• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Round 8: Waratahs v Cheetahs

Originally posted by aussie1st@Mar 31 2006, 06:03 AM
The Waratahs got the nickname Tahs first so the Cheetahs can be called the Cheet :)
Wouldn't it be The Chee??

Just being picky. B)

Head to Head:
Waratahs: 15 Peter Hewat, 14 Wendell Sailor, 13 Morgan Turinui, 12 Shaun Berne, 11 Lote Tuqiri, 10 Daniel Halangahu, 9 Chris Whitaker (captain), 8 David Lyons, 7 Stephen Hoiles, 6 Wycliff Palu, 5 Daniel Vickerman (vice-captain), 4 Alex Kanaar, 3 Al Baxter, 2 Adam Freier, 1 Benn Robinson.
Replacements: 16 Tatafu Polota-Nau, 17 Matt Dunning, 18 Will Caldwell, 19 Rocky Elsom, 20 Phil Waugh, 21 Brett Sheehan, 22 Sam Norton-Knight.

Cheetahs: 15 Bevin Fortuin, 14 Giscard Pieters, 13 Ronnie Cooke, 12 Keith Lowen, 11 Sinethemba Zweni, 10 Willem de Waal, 9 Michael Claassens, 8 Frans Viljoen, 7 Ockie van Zyl, 6 Ryno van der Merwe (captain), 5 Barend Pieterse, 4 Corniel van Zyl, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Tiaan Liebenberg, 1 Os du Randt.
Replacements: 16 Ollie le Roux, 17 Wian du Preez, 18 Cobus Grobler, 19 Gareth Krause, 20 Kabamba Floors, 21 Falie Oelschig, 22 Eddie Fredericks

Half time 6-0 waratahs

Someone please kill Halangahu and Berne :wall:

Norton-Knight has a great cut-out pass ,when you you play fly half for the tahs you need a cut-out pass..........so you can CUT OUT BERNE.

Well this one's not going the way I thought it would... Cheetahs are still in this one BIG TIME

I had some vodka and now i`m calm ! No nothing Dumbo, no nothing, lame, very lame !

Tahs have no chance against the Crusaders with Halangahu and Berne at 10 and 12.

Norton-Knight looked sharpe when he came on....... use him or lose him Ewan.

Norton Knight at 10, Halangahu at 12. Norton Knight has the kicking game, while Halangahu a good step which would make him like Giteau at 12. Drop Berne no need for him.

Originally posted by The TRUTH!!@Apr 1 2006, 12:59 AM
Tahs have no chance against the Crusaders with Halangahu and Berne at 10 and 12.

Norton-Knight looked sharpe when he came on....... use him or lose him Ewan.
Rogers will be back next week, you watch.

Here's in interesting Article:

Originally posted by Cheetahs or CHEETERS?

NSW outlast dodgy Cheetahs

By Ben Kimber
Saturday, April 1, 2006  Print this article

Waratahs 26 Cheetahs 3

Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie last night slammed the negative tactics of the Cheetahs after NSW had to grind their way through a frustrating, misfiring game to eke out a win against their stop-start opponents.

McKenzie stopped short of suggesting the South Africans were faking injuries to slow things down but was incredulous at the way the match had panned out and hinted at underhand tactics.

"I've been involved in some slow games, but ... I've never seen so many injuries in my life," he said. "I was falling asleep in the coaches' box. The game ran over time. I think they ran out of videotape in the end."

McKenzie apologised to fans after the match had dragged on, with Cheetahs players regularly sprawled on the turf, causing stoppages that took the wind from the Waratahs' sails and handed the visiting team's big men regular rest stops.

"I understand tactics ... but there's also a responsibility to deliver a product," he said. "In the end, we're in the entertainment business and if we all played like that every week no one would ever bother turning up.

"I thought it was ridiculous. I can't believe so few people can be injured so often. There's an abnormal aspect to it."

Despite five early minutes in which they looked to spread the ball and were held up over the line, it soon seemed as if the Cheetahs had arrived with the sole focus of stopping the home side rather than scoring any points themselves.

The visitors came into the match with a murky reputation over the use of injuries to rotate their front-rowers, and last night the injuries among their side reached almost farcical levels as they forced the game into their preferred snail's pace.

Frustration among the NSW players and match officials escalated as the game progressed, and after being twice held up and once called back for a forward pass when tries seemed a certainty for NSW, Wendell Sailor's opening five-pointer in the 69th minute, when he beat three defenders, broke the drought.

Before this blessed relief, it seemed as if NSW would earn the win through penalty goals alone. But the five-pointer opened the door and was capped by an intercept try to Peter Hewat to seal a deserved win. The fullback also landed six from six goals following his nine from nine against the Blues last weekend.

Hewat and NSW may have been in form, but the spoiling tactics of the Cheetahs meant the home team never had things all their own way.

Asked about the number of injuries in the Cheetahs side, Hewat rolled his eyes and said: "They looked really injured. They're good actors."

Cheetahs coach Rassie Erasmus defended his side's performance, suggesting the effects of a six-day turnaround after their trip from South Africa were to blame for the high injury rate that flooded the field with Cheetahs trainers.

McKenzie said such a bending of the laws was hard to stop, and noted his own team contributed to a poor game and would need to improve ahead of next week's match against the Crusaders.

"I guess if you play on, you'll work out pretty quickly who's actually injured and who isn't, but the reality is when they're strategically strewn out all over the field, it's very hard to play on without actually endangering the people attending to the people who are injured," he said.

"[But] we made our own errors and mistakes, so we contributed to the dour spectacle. People will be critical of the game but, in the end, it was a win for us and we move on."

The win was welcome but could also prove costly, with loosehead prop Benn Robinson forced from the field after only eleven minutes with a shoulder injury.

He was taken to hospital, where a scan confirmed an injury to an AC joint. Robinson is unlikely to be ready for next Friday's crucial clash with the Crusaders in Christchurch, which means the No.1 jersey will go back to Matt Dunning.

NSW WARATAHS 26 (W Sailor, P Hewat tries; Hewat 4 penalty goals, 2 goals) bt CHEETAHS 3 (W de Waal 1 penalty goal) at Aussie Stadium. Referee: C Pollock (NZ). Crowd: 25,296.

lol blaming the cheetahs for a bad game. quite simply the waratahs were shocking last night and the cheetahs played well. the tahs were just not themselves and were failing to execute correctly. they will need to pick it up against the crusaders because they will not get the chances they did agains the cheetahs and will be puninshed for their mistakes.

Tah's (regardless of the final score) didn't look the part for this game. I think if they play like that against the Crusaders then they are going to go down big time

Rogers back this week

Never seen so many injuries in 80mins in my entire life

Dodgy Cheaters!!!!!

Bring on the Saders.............The Cru-faders!!!!

Waratahs have the best defence, so there's no way there gonna get blown away.

Rogers back so the Crusaders game will be close,a rematch of last years final and a preview of this years grand final....... go Tahs.

Originally posted by esoj@Apr 2 2006, 02:04 PM
lol blaming the cheetahs for a bad game. quite simply the waratahs were shocking last night and the cheetahs played well. the tahs were just not themselves and were failing to execute correctly. they will need to pick it up against the crusaders because they will not get the chances they did agains the cheetahs and will be puninshed for their mistakes.
Just for the record, last night on Inside Rugby they showed several parts of that game with with highlighted circles around the faking players to PROVE the CHEATERS were purposely slowing down the game... but I doubt you saw the match anyway esoj. In one shot it showed play restarting after a line out and the Cheater's hooker walking casually, then all of a sudden beding to lie down and putting his leg up in the air, forcing a trainer to come on and stop the match (who did absolutely nothing to him), then he was up again and fine... It's pretty obvious that the Cheaters were just scared of suffering the same fate as the cats, and as a result purposely slowed the whole game down.

Latest posts