• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Why Super Rugby needs less Blue

Force is not Blue! Is LIGHT blue ;)

I would like to see more striped jerseys in Super Rugby, the more traditional design in the Rugby Union history.

That could actually help a lot. Even if you have two blue teams, if one is solid and one striped, it's much easier to tell who's who than when both are wearing blue jerseys, and perhaps different colored shorts.

Also, one thing that would help is if there was some sort of agreement between teams that no team has an away jersey the same color as any of the home teams. The best way to assure that is to make all home game jerseys a color, while all away jerseys are all white, with their home color used as an accent color only. I think the Chiefs jerseys are a good example of what I mean - the away jersey as a 'negative' of the home jersey.

das

I think this is a bit of a non-issue.

The Bulls and Stormers have ALWAYS wore blue in their jerseys, even before there was a Super Rugby tournament, playing in the Currie Cup.

The Blues, who were one of the original Super Rugby teams have also always wore blue, (maybe something to do with their name???).

Same can be said for the Waratahs.

The Highlanders used to be maroon and blue, with both colours sharing equal amount of space on the jersey.

I think the only 2 teams that could be pointed out are 2 of most recent additions to the Super Rugby franchise, the Force and the Rebels. I remember when the Force started out, they had a blue and a yellow jersey with a black swan on it. the yellow IMHO looked actually better, but it had so much similarity to the Hurricanes jersey that they then probably decided on not to continue with it.

Teams like the Highlanders and Bulls have now gone for the green jersey for their away kit, so that it doesn't clash with the home team's blue kit. The Bulls went for the pink kit 2 years in a row beforehand to get more female supporters and it was also a campaign for breast cancer awareness. It worked well for the purpose, even though many people hated the colour.

Blue is a colour liked by many people, and I can't see why it should be a point of concern. I like the Blue colours, I like the ideas the designers come up with. I think the franchise has the choice, and only they can decide on what it should be.

there is also no way that a team like the Bulls will ever not have a blue kit.

The Bulls did drop the "Blue" from their franchize name and are now merely "the Bulls"... think they are going somewhere else ITO color in the future?

Hein, did you see the varisty cup final yesterday? Crazy good game. Maybe because my Alma mater won though :p

That game just highlighted the fact that there is a big problem somewhere in the Stormers setup. We used to be known for our backline play and it's still there at junior level but we've almost overcorrected at the senior provincial level. I mean, the Stormers would never be able to score 3 tries in the last 5 minutes of a final.. the thought wouldn't even enter the players' minds.

The Bulls did drop the "Blue" from their franchize name and are now merely "the Bulls"... think they are going somewhere else ITO color in the future?

Hein, did you see the varisty cup final yesterday? Crazy good game. Maybe because my Alma mater won though :p

That game just highlighted the fact that there is a big problem somewhere in the Stormers setup. We used to be known for our backline play and it's still there at junior level but we've almost overcorrected at the senior provincial level. I mean, the Stormers would never be able to score 3 tries in the last 5 minutes of a final.. the thought wouldn't even enter the players' minds.

I arrived back from honeymoon last night around 22:00, I caught the highlights this morning before work. I think that game was fixed. James Small the coach of Pukke... yet who did he play for provincially??

I arrived back from honeymoon last night around 22:00, I caught the highlights this morning before work. I think that game was fixed. James Small the coach of Pukke... yet who did he play for provincially??

LOL. Nah, I think P just thought they already won and stopped playing and it still cost a miracle try at the death (off a P mistake) for Ikeys to pull through for the last try.

I think this is a bit of a non-issue.

The Bulls and Stormers have ALWAYS wore blue in their jerseys, even before there was a Super Rugby tournament, playing in the Currie Cup.

The Blues, who were one of the original Super Rugby teams have also always wore blue, (maybe something to do with their name???).

Same can be said for the Waratahs.

The Highlanders used to be maroon and blue, with both colours sharing equal amount of space on the jersey.

I think the only 2 teams that could be pointed out are 2 of most recent additions to the Super Rugby franchise, the Force and the Rebels. I remember when the Force started out, they had a blue and a yellow jersey with a black swan on it. the yellow IMHO looked actually better, but it had so much similarity to the Hurricanes jersey that they then probably decided on not to continue with it.

I actually acknowledged all of that if you read past the ***le...

I did, but I think you are missing the point where I say that it's the franchise's choice... Not SANZAR!
Sanzar never said SANZAR should choose, but rather have some input for away kits if there could be a clash.

Yeah, mind mind was blown when the Rebels came out with their current jersey.

People occasionally complain about the Highlanders green away jersey - but at least it's something a bit different!

That green jersey is a shocker.

I'd rather see them return to their 2008 kit which gave a nod to the other major partner in their franchise, and make their away jersey the maroon colour of Southland.

fullback_israel_dagg_left_models_the_new_home_high_6557432024.jpg

Like it's been pointed out, the home Jerseys are for the most part, based on tradition, and where a franchise is made up from several unions, incorporates the colours of those unions. As for the away strip, I don't care what colours they use, so long as some common sense is applied, e.g Don't wear the away strip if it conflicts with the home team's strip.

... In fact, in the instances where there's no conflict between both team's home strip and visiting team's home strip, why don't both teams just wear their home strip?

Last edited:

Latest posts