• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rory Best will miss the entire 2009/10 season through injury

S

shazbooger

Source Sky news (http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12321_5488677,00.html)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Ulster have been rocked by news that their captain Rory Best will miss the entire 2009/10 season through injury.

The Ireland hooker has been told he requires surgery on a chronic disc injury in his neck, with his recovery expected to take between nine and 12 months.

The 26-year-old, who captained Ireland in the summer, will now spend some time away before undergoing surgery.

Ulster's operations director David Humphreys said: "Obviously losing Rory at the start of the season is a huge blow for us, not only is he our No.1 hooker but also our captain and one of the most experienced players in the squad.

"However, what is most important is Rory's long term health and welfare and there's no reason not to expect him to return fully to rugby, post surgery and rehabilitation, next season.

"The timing of this injury presents difficulties as most players are contracted for the 09-10 season. While we strengthened our hooking options this summer with the signing of Andy Kyriacou, we are working at present to find a replacement for Rory within world rugby."[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Aug 13 2009, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Crap...I like Rory. He did well as captain of Ireland this summer. I hope his surgery and recovery go well. Who knows anything about Andy Kyriacou?
http://www.heavensgame.com/competitions/ce...ster-rugby.html
Maybe Prestwick????[/b]
What I remember of Kyriacou from his time with Munster was a player who wasn't afraid to get stuck in but he was an abysmal lineout thrower. If he can improve that key aspect of his game he'd be a very good player. Not regular starting standard but a solid backup.

I wonder who they'll look to bring in. In Irish rugby circles the only obvious candidate who's out of contract is Brian Blaney but he's nothing special. Is there a chance they could try poach Sean Cronin from Connacht?

Poor Rory, he's a class act. Hope he can return to the game with the same form he's had for the last 3 years.

Latest posts