• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Round 13: W Force v Cheetahs

D

Dumbo

The Western Force (ranked 7th) take on the Cheetahs (ranked 12th) in WA.
Starting to get to the do or die part of the super 14 for the Force, a win here still means they have a shot at securing their first ever semi’s spot.

For he Cheetahs though a win would be welcome about now to keep a positive outlook for next year (as think that their year is just about over).

Thinking that the Cheetahs could pull this off.

Cheetahs with lots of injuries!!!!!!!!!
Can't see them winning this one!!!!!!!!!

Force have got a key one out as well... not in the bag for the Force, not by a long shot

Cam Shepherd is out for the rest of the season(6weeks) with a knee injury.....****!..... but Digby Ioane isn't a bad replacement to have :)

The big news in Perth this week is....

Staniforth turns down stunning Japan deal

Western Force vice-captain Scott Staniforth has shunned a massive offer from Japan to finish his rugby career in Perth amid revelations he is squarely in contention for selection in the Wallaby squad for the World Cup.

Staniforth, 29, signed a three-year deal with the club on Thursday, bringing to an end protracted negotiations with the Force and the Australian Rugby Union.

Flanker Matt Hodgson has also committed to the Force, for another two years.

The crucial re-signing of Staniforth comes hot on the heels of revelations that the Force have begun confidential negotiations to lock in coach John Mitchell until at least 2010 by extending his contract for another two years.

Force chief executive Peter O’Meara conceded yesterday the club feared it had lost Staniforth after the Japanese club he was negotiating with upped the ante in recent weeks with a significant counter-offer which the club had no chance of matching.

“I actually thought we’d lose him,†said O’Meara.

But it is understood Staniforth was swayed by the prospect of continuing to play rugby at a higher level in Australia, the Perth lifestyle and the prospects of a future career as a property valuer in WA.

“There’s a strong resolve among the guys to stick together,†O’Meara said after the 14-12 defeat by the Brumbies. “You saw the spirit in this team tonight. We fought back well and it could have gone either way.â€

Wallaby coach John Connolly indicated Staniforth was in contention for the World Cup in September.

“He’s been great for the Force and he has a role to play in Australian rugby,†Connolly said.

The Force are still talking to props Gareth Hardy and Angus Scott, loose forward Luke Doherty and hooker Luke Holmes, and have asked the ARU for permission to approach Queensland rake Stephen Moore to replace retired Brendan Cannon.

“We’ll also keep open two or three spots for young players we’ll take a closer look at during the Australian rugby championship later this year,†O’Meara said.

Staniforth’s signature was particularly pleasing, given he had received the big Japanese offer amid a reduced deal from the ARU, which spent a large sum acquiring Timana Tahu from rugby league at the perceived expense of fringe Wallabies players.

MARK DRUMMOND and DAVE HUGHES
http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?Men...ContentID=26650
[/b]

fatboy.gif
WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Nah, I reckon the Force will be just too good for the Cheetahs, the boys are missing Bloem too much. If the Cheetahs play to their true potential, it could be pretty close, but I`m not too sure that there is much left in the tank for the Cheetahs. They`ve been utterly devoid of direction at the back, and concerningly have also started to leak tries.

Maybe last week they reached their absolute nadir, I certainly hope so, but I can`t see them winning this one, unless of course Juan Smith makes 40 tacles, scores 3 tries and wins every single line-out ball. He`s been their only go-to man, and one man sure ain`t gonna beat the Force all by himself.

Digby Ioane? where has that guy been? I thought he had a pretty good season last year.

Digby Ioane? where has that guy been?
[/b]

He's been playing for the last 6 or 7 weeks, where have you been?

Force squad has been named, the only real surprise is Giteau moving back to inside centre and Jimmy Hilgendorf starting at fly-half.

Western Force: 15 Drew Mitchell, 14 Digby Ioane, 13 Ryan Cross, 12 Matt Giteau, 11 Scott Staniforth, 10 James Hilgendorf, 9 Matt Henjak, 8 Scott Fava, 7 Matt Hodgson, 6 Richard Brown, 5 Nathan Sharpe ©, 4 Rudi Vedelago, 3 Troy Takiari, 2 Tai McIsaac, 1 Gareth Hardy.
Replacements: 16 Luke Holmes, 17 AJ Whalley, 18 David Pusey, 19 David Pocock, 20 Chris O'Young, 21 Junior Pelesasa, 22 Haig Sare

Cheetahs: 15 Bevin Fortuin, 14 Eddie Fredericks, 13 Marius Joubert, 12 Meyer Bosman, 11 Ronnie Cooke, 10 Willem de Waal, 9 Falie Oelschig, 8 Ryno van der Merwe, 7 Juan Smith ©/Heinrich Brussouw, 6 Duane Vermeulen, 5 Rory Duncan, 4 Corniel van Zyl, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Richardt Strauss, 1 Wian du Preez.
Replacements: 16 Hans van Dyk, 17 Ollie le Roux, 18 Bian Vermaak, 19 Kabamba Floors, 20 Michael Claassens, 21 Herkie Kruger, 22 Tiger Mangweni.

Force by 25

How was McIsaac's passing! Bring him on at 1st5 I say.
Easy win for the Force... they'll need that to go forth with a positive attitide for next year.

What were the Cheetahs thinking? Bullshit game from them, poor tactics in the first half, very poor - kicking the ball with no one chasing... crazy

Boys against men really, Force made them look like a bunch of schoolboys playing against the wallabies or something :mellow:

Luckily for the cheetahs the reds and warratas were **** this whole season so they might still not get the wooden spoon ;)

actually I must say the warratahs have really started playing in the last 2 games.

He's been playing for the last 6 or 7 weeks, where have you been[/b]
?

I've been ummmm...watching rugby...in and out :)

Hey nice guess The TRUTH. You were just 3 points short.

Latest posts