• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Round One: Reds v Hurricanes

D

Dumbo

Reds take on the Canes in Brisbane... going to go with the Canes on this one but expect the Reds to put in a good performance.
Again would be nice to see who’s playing.

How'd he not end up playing for the Blues? (other than having players like Doug Howlett and Josevata Rokocoko).

Still would be good to see the lineups

GO THE CANES!!

w00t im quite excited :D

*waits for the line-up's to be named and released*

Reds will be without Cordingley,Latham,C.Brown :angry: Johansson(dropped for showing up late to training) and Cooper (dropped for the same reason as Lloyd)

Thats 4 of their starting backline players.

-------------------------------

The big news in Wellington this week is.....

Who stole captain Hurricanes Hurriplane???

captainhurricane_lost_plane.jpg

He doesn't look to happy about about it

Captain Hurricane today spoke of his sadness at losing his Hurriplane.

“My new Hurriplane was only finished last week, just in time for our match against the Chiefs at Wanganui. It took six months to build and we had a great time at the game going round the pitch. Unfortunately, when I was flying back to Wellington one of the tyres blew out, so I had to leave the Hurriplane by Boat City in Paraparaumu.

“By the time we got back there with the new tyre, somebody had already taken it away. I would think that some young Hurricanes supporters have just borrowed it, but we really need to get it back very quickly in time for our game against the Blues. Nobody will be in any trouble for taking it: I will just be glad to see it again.

“Anyone who finds my Hurriplane can have two season passes so that they can watch all the Hurricanes home games for free, along with a friend. All they have to do is ring the Hurricanes office on 04 389 0020 and tell us where they’ve seen my Hurriplane. I’ll be straight over to pick it up.â€[/b]

Quade Cooper wouldn't have started and Johansson's shithouse form from last season had carried over into this year's trials. Still, the Reds had little backline depth to begin with so losing any player is going to have a negative impact.

Possible Queensland XXII

1. Greg Holmes*
2. Sean Hardman*
3. Rodney Blake*
4. James Horwill^
5. Hugh McMeniman*
6. Mitchell Chapman
7. David Croft*
8. John Roe* ©
9. Nic Berry
10. Berrick Barnes
11. Peter Hynes
12. Andrew Brown
13. Ben Tune*
15. Clinton Schifcofske

16. Stephen Moore*
17. Ben Coutts/Anthony Mathison^
18. Ed O'Donoghue/Cameron Treloar
19. Tom McVerry/AJ Gilbert
20. Will Genia
21. Ryan Nicholas
22. Henari Veratau

* denotes Australian representation, ^ denotes Australian A representation

Arguably the competition's best young forward pack, but they are inexperienced and still a few years away from peaking. Could have done with a Sharpe or Kefu around to lead the way but ah well. At this stage the backline lacks any real penetration so they'll be relying on some decent ball from the forwards this year so their kickers Berrick Barnes and Schif have some room to breath. Under Eddie Jones this Queensland teams, like all good Queensland teams, will look to be very strong defensively.

Hey Wally, whats the story with Nicholas? i heard he was still in Japan and wouldn't be available for the first month or so.

Hey Wally, whats the story with Nicholas? i heard he was still in Japan and wouldn't be available for the first month or so.
[/b]

I wasn't aware dude. That could well be right and is probably the reason his name hasn't been thrown up for a starting birth with the suspension of LJ. He certainly took no part in any of the trials.

Last I heard Nicholas wont be coming over anymore. He seemed to have snubbed the Reds...and I dont blame him.

Red's centre Lloyd Johansson and rookie fly-half Quade Cooper out for not turning up to practise on time.

Head to Head:
REDS:
15 Clinton Schifcofske
14 Henari Veratau
13 Ben Tune
12 Andrew Brown
11 Peter Hynes
10 Berrick Barnes
9 Nic Berry
8 John Roe ©
7 David Croft
6 Mitch Chapman
5 Hugh McMeniman
4 James Horwill
3 Rodney Blake
2 Sean Hardman
1 Greg Holmes
Reserves:
16 Stephen Moore
17 Ben Coutts
18 Ed O'Donoghue
19 AJ Gilbert/Tom McVerry
20 Will Genia
21 Charlie Fetoai, 22 Brando Va'alu.

HURRICANES:
15 Cory Jane
14 Hosea Gear
13 Conrad Smith ©
12 Ma'a Nonu
11 David Smith
10 Jimmy Gopperth
9 Chris Smylie
8 Thomas Waldrom
7 Nili Latu
6 Luke Andrews
5 Bernie Upton
4 Paul ***o
3 Neemia Tialata
2 Tone Kopelani
1 John Schwalger
Reserves:
16 Mahonri Schwalger
17 Tim Fairbrother
18 Bradley Mika
19 Serge Lilo
20 Alby Mathewson
21 Tamati Ellison
22 Tana Umaga.

Not looking good for the Reds at all...

DAVID SMITH!!!! DAVID SMITH!!!! DAVID SMITH!!!!...and corey jane at fullback??..thats pretty cool coz if he can cover that as well as he played wing last year then we have another utility back for the allblacks...

id like to see mika at 8 and waldrom at 6 tho..but what a turn of events for nili latu..one of the most ruthless losse forwards in new zealand joins the gang of sooialo,masoe and jerry collins....OUCH!!!..when those fellaz come back...oh hell..

I'm sooo excited :D

WE'RE GUNNA ROLL THE REDS..lmao.

I'm really really interested in seeing how ol Clinton Schifcofske goes!

1 Greg Holmes
2 Sean Hardman
3 Rodney Blake
4 James Horwill
5 Hugh McMeniman
6 Mitch Chapman
7 David Croft
8 John Roe ©
9 Nic Berry
10 Berrick Barnes
11 Peter Hynes
12 Andrew Brown
13 Ben Tune
14 Henari Veratau
15 Clinton Schifcofske

16 Stephen Moore
17 Ben Coutts
18 Ed O’Donoghue
19 Tom McVerry
20 Will Genia
21 Charlie Fetoai
22 Brando Va'alu

_/_/_/

If the Reds are to win this one it will be through the forwards - solid set pieces - and on the back of some hard, gutsy defence. In the backs watch out for Genia, Fetoai, Va'alu - Queensland's next wave of Wallaby potential talent - and ofcourse Berrick Barnes and Schifcofske. Also keep an out out for the two props and Hugh McMeniman, they may well be starting Wallabies come World Cup time.

Should be a good match up front with Tialata, Kopelani and Schwalger vs Holmes, Hardman and big Rodney Blake... both offer a lot of muscle.

Be good to watch.

The big news in Wellington this week is.....

Who stole captain Hurricanes Hurriplane???

captainhurricane_lost_plane.jpg

He doesn't look to happy about about it

Captain Hurricane today spoke of his sadness at losing his Hurriplane.

“My new Hurriplane was only finished last week, just in time for our match against the Chiefs at Wanganui. It took six months to build and we had a great time at the game going round the pitch. Unfortunately, when I was flying back to Wellington one of the tyres blew out, so I had to leave the Hurriplane by Boat City in Paraparaumu.

“By the time we got back there with the new tyre, somebody had already taken it away. I would think that some young Hurricanes supporters have just borrowed it, but we really need to get it back very quickly in time for our game against the Blues. Nobody will be in any trouble for taking it: I will just be glad to see it again.

“Anyone who finds my Hurriplane can have two season passes so that they can watch all the Hurricanes home games for free, along with a friend. All they have to do is ring the Hurricanes office on 04 389 0020 and tell us where they’ve seen my Hurriplane. I’ll be straight over to pick it up.â€[/b]
[/b]

For some reason that just seems like a promotional competition thing........ :eek: Surely if someone has taken it they'd be locked up? No?

1 Greg Holmes
2 Sean Hardman
3 Rodney Blake
4 James Horwill
5 Hugh McMeniman
6 Mitch Chapman
7 David Croft
8 John Roe ©
9 Nic Berry
10 Berrick Barnes
11 Peter Hynes
12 Andrew Brown
13 Ben Tune
14 Henari Veratau
15 Clinton Schifcofske

16 Stephen Moore
17 Ben Coutts
18 Ed O’Donoghue
19 Tom McVerry
20 Will Genia
21 Charlie Fetoai
22 Brando Va'alu

_/_/_/

If the Reds are to win this one it will be through the forwards - solid set pieces - and on the back of some hard, gutsy defence. In the backs watch out for Genia, Fetoai, Va'alu - Queensland's next wave of Wallaby potential talent - and ofcourse Berrick Barnes and Schifcofske. Also keep an out out for the two props and Hugh McMeniman, they may well be starting Wallabies come World Cup time.
[/b]
Yep, I heard that the Reds are going to focus on playing 10 man Rugby to win this game, trying to use their forwards to beat the Hurricanes pack. Should be interesting...

Latest posts