• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Round 2: Crusaders v Reds

game was a lot closer than I expected. the reds are playing quite nicely at the moment and may just finish higher up than a few people expected.

I knew that the reds where going to lose. The brumbies will be the form Australian side in Super 14 if they keep on going like they are against the blues. B) :D

No one can argue that Queensland rugby isn't back on the rise again in any case.
[/b]

Indeed they aren't shite this season and might get into the finals. :)

<div class='quotemain'>
No one can argue that Queensland rugby isn't back on the rise again in any case.
[/b]

Indeed they aren't shite this season and might get into the finals. :)
[/b][/quote]

lets not get to far ahead of ourselves just yet. the reds have improved for sure but I don't think they will make the semis this year. I think they will end up midtable around 7 or 8th. they will win some games for sure but I just don't think they have the class of a team like the cruaaders or brumbies to go that extra bit further.

the truth no I don't have foxtel yet. relying on internet radio ( downloading audio of games that radio sport play) and internet reports. might get it this week hopefully.

Wayne Bennett said both Sailor and Tuqiri would be back in league before the end of their careers when they crossed over. He has said this about Barnes too, and I admit this call has more credibility than the other two as he is a lot younger and does have rugby league roots.
[/b]

...Sailor said he would come back to league after his ban for using drugs if someone would contract him, however he is too old.
Also Tuqiri expressed interest in coming back and said he is quite aware of less money but would be happier playing league, so there we go. The only thing that is keeping Tuqiri in union is money.

I really dunno if the Reds have improved all that much remember they just got beaten by a team missing a swathe of top line players. It's really hard to rate the performance of opposing teams to be honest when they come up against the depleted NZ sides. The fact that the Crusaders still won is more a testament to the depth in NZ and/or the overall shitness of Aussie and SA teams that has become more apparrent as the Super12/14 has progressed over the years.

The Reds were never really in control of this game. What I mean is yes they racked up 16,17,18 phases but it was all with their forwards, less than 5m away from the ruck. They never used their backs and as such usually only went 10-15m with these long stretches of possession. Just think about how they scored for a minute. Three complete bullshit penalties. The first with that holding the player back call, when clearly he had no shot whatsoever at tackling Senio. The second was that terrible dragging the maul down call, when Franks did absolutly nothing, the maul just got out of control and went too fast and collapsed on it's own. Finally the third was the Reds last penalty goal. Yes that one was a clear penalty, but just one play before was a scrum that was awarded to the Reds when the ball had been turned over. On top of that they scored on a fluke charged down try. Realistically speaking the Reds only produced 8 points on their own merit and did dick all with all the possesion they had. The Reds are going to be no good against any team with half a structure on defence. They are a boring team that don't use their backs in the slightest. There were times in that game where I was asking the Reds to pass it out wide and make a line break because I was bored out of my mind of only going ahead one meter and then back two.

As for Canterbury, well great defence all night. The Reds made it easy for them but they made their tackles. Stephen Brett certainly looks like an intrigueing player. It will be intersting to see what happens post-World Cup when Mauger is gone. Does Brett move to second-five or does Carter? And if Carter moves to 12, what happens in the All Black jersey? Rua Tipoki solved a lot of defensive problems from last week and played very well offensively speaking. He had some nice litte runs and some handy off-loads to Laulala all night long. Laulala looked a hundred times better playing at center, given a lot more time and space, certainly Tipoki had some hand in that extra space as well but still he was much more efficient, both offensivly and defensively. Caleb Ralph hardly touched the ball but he at least looked average with the ball in hand, which is better than last week. The whole Canterbury back row played outstanding. Solid defence as well as great support play. You have to tip your hat to Leo'o, Reed and Tuiali'i who all stepped their game up from last week. The only real significant problem that needs to be fixed is the lineout. It was in complete shambles last night, hopefully they can get a little bit better and just hold off until Chris Jack come back in the fold.

The Reds were never really in control of this game. What I mean is yes they racked up 16,17,18 phases but it was all with their forwards, less than 5m away from the ruck. They never used their backs and as such usually only went 10-15m with these long stretches of possession. Just think about how they scored for a minute. Three complete bullshit penalties. The first with that holding the player back call, when clearly he had no shot whatsoever at tackling Senio. The second was that terrible dragging the maul down call, when Franks did absolutly nothing, the maul just got out of control and went too fast and collapsed on it's own. Finally the third was the Reds last penalty goal. Yes that one was a clear penalty, but just one play before was a scrum that was awarded to the Reds when the ball had been turned over. On top of that they scored on a fluke charged down try. Realistically speaking the Reds only produced 8 points on their own merit and did dick all with all the possesion they had. The Reds are going to be no good against any team with half a structure on defence. They are a boring team that don't use their backs in the slightest. There were times in that game where I was asking the Reds to pass it out wide and make a line break because I was bored out of my mind of only going ahead one meter and then back two.

As for Canterbury, well great defence all night. The Reds made it easy for them but they made their tackles. Stephen Brett certainly looks like an intrigueing player. It will be intersting to see what happens post-World Cup when Mauger is gone. Does Brett move to second-five or does Carter? And if Carter moves to 12, what happens in the All Black jersey? Rua Tipoki solved a lot of defensive problems from last week and played very well offensively speaking. He had some nice litte runs and some handy off-loads to Laulala all night long. Laulala looked a hundred times better playing at center, given a lot more time and space, certainly Tipoki had some hand in that extra space as well but still he was much more efficient, both offensivly and defensively. Caleb Ralph hardly touched the ball but he at least looked average with the ball in hand, which is better than last week. The whole Canterbury back row played outstanding. Solid defence as well as great support play. You have to tip your hat to Leo'o, Reed and Tuiali'i who all stepped their game up from last week. The only real significant problem that needs to be fixed is the lineout. It was in complete shambles last night, hopefully they can get a little bit better and just hold off until Chris Jack come back in the fold.
[/b]

I agree with pretty much all of your comments there, although I do think that Andy Ellis should have started the match instead of Senio, there were patches in the match where the Crusaders had an overlap and Senio either ran it himself and was thumped. Ellis's clearence is also alot quicker and his vision is much better in my opinion. Tipoki did have a pretty good game at 2nd five and seemed to combine well with Brett. I thought Kieran Read had a fantastic game. He's definitely one to watch.

[/b]

Rant. Bottom line, you live in Canterbury and I live in Brisbane. Eat a dick.

I'm a Kiwi and live in Melbourne and agree with Wally.

The point is the improvement to the Reds squad... they have improved immensely.

First thing... Berrick Barnes.
last year was an extreme introduction to Super 14 for the young guy... this year though I reckon his put his hand up for Wallaby selection come world cup time. In the only two games of the season he's showed that he can think, pass, kick and communicate.
Absolute stand out and after Latham has retired I think he'd be a natural replacement.

Second thing: Clinton Schifcofske
Hell of a last name to pronounce after a few beers but all the same, what a find.
So far solid with the boot, solid in defence and attack (anyone see him carve past a few sloppy crusaders in this game?).

Third thing: Eddie Jones
NO f&*king around with this guy, experiance to burn... has already made a big contribution to the Reds... the first game was most impressed with the ability of the Reds forwards to dominate by using the basics... pick and drive... good work Eddie

Fourth thing: Rodney Blake, Mitch Chapman, Sam Cordingley, David Croft, Greg Holmes, James Horwill, Lloyd Johansson, Chris Latham (in spirit anyway), John Roe and Ben Tune.
That’s 10 quality players. Plus the other 2 makes 12.

Yup, QLD is on the rise... just remember how they played last year...

Looks to me the reds have basically adopted the robotic rugby style eddie jones institutionalised way back with the brumbies and to an extent - the wallabies. Brumbies vs Reds be interesting to watch this weekend. That said, eddie jones has given the queensland franchise greater organisation on attack and defence than ive seen of them for a long while. I always believed queensland had the players and so now they have a competent coach. Agreed with chiro on schifcofske, promising convert...higher honours maybe?

Latest posts