• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RU and RL could they merge one day

Supposedly the Union types want to turn the Heiniken Cup final into an experience like the almost festival like RL Challenge Cup final. How many more things do they have to copy?

Originally posted by shiznit+Sep 8 2004, 02:39 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shiznit @ Sep 8 2004, 02:39 AM)</div>
Originally posted by wigan_rlfc@Sep 8 2004, 06:11 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-DonBilly
@Sep 7 2004, 03:16 PM
Do you think that the RL players would agree with introduction of scrumaging and lineouts?

They wouldn't be wanted as after all rugby league is the greatest game and a perfect sport.
its far from perfect. and believe me.... ive watched my fair share of RL and RU.
infact it was RL that got me interested in RU.
if the 2 are on at the same time ill usually watch the league, its alot faster and shows more attacking skills.
unless ofcourse the ab's are on.
as for merging them....
i think there will come a day when it will happen.
not the original forms of it but the 7's form of it.
id like to see a hybrid game of 7's union/league that could be put into the olympic games.
that way you could have the likes of darren lockeyer up against daniel carter. [/b]
I read somewhere that the RL world 7's will be replaced by a RL Hong Kong 7's. Does anybody know if there is any truth in this?

Originally posted by wigan_rlfc@Sep 9 2004, 04:09 AM
Supposedly the Union types want to turn the Heiniken Cup final into an experience like the almost festival like RL Challenge Cup final. How many more things do they have to copy?
The RFL devises, the RFU copies.

Always been the case.

Originally posted by wigan_rlfc@Sep 7 2004, 10:11 PM
The rah-rahs would want their own was so it woud just be union rules.

I can't really see any chance of the two codes merging they have grown into two seperate sports, and really, what woujld be the point in merging them together?
Surely one of the reasons the two sports will never merge is because of stereotypical comments like that. I'll admit that I don't enjoy League as much as Union, but I don't go around just slagging it off, because I can see its merits.

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby@Sep 9 2004, 06:59 AM
Surely one of the reasons the two sports will never merge is because of stereotypical comments like that.
Learn the history and you'll understand why we hate English rugby union so much.

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby+Sep 8 2004, 07:59 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintsFan_Webby @ Sep 8 2004, 07:59 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-wigan_rlfc
@Sep 7 2004, 10:11 PM

I can't really see any chance of the two codes merging they have grown into two seperate sports, and really, what woujld be the point in merging them together?
Surely one of the reasons the two sports will never merge is because of stereotypical comments like that. I'll admit that I don't enjoy League as much as Union, but I don't go around just slagging it off, because I can see its merits. [/b]
What have I said now to offend, or did you not know that the heads of Union are rah-rahs?

Originally posted by St_Helens_RLFC@Sep 9 2004, 04:02 AM
No - RL will continue to improve whereas RU will always be catching up in the departments you mentioned.
I said 5 years because I see more people playing RU than RL, I see also more money in RU than in RL so more means and the sportmen with potential to become a professional player should logically go toward Union.

Based on that and seeing the progress made in Union I ended up with this 5 years, this can be less or more. The point is that league is played at high level in two countries.

Let's be clear I don't want to despise RL, and knowing some of the history of this sport I have some sympathy for it. What I like in RL is speed and players skillness (? English is not my mother tongue) but I have the feeling that Union players are not that far from League players and maybe because I'm more knowledgeable in Union than League I find Union more versatile, less stereotyped.

What do you mean there'll be more people playing RU than RL in 20 years time? Theres been more people playing RU for virtually forever

I meant that with the effort put in developping RU since professionalism was adopted I think that RU players will be at least as fit and skilfull as the NRL players.

Originally posted by DonBilly@Sep 9 2004, 07:05 PM
(? English is not my mother tongue)
You could have fooled me. My congratulations because you're English is excellent.

Originally posted by wigan_rlfc+Sep 9 2004, 08:42 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wigan_rlfc @ Sep 9 2004, 08:42 AM)</div>
Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby@Sep 8 2004, 07:59 PM

Surely one of the reasons the two sports will never merge is because of stereotypical comments like that. I'll admit that I don't enjoy League as much as Union, but I don't go around just slagging it off, because I can see its merits.
What have I said now to offend, or did you not know that the heads of Union are rah-rahs? [/b]
That's like me saying the organisers of League are a bunch of ferret-keeping uneducated coal-miners. I'm not saying that, I'm just trying to find an equivilent comparison.

I don't think they are ferret keepers, or indeed coal miners, but I suspect they are SEVERELY uneducated..........

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby+Sep 9 2004, 04:24 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintsFan_Webby @ Sep 9 2004, 04:24 PM)</div>
Originally posted by wigan_rlfc@Sep 9 2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby@Sep 8 2004, 07:59 PM

What have I said now to offend, or did you not know that the heads of Union are rah-rahs?
That's like me saying the organisers of League are a bunch of ferret-keeping uneducated coal-miners. I'm not saying that, I'm just trying to find an equivilent comparison. [/b]
I want a ferret.

Doubt they are colliers, most of the pits are now shut.

Well You're wrong anyway, the head of the RFL is a member of the landed gentry, Lord Derby.

I guess this Lord Derby is the grand son of the Loard Derby who headed the RFL at its beignning and who offered to the French RL the trophee used for the RL cup in France.

the RLIF is a joke.
they should sack the lot of them. they never stand up to the club competitions. im sick to death of International Rugby League getting shafted for club and interstate competition.

maybe one day if the RLIF decide to grow some balls and stick up for the international game then maybe we will see some real progress in the sport.

Latest posts