.

Not so much at Radge necessarily, but general irritation with this sort of praise for fly-halves, but

a) Until a fly-half wins all the rucks, scrums and lineouts it did to get the kicking opportunities, it's not single handed

and

b) If a back line can't score tries, requiring the team to be kicked to victory, questions have to be asked as to why the fly-half couldn't get the backs scoring tries

It's just a grossly inaccurate phrase.

Exactly. For example in another case, Jonny Wilkinson got a lot of plaudits for his kicking performance for Toulon vs Saracens. Credit to him for getting them 100% success rate of course which is obviously vital in tight games and he outplayed Farrell who showed cracks, but people also forget to and ought to give at least as much if not more credit to the likes of Masoe and Fernández Lobbe who were both immense at the breakdown and helped to win some of them. Without them, not so many penalties for Jonny. Yet people talk about that match as if it was a one man effort.

OK, this is being argued to death but I'd like to say that ROG is a legend of Irish rugby, he may not have had the skillsets of the likes of Jones but he was as good a player if not better, he put his pack where they wanted to be and must have been a dream to play with for dominant packs like Munster. Yes he did have his flaws in defence and running a backline through parts of his career but his strengths by far out weigh that. A lot of the credit for his points must go to the rest of his team but I think other players would only have scored 95% of those points and that's the difference between a grand slam, a handful of triple crowns and two HECs and nothing.

OK, this is being argued to death but I'd like to say that ROG is a legend of Irish rugby, he may not have had the skillsets of the likes of Jones but he was as good a player if not better, he put his pack where they wanted to be and must have been a dream to play with for dominant packs like Munster. Yes he did have his flaws in defence and running a backline through parts of his career but his strengths by far out weigh that. A lot of the credit for his points must go to the rest of his team but I think other players would only have scored 95% of those points and that's the difference between a grand slam, a handful of triple crowns and two HECs and nothing.

It could also be argued that a player who created a bit more and didn't miss so many tackles would have made the difference.

Back to Peat's point. Who deserves most credit for this? Masoe who does the hard work winning the penalty? Or Wilkinson who slots a fantastic 52 metre kick? Either way, it certainly isn't "single handed" just for Wilkinson like many will make out and forget Masoe's contribution will be forgotten and won't be praised by many in match reports.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UzcS0iyTZas#t=3809" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Now this is a fly half performance that is nearer making a bigger individual impact on a game. Yet you still see articles like this going around Ireland overrating ROG (http://www.vavel.com/en/rugby/218401-ronan-o-gara-the-greatest-10-ever.html).

<iframe width="400" height="225" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R9eAqfUWY2Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:
It could also be argued that a player who created a bit more and didn't miss so many tackles would have made the difference.

It could also be argued that a man of less ego than Winston Churchill might have been a better Prime Minister during World War 2. There wasn't a suitable candidate. Flaws do not stop a man from becoming a legend, if circumstance calls.

Lets put this one to bed. Everyone has seen the arguments, no one's going to change their mind.

Best news I've had in ages. He's a sack of ****.

Latest posts