• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Round One: Cheetahs v Stormers

D

Dumbo

Another big match up in Bokland... think I might have been one of the few that where genuinely impressed by the Cheetahs last year (really do think they have a lot of potential).
The Stormers however (based on last year’s performance) will, I’m sure, put in a better performance this year.

Team selections will be interesting.

I think the stormers will play better this year.

and this is why.

(via the supersport website)

"That is why I don’t worry about the Stormers tight forwards. In the Super 14 it has never been about forward domination. The Bulls are the only team in the competition who really follow that approach. In the northern hemisphere the scrum and lineout is a crucial weapon of attack, but in the Super 14 the tight phases have tended to be a means of restarting the game"

"Last year the Stormers got sucked into playing a more forward orientated game, and except in matches against the other South African teams, the pack did show great improvement. But this season the Stormers are returning to their roots by playing a more expansive attacking game"

we've allways had the pace and the loosies so let's run sircles around everyone this year :rahh:

Not sure how much better they are going to play but hopefully semi finals.

As for the game, I think it'll be such a tight game in any case, but I have to go with the stormers taking it (*if not by much*).

Not too sure about some of the lines there boggle.

It's the big boy's that setup for the rest of the team, to lose any advantage in the tight five is going to cause your scrums to be non competitive and just generally cause you problems all over the show...

Also we have heard from a lot of teams that they are going to play an expansive game but seldom does it come off. The Stormers last year they showed that they could pass the ball through the back line and indicated that they are playing the 'expansive' game but the results or go forward ball where missing.

New year though and all the best.
From the Stormers camp I'd be hoping to hear words like 'consolidating', 'back to basics', 'ball retention' and 'enjoyment'.

Any idea on what the expected line up for the Stormers is going to be?

I have absolutely no idea actually.

But something interesting, Luke Watson will actually be alternating between playing at 6 and 7 this year becuase Schalk Burger is back in the team, this will undoubtably please Jake white who would want Burger to play at 6 instead of 7. I'm ok with that decision actually, get's them both used to playing both left and right.

so now I finally have my dream loose trio, Schalk Burger, Luke Watson and Joe van Niekerk.
that's possibly one of the best loose trios in the competition.

actually untill Richie and the gang return at week 7 it probably is the best.

Not the team who's playing but I suppose it's all I can give you (*unless you allready knew as much*)

The Vodacom Stormers squad is:

Props:
Eddie Andrews, Schalk Ferreira; Brok Harris, JD Moller

Hookers:
Schalk Brits, Huia Edmonds, Tiaan Liebenberg

Locks:
Andries Bekker, Selborne Boome, Gerrie Britz, Ross Skeate

Loose-forwards:
Schalk Burger, Robbie Diack, Justin Melck, Joe van Niekerk, Luke Watson

Scrumhalves:
Bolla Conradie, JP Joubert

Flyhalves:
Naas Olivier, Brent Russell

Centres:
De Wet Barry, Jean De Villiers, Dylan Des Fountain, Peter Grant, Corne Uys

Wings:
Breyton Paulse, Joe Pietersen, Egon Seconds

Fullbacks:
Conrad Jantjes, Gio Aplon,

* Tonderai Chavhanga, Chumani Booi (injured), Pieter Louw, Francois van der Merwe
(I think these guys are all injured)

Thanks for that, hmmm me thinks there's a bit of talent there, fingers crossed they can jell as a 'team'.
Also thanks for that as it's more than I've heard so far.
Has anyone else noticed that the media seems to be strangly absent?
Have heard 'f' all.

Anyone know what the line up for the Cheetahs could be?
Actualy have noticed that there hasn't been to many Cheetahs supports around these parts...

From what I can gather from the pre-season warm-ups, and the current form of players, the Stormers line-up could look something like this:

15- Gio Aplon
14- Breyton Paulse
13- Corne Uys
12- Jean De Villiers
11- Conrad Jantjies
10- Naas Olivier
9- Bolla Conradie
8- Joe Van Niekerk
7- Luke Watson
6- Schalk Burger
5- Ross Skeate
4- Andries Bekker
3- Eddie Andrews
2- Schalk Brits
1- Neil Fullard

Some talent in the tight 5, but very short on experience at this level, and the Cheetahs will probably target them there, especially in the line-outs.

The Cheetahs will probably fielda backline looking something like this:
:wall:
15- Bevan Fortuin
14- Rayno Benjamin
13- Marius Joubert
12- Meyer Bosman/ Hendrik Meyer
11- Phillip Burger
10- Willem De Waal/ Herkie Kruger
9- Falie Oelschig, as Michael Claassens appears to be injured

Add to that a potent front row and a backrow featuring plenty of pace (Kabamba floors and ryno vd Merwe), and also an excellent line-out forward in Barend Pieterse (although he might miss this one through injury) and you get a side that should have it over my beloved Stormers.

Also, the Cheetahs have been our bogey side for the last 2 years, beating us in the semi`s of the Currie Cup in 224 and 2005, and messing up our CC league run in 2006. They also have home ground advantage and should pull this one through by less than 7. Hoping that I`m wrong, but believing that I`m right.

Not over till the fat lady sings.

The Stormers team you've out forth has a good front row, not to sure about your locks at this stage but you might have a potent group of lose forwards... just hope the backs can make 'a' or 'the' differance.

welcome back Schalk Burger.

13- Corne Uys

Just how good is he. This is the first time I've heard of him and it really was shattering to hear about my fellow countryman Sireli Naqelevuki.

He was tipped to be the starting #13.

Is Uys capable??

13- Corne Uys

Just how good is he. This is the first time I've heard of him and it really was shattering to hear about my fellow countryman Sireli Naqelevuki.

He was tipped to be the starting #13.

Is Uys capable??
[/b]

Yes, he was an outstanding player (*for me*) in the currie cup.

Hope he makes a good transition to the Super 14.

Was pretty shattered by the news on Sireli also- just imagine his silky running skills next to the creative Jean de Villiers.

Corne Uys was pretty good in the Currie Cup last year. He`ll most likely be up against former mountain goat, Marius Joubert. Could be an excellent tussle- the one looking to re-establish some claims for a Bok recall, the other needing to show why he`s so highly rated in the Cape that Joubert got shifted.

Also a mouthwatering tussle of the back rows looming- Burger and Watson vs. Floors and V D Merwe in the battle to the breakdown, and Big Joe vs. Juan Smith as the creative, ball-carrying linkman.

News from the Cheetahs camp is that all 3 their 1st-choice locks are injured- but this is more than likely a Rassie Erasmus special again- he`s known here in Saffaland for announcing one team to the press, and then running out with another on match-day.

News from the Cheetahs camp is that all 3 their 1st-choice locks are injured- but this is more than likely a Rassie Erasmus special again- he`s known here in Saffaland for announcing one team to the press, and then running out with another on match-day.
[/b]

Ah! yes the oldest trick in the rugby book. I read somewhere that Juan Smith may have to play at lock to cover those injuries.

Floors is a workhorse. He'll give Watson and Burger a run for their money.

Here is the Cheetahs line-up as announced to the press (so expect a change or 2):

15- Tiger MMangweni
14- Eddie Fredericks
13- Marius Joubert
12- Meyer Bosman
11- Philip Burger
10- Herkie Kruger- I fully expect Willem de Waal to show up at 10
9- the not-so-badly-injured Michjael Claassens
8- Ryno vd Merwe/Kabamba Floors- one to start from the bench, the other to run on
7- Juan Smith(capt)
6- Hendro Scholtz
5- Corniel van Zyl
4- Darron Nell
3- Jannie du Plessis
2- Adriaan Strauss
1- Ollie le Roux

Reserves:
16- Richardt Strauss
17- CJ vd Linde
18- Bian Vermaak
19- Ryno vd Merwe/Kabamba Floors- the one who isn`t starting
20- Noel Oelschig
21- Hendrik Meyer
22- Ronnie Cooke

Very solid front row, one of the best no3`s in SA in Du Plessis, a magic hooker in Strauss, and the evergreen Le Roux at 1, also CJ, an incumbment Bok, on the bench.

Corniel van Zyl should supply plenty of line-out ball, not too convinced about Nell at 4- possible weakness for the Stormers to exploit. Pretty handy in the loosies,would be better if V D Merwe started at 8 and Floors at 6( openside is 6 in SA), with Smith at blindside.

Very good attacking backs esp. in the centres, look out for Cooke if he comes on- very quick off the mark, awesome sidestep. At fullback, Mangweni will run everything, but nowhere near as solid as Fortuin- if the Stormers start with Olivier at 10 as expected, Mangweni will be targeted.

Could be pretty close if the Stormers loosies target Kruger, not a very accomplished 10 in my book, but I still believe that the Cheetahs have enough firepower up front to deny the quicksilver Stormers backs sufficient ball.

And the Cheetahs pack were just too good in the end- the Stormers had precious little ball to play with, and with Eddie Andrews playing at outside centre for most of the game (goodness knows why he`s hanging around there) any possible counter-attacking was just impossible.

The Cheetahs are looking pretty sharp at this early stage, if they can come away with some success from their tour leg, they might just end up as a surprise package this year.

The try by CJ was awesome.

Cheetahs are the dark horse of this tournament..

They have a good coach and players and will be in the Semi-finals. Remember you read it here first.

Latest posts