• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Round 8: Chiefs v Highlanders

D

Dumbo

The Chiefs (ranked equal 8th) take on the Highlanders (ranked 7th) in Hamilton.
The Highlanders showed huge defence in the last outing that just may stop the Chiefs in their tracks.
The game has the possibility of being interesting… if both teams backline can get good ball it could be worth watching.

Chiefs to win ! Sorry, but after losing Evans, i don`t recognize Highlanders anymore

If selections remain relatively unchanged in both camps then there are going to be some really good match ups.

I expect the Highlanders to have it over the Chiefs in the forward pack.
The Highlanders can field Oliver, Hayman, Blackie and Ryan while the Chiefs can field Gibbes, Lauaki and Holah (where the hell is Liam Messam???). Unfortunately for the Chiefs I don't think that’s enough for them to dominate the forward pack.

However... the backline is where everything gets a lot more interesting... Highlanders have got Blair, Smylie, Kinikinilau, Delasau, Brew and Mapusua. The Chiefs on the other hand have Muliaina, Sivivatu, Kelleher, Anesi and Tuitupou.
With that line up I think the Chiefs have got the advantage (plus the Highlanders are going in to the game without an established 1st5)... if Evans was playing I'd say that the Highlanders would have it in the bag (it's a real shame that he's not playing - would have made this game a real highlight).

Oh yeah and one more thing... the match up between Mapusua (if he's playing) and Tuitupou would be well worth the entrance fee.

Chiefs: 15 - Loki Crichton, 14 - Sosene Anesi, 13 - Mils Muliaina, 12 - David Hill, 11- Sitiveni Sivivatu, 10 - Stephen Donald, 9 - Jamie Nutbrown, 8 - Sione Lauaki, 7 - Marty Holah, 6 - Steven Bates, 5 - Sean Hohneck, 4 - Jono Gibbes (captain), 3 - Ben Castle, 2- Aleki Lutui, 1- Simms Davison.
Reserves: Tom Willis, Nathan White, Bernie Upton, Liam Messam, Byron Kelleher, Sam Tuitupou, Lelia Masaga.

Not confirmed (released via allblacks.com), Mils at 13... Hill back in at 2nd5 (will help Donald out no end), no Byron (wahooo).

Game is getting a little bit ore interesting.

Head to Head:
Chiefs: 1 - Simms Davison, 2 - Aleki Lutui, 3 - Ben Castle, 4 - Jono Gibbes (captain), 5 - Sean Hohneck, 6 - Steven Bates, 7 - Marty Holah, 8 - Sione Lauaki, 9 - Jamie Nutbrown, 10 - Stephen Donald, 11 - Sitiveni Sivivatu, 12 - David Hill, 13 - Mils Muliaina, 14 - Sosene Anesi, 15 - Loki Crichton.
Reserves: 16 - Tom Willis, 17 - Nathan White, 18 - Bernie Upton, 19 - Liam Messam, 20 - Byron Kelleher, 21 - Sam Tuitupou, 22 - Lelia Masaga.

Highlanders: 1 - Clarke Dermody, 2 - Anton Oliver (Captain), 3 - Carl Hayman, 4 - Tom Donnelly, 5 - James Ryan, 6 - Hale T-Pole, 7 - Josh Blackie, 8 - Craig Newby, 9 - Jimmy Cowan, 10 - Callum Bruce, 11 - Richard Kahui, 12 - Jason Kawau, 13 - Seilala Mapusua, 14 - Neil Brew, 15 - Ben Blair.
Reserves: 16 - Jason Macdonald, 17 - Chris King, 18 - Filipo Levi, 19 - Tim Boys, 20 - Chris Smylie, 21 - Willie Ripia, 22 - Roy Kinikinilau.

Jono and Muliaina could still be out with injury... Mapusua at center!? could be interesting to deal with for Mils... hold on Brew on the wing?! think allblacks.com have got this screwed up... what the?

Nope they haven't got it screwed up, Cooper just wants to play ten man rugby with a strong defensive backline.

Serious? I'm keen to see Mapusua at Center, he's been the stand out 2nd5 thus far for all Kiwi's sides... center though, didn't see that coming

interesting game and another great chance to see the class of sivi of anesi carve up. caused problems all night for the higlanders. some shocking kicking by both teams especially poor callum bruce from the highlanders had a shocker. highlanders are missing evans a lot and having brew and kahui on the wings was a big mistake.

lauaki is the form number 8 in nz....his work rate is picking up quickly,his support play is better and his finding his form again with his powerful runs

id like to say that every great number 8 makes there presence felt..and felt very hard in contact..new zealand have lacked that type of number 8 since zinny...im not saying lauaki is that great im just saying he has that potential to influence more of the outcome on any game he plays..needs more more finesse tho and with flavell making giant strides he needs to make more effort in his game now...

he has the potential to be our most robust ball-carrying forward in AGES..its a been awhile since we had that type of forward

Originally posted by esoj@Apr 2 2006, 03:08 PM
interesting game and another great chance to see the class of sivi of anesi carve up. caused problems all night for the higlanders. some shocking kicking by both teams especially poor callum bruce from the highlanders had a shocker. highlanders are missing evans a lot and having brew and kahui on the wings was a big mistake.
Brew on the wing was a mistake, but Kahui was fine. I personally hope that he transfers down to Otago.

Callum Bruce is a quality player, it's just that I think that the step up for him has just been to big.

2nd really good game of the weekend... funny how if you want to see an open game of rugby in the super 14 you have to watch two Kiwi sides square off

Originally posted by Dumbo@Apr 3 2006, 12:26 AM
2nd really good game of the weekend... funny how if you want to see an open game of rugby in the super 14 you have to watch two Kiwi sides square off
how true

unless its anyone vs the cats or the force...actually they should combine to form the 'the cat force' and lessen points scored over them by about 10....

Originally posted by Dumbo@Apr 3 2006, 01:26 AM
aye the hurricanes v crusaders was pretty good as well from what i saw of it

Stormers v Force was the best game of the round by far

second was Crusaders v Canes

Latest posts