• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Roundabouts and other driving pet peeves

Some drivers. Entitled and arrogant.

I had a Rolls Royce SUV driver turn into a road I was waiting on to go straight ahead at. His lane was closed, so he had to use my lane to get around the road closed signs in his.

Mobile phone in right hand whilst turning with window open and then stopped and stuck his head out the window and asked me to move after I gestured for him to put his phone away.

Well unluckily for him I was wearing my camera on my helmet and caught the whole thing and submitted to the police. MAPA confirmed which I hope means 6 points and a £200 fine. Worse still, his insurance next year will be very expensive.

Last edited:
This Government has no road safety strategy. Just let the police/paramedics clean up the mess and consequences of bad driving. Graduated licenses for young/male drivers should be made compulsory and no carrying passengers after dark.

Interesting/tragic short documentary on the impact of young male drivers on the victim's family.

I wonder if video games has something to do with it as well - young males playing them thinking they will get another life when driving.

I vividly remember one accident when I was young of a young female driver carrying siblings home from a house party and a group of young lads in a stolen car overtaking the oncoming car, forcing the female driver to crash straight into a tree killing all 3. The group of lads also crashed but just ended up running off, not even checking or calling for an ambulance.

One was a local lad who used to come regularly to my parents' fish and chip shop. He tragically died himself after riding on a back of his mate's moped, not wearing a helmet, when it crashed into a back of a van.

Last edited:
I'll admit to never having been a slow driver, I used to drive very quickly as a teen. But I've always maintained I was/am a safe driver. I knew my limits and never took unnecessary risks. My group of friends were all the same. I don't think any of us have even had an accident, even a minor one.

I just don't understand what goes through the minds of many of these young male drivers. How do they not understand the dangers they are putting themselves and others in when they drive so recklessly? Boggles my mind.

Yeh looking back I wasn't as careful a driver as I could have been. In fact I am glad I passed my test after 8 months of practice and driving lessons, including failing my first test.

But the stats, are undeniable now.

DVLA data, given to the BBC in response to Freedom of Information requests, showed 4,912 men aged 17 to 24 were convicted of dangerous or careless driving offences in 2023, receiving endorsement codes on their licences.

The number of convictions for women in the same age group was 549.

And 3,625 young men received penalties for drug-driving and 4,434 for drink-driving.

The figures for women were 301 and 942, respectively.

And these are just the young men who get caught and tested.

When I am out cycling and reach a junction: corner cutters. Is it that hard to turn into a road without doing so. That's why I don't filter and turn in the centre of the road like this cyclist did. Thankfully not seriously injured.

When I am out cycling and reach a junction: corner cutters. Is it that hard to turn into a road without doing so. That's why I don't filter and turn in the centre of the road like this cyclist did. Thankfully not seriously injured.

This really annoys me too. Imo it's just another example of drivers being oblivious to other road users needs.

A polarising issue is seems. But 13% of local respondents responded? This is sign of apathy in local politics.

Personally I am in favour of more in my neighbourhood. Too many side roads which drivers just use to cut through rather than just access to their street they live on. The state of the roads are a disgrace.

Drivers who open their door without looking. I had to shout "Dutch reach" at him as I had to take a wide berth.

No further action? I suppose the cost of wrecking his Ferrari and the insurance premium next year will have taught the driver a lesson.

Another example of 14 years of lack of investment by this Tory Government. Like with any repairs and maintenance if you don't keep on top of it it just builds up and becomes too widespread. Where was all this funding over the last 14 years?

Last edited:

Sadly it ended up with the drink driver killing someone, which begs the question why didn't the police stop him sooner?

Latest posts