• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Round 5: Sharks v Crusaders

D

Dumbo

Match of the round.

The Sharks take on the Crusaders in Durban. The Sharks had a week off and the Crusaders come off a win against the Cheetahs.
The Sharks really are the top of the ladder, defensively they have only given up a mere 28 points to the opposition which is a great effort in this area.
The Crusaders last week showed that they do have the goods to score points. The question will be can they stay motivated after a big win against the Cheetah’s?

I think they can, Crusaders by 6’ish.

The crusaders, surprisingly, are only 1 point behind the blues in the attacking. Though they are 5th in the defensive this would put the crusaders (in my opinion) firm favourites to win this one.

We seam to be gelling as a team, well we did the last game with fewer errors. i woudl be looking forward to this game if i wasnt going to be in rotarua for a stupid conference.

I agree with woosah, Crusaders are just starting to gel as a team. Crusaders are a side that prides themselfs on patterned rugby & playing as a team rather then depending on individuals, so it was always going to be a matter of how long it took the new boys to learn those patterns and gel. I think Robbie's finallly tweaked them, so we should see the Crusaders win this by 3-14 margin. Even though the Sharks are at full strength this week( - 5-8 Steyn).

The Sharks Team
O. Ndungane, B. James & J. Ackermann all return

15. Percy Montgomery
14. Odwa Ndungane
13. Waylon Murray
12. Brad Barritt
11. JP Pietersen
10. Butch James
9. Ruan Pienaar
8. Ryan Kankowski
7. AJ Venter
6. Jacques Botes
5. Johann Muller
4. Johan Ackermann
3. BJ Botha
2. John Smit (Capt)
1. Deon Carstens

Replacements
16. Bismarck du Plessis
17. Beast Mtawarira
18. Albert van den Berg
19. Warren Britz
20. Keegan Daniel
21. Rory Kockott
22. Adrian Jacobs

Sharks v Crusaders

At King’s Park, Durban, 4am (Sun Mar 4)

Referee: Stuart Dickinson

There has generally never been much in contests between these two teams. Of the 12 previous matches played, nine have been determined by the 1-12 margin â€" including the last four in Durban. So tight is the rivalry, seven of the matches have been decided by a margin of a converted try or less, while the 1997 clash at Jade Stadium was squared 26-26. Overall, the Crusaders have won nine of the matches, with the score tally standing at three-two to the visiting side in games played at Durban, where the Sharks 29-25 success in 2004 snapped a three match losing run which dated back to 1998. The 2007 Crusade got back on track in spectacular fashion in Bloemfontein last weekend, with the six-try to three pasting of the Cheetahs lifting the defending champions up to fifth position on the log. They could also be further strengthened by the return of All Blacks wing Rico Gear (shoulder injury) and prop Campbell Johnstone, who both missed the win at Vodacom Park. The Sharks are unbeaten in three at home thus far, but have failed to record a try-scoring bonus point as yet, whereas the Crusaders have two. Defensively, the Sharks have conceded just one try in three matches, while the Crusaders have given up eight in four games.

Last year: Crusaders 22, Sharks 20 at Timaru

Recent Form â€"

Sharks: Beat the Bulls (home) 17-3, Beat the NSW Waratahs (home) 22-9, Beat the Highlanders (home) 23-16

Crusaders: Beat the Queensland Reds (home) 33-22, Lost to the Lions (away) 3-9, Beat the Cheetahs (away) 49-28

Pretty handy Sharks line-up, that- close to their strongest starting XV IMO.

I`ll go for the Sharks by a couple, by virtue of their greater freshness with a bye last week, and the Crusaders playing their 3rd consecutive long-haul game in the Republic. The Sharks have one of the better scrums and line-outs in the comp, certainly their line-out won`t just curl up and die like the Cheetahs line-out last weekend.

The biggest issue for the Sharks will be whether their back row can compete on the floor, an area where the Cheetahs were completely outclassed last week. Also, the halfback pairing looks like a pretty handy match-up. This is where the game will be won and lost, in the back row, line-outs and halfbacks. The Sharks certainly looks better equipped at line-outs and in the halfs than the Cheetahs did last week.

That said, the Crusaders were pretty close to perfect last week- everything they touched, turned to gold. Typical Robbie Deans rugby really, and they`ll definately go into this game as the punters` favourites.

yeah punters favourites is true,

4 people have put the crusaders to win, though they arnt the actual favourites. 1:3 to the Sharks in the Perfect Bookie :)

Just to be different and feed my inner one eyed cantabrian, I am going to pick the Crusaders in a blowout (14+ points).

crusaders firing now and sharks had the week off so will be a tad rusty. crusaders play very well as a team and the win last week will give them heaps of confidence. the sharks look the best of the african teams and are at home but I don't think they have enough coming off a bye to beat the crusaders. it might be tight early on but the crusaders will run it out in the last half and win by 12+

Well, both teams have a lot to prove..

I know the sharks are unbeaten, but they haven't really played the "big guns" as of yet.

Waratahs are no good this year, and was it the Bulls? They lost to the Force D:

Hopefully my memory is correct :D

I'm hoping for a Sharks win..

Sharks have one of the best Defence in the comp so far, and that does not look likely to change.

Sharks by 10+

(P.S: I just cant see myself supporting the Crusaders)

That's fair enough jugg.. I was born and bred in Auckland and I can't stand the Blues :)

CRUSADERS: 15 Scott Hamilton, 14 Rico Gear, 13 Casey Laulala, 12 Rua Tipoki, 11 Caleb Ralph, 10 Stephen Brett, 9 Andrew Ellis; 8 Mose Tuiali'i, 7 Johnny Leo'o, 6 Kieran Read, 5 Michael Paterson, 4 Ross Filipo, 3 Campbell Johnstone, 2 Corey Flynn ©, 1 Ben Franks. Reserves: 16 Ti'i Paulo, 17 Wyatt Crockett, 18 Isaac Ross, 19 Peter Nixon, 20 Kevin Senio, 21 Tusi Pisi, 22 Brent Ward.

Tipoki out due to a hamstring injury and will be replaced by 19 year old Tim Bateman. Big loss for the Crusaders to have Tipoki ruled out

13-6 to the Crusaders at halftime in Durban.

Crusaders 13 (Kieran Read try; Stephen Brett 2 penalty goals, 1 conversion)

Sharks 6 (Percy Montgomery 2 penalty goals)

[/b]

HAHAHA EAT IT, MUTHA F***AS !

:lol:

Sharks 27 - 26 Crusaders

Match of the competition, too bad we were on the wrong side of it but what a game. The Sharks really had no right winning this game, it is a complete lack of awareness on the part of Canterbury. All they had to do was put the ball into touch and they leave South Africa with 2 out of 3 possible wins. That's pretty good, but no they had to go for the bonus point. That was very frustrating. It is clear that this is not the Canterbury of old that's for sure. This would have never happened with McCaw and Co out there and there would have been far fewer handling errors. That part of the game was jsut shocking, from both sides. But they played with the right mind set. Great game.

What a finish. I thought France v Ireland was close as it gets.

What were the Crusaders thinking? All those sideburns ... Seriously, they played it perfect in the last ten minutes, keeping it tight and grunty. And then - :huh:

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

HAHAHA EAT IT, MUTHA F***AS !

:lol:

Sharks 27 - 26 Crusaders
[/b][/quote]

Enjoy it well it lasts, because you know what will happen once McCaw and co are back. :toss: :lol2tn: :lol2tn: :lol2tn: :lol2tn:

im loving this years super 14 without the ABs. quite impressed with the young talent in the nz teams and also south african teams winning away from home. best thing is that all teams seem to be fairly even and can beat each other on their day.

full credit to the sharks for sticking in the game for the full 80 minutes. im really impressed by the crusaders though. playing away from home and without the ABs. they have done really well. it will be tough task for all the other teams when the ABs get back.

Match of the competition, too bad we were on the wrong side of it but what a game. The Sharks really had no right winning this game, it is a complete lack of awareness on the part of Canterbury. All they had to do was put the ball into touch and they leave South Africa with 2 out of 3 possible wins. That's pretty good, but no they had to go for the bonus point. That was very frustrating.
[/b]

Going for what bonus point? Crusaders only scored 2 tries. Going for a 3rd?

Why did the sharks have no right winning this game? Ndungane should've scored a try earlier on, but stuffed it up. Guess he made up for that error.

It just seemed like the Crusaders were being arrogant, and tried to deny the Sharks a bonus point more than anything else.

Latest posts