• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Round 5: Blues v Highlanders

D

Dumbo

Good old historical battle this one, I’m sure all Blues supporters will be rubbing their multi-cultural hands in anticipation fully expecting to ‘hump’ the Highlanders. Somewhere in the deep dark south Highlanders supporters will be rubbing their collective hands together at the thought of getting one over on the Blues.

Current performances would indicate that the Blues will have this in the bag… I’m not too sure.
The Blues are sitting rightly on the top of the ladder while the Highlanders are sitting just above half way.
The Highlanders are slowly returning from injury. The return of promising winger Vili Waqaseduadua has added a bit more pace where it was needed and the biggest surprise could be the return of flyhalf Nick Evans (but if he’s not there then if Charlie Hore can keep up his performance from last week the Blues shouldn’t have things completely their own way).

There should be some good one on one match ups here…
Young Jason MacDonald and Clarke Dermody on Derren Whitcombe and John Afoa upfront should be well worth a watch.
James Ryan on Troy Flavell… both internationals.
Josh Blackie and Craig Newby on Jerome Kaino and Daniel Braid.
Possibly Nick Evans or Charlie Hore and Callum Bruce on Isa Nacewa and Luke McAlister… again should be a good battle to watch.

For the life of me, I cant remember the name of the trophy they play for every year...aarrrrghhh!!! :rahh: :ranting: :wall:

It's named after someone who coached both the Highlanders & the Blues and then passed away with cancer or something..

BLUES by 12.

clarke dermody > the current blues front 3

this should be an interesting match...highlanders are sometimes a surprise package so blues have to shut them down early enough..id say if this game is tight at halftime then it will go down to the wire..if there is a favorable stat in possession and territory then blues by 15

Usually good games these, obviously going for Highlanders but Blues are in good form...

its the Gordon Hunter trophy i think
[/b]

That's the one. Thanks bro. :)

Nic Evans looks more likely to play this week so should be interesting watching him go up against Nacewa & McAlister.

I can only really see one result and that is a blues hiding. blues are in fine form and just have too much firepower for the highlanders to compete. highlanders will have to tackle very well and basically have all the possesion otherwise they will be dicked by at least 20 points.

Highlanders are capable of bringing down any team on their day, however, in saying that, i don't think this coming Friday will be that day. Even with the try scoring class of Waqasaduadua and the return of Evans, theres still far to much firepower in the Blues back line to quash.

Looking foward to seeing how Chucky (James Ryan) and Flavel square up against each other. Hoping to see more touches of class and brilliance from Toeava too.

Blues by 12+

I wonder if Toeava keeps it up, he'll be in contention for the RWC squad?

Blues:
15. Ben Atiga, 14. Doug Howlett, 13. Isaia Toeava, 12. Luke McAlister, 11. Rudi Wulf, 10. Isa Nacewa, 9. David Gibson, 8. Jerome Kaino, 7. Daniel Braid, 6. Angus Macdonald, 5. Troy Flavell, 4. Greg Rawlinson, 3. John Afoa, 2. Derren Witcombe, 1. Saimone Taumoepeau. Res: 16. Sam Biddles, 17. Nick White, 18. Anthony Boric, 19. Justin Collins, 20. Steve Devine, 21. Sam Tuitupou, 22. George Pisi.

Highlanders:
15. Glen Horton, 14. Lucky Mulipola, 13. Matthew Saunders, 12. Callum Bruce, 11. Craig Clare, 10. Nick Evans , 9. Jimmy Cowan, 8. Craig Newby, 7. Alando Soakai, 6. Josh Blackie ©, 5. James Ryan, 4. Hoani MacDonald, 3. Chris King, 2. Jason MacDonald, 1. Clarke Dermody. Res: 16. David Hall, 17. Jamie Mackintosh, 18. Filipo Levi, 19. Hale T-Pole, 20. Toby Morland, 21. Aaron Bancroft, 22. James Wilson.

if he fixes up his stupid handling problems we could say goodbye to conrad smith and nonu and mills in that 13 jersey

Toeava and McAlister are creating a very good combination between them. Have they played alongside each other for the All Blacks? Certainly if Toeava can keep this form up the AB Cartel will have to look strongly at including him in the WC squad.

Yer, Flavell is really playing up to his potential.. Jerome Kaino is also playing well..

Yeah, Toeava was centre in the match against the Springboks.. I just remember McAlister being greedy and scoring a try, when he could of passed it to Toeava who was unmarked lol

rofl Chiro, you're only hating on him cos he's a La Salle boy :p
He only made one handling error, but he made some powerful runs.. Interesting to see him using the role of Tuitupou of running it up, but instead of running it up the middle, he looks for gaps and puts in a fend rather than crash n bash stuff

It really didn't bother me who won that game, i mean, i have sofspot for the hghlanders, so i always wanna see them win when its not against the 'Canes, but I also picked the Blues and wanted my pics, so yeh it didnt really bother me who won!

im not hating on him!..he seriously does have a bad case of the fumbles..other than that he is quite the complete package...

yer, I saw his drop one last night.. But it seems as though hes always thinking ahead..

But if he can fix up his retaining the ball problem, im sure the dropsies should be sorted soon.. getting more experience and playing more rugby will do him good

Latest posts