• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RU and RL could they merge one day

Originally posted by Geoff+Sep 21 2004, 01:36 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Geoff @ Sep 21 2004, 01:36 PM)</div>
Originally posted by DonBilly@Sep 17 2004, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Ripper@Sep 17 2004, 07:31 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-DonBilly
@Sep 16 2004, 09:39 PM
I guess the Queen doesn't care since her people have won the Rugby Union World Cup 4 times out of 5 and regarding Rugby League I guess it never escaperd to her people (either in GB or in Oz).

England have only won the RWC Once...

As far as I know Elizabeth II is queen of UK but also of countries like Canada, Australia and New-Zealand... So in principles the only time her people didn't win RWC was in 1995 when the Bokes won it.
Isn't South Africa part of the Commenwealth too? Or I at least thought that they compete in the Commenwealth Games. [/b]
SA is a republic and they have a president as head of the state. Nelson Mandela (the official Bokes luck provider
<
) was the first president after the aparteid era.

Canada, Australia and N-Z. are not republics and have Queen Elizabeth II as head of the state.

And do you think anyone in those countries would care if the Queen took suddenly died?

Even the Poms think the Queen and her family is nothing more than a badly beaten Sitcom in a reality setting

Originally posted by Ripper@Sep 25 2004, 07:21 AM
And do you think anyone in those countries would care if the Queen took suddenly died?

Even the Poms think the Queen and her family is nothing more than a badly beaten Sitcom in a reality setting
Ripper, this is not the point. My comments were factual.

I can understand you don't care about the Queen although I think in Australia they had a referndum in 1999 about that and the aussies prefered to keep the Queen.

As you may know in France we have an elected president, we found our kings and queen were too tall and try to solve that...
<

Anyway... I guess on the RL front once the NRL and SRL are complete the big issue will be the Tri Nation. But why on earth the dates of these Tri Nations do overlap with the RU November Tours?

Originally posted by Ripper@Sep 24 2004, 07:21 PM

Are you English?

No! So don't try and be the "pommy" voice when you don't know what you're talking about.

Sure, some people may not like the monarchy, and may not be the Queen's number one fan, but not all of us think that way. I personally have a lot of pride in my country, and see the Queen as a very important figurehead. She isn't perfect but who the hell is? And with the **** she gets from people around the world I think she does remarkably well in performing her duties.

Don't go speaking for me and other English people who don't all agree with the press.

<

Blame Sky News UK, They had a poll which showed the majority wanted the royal family gone

Originally posted by Ripper@Sep 27 2004, 07:06 PM
Blame Sky News UK, They had a poll which showed the majority wanted the royal family gone
The majority of who?

All the people who happend to be watching Sky News at the time?

I think you will find that doesn't speak for everyone.

Remember, don't believe everything you see on TV.

Originally posted by DonBilly+Sep 27 2004, 04:52 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Sep 27 2004, 04:52 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Ripper
@Sep 25 2004, 07:21 AM

I can understand you don't care about the Queen although I think in Australia they had a referndum in 1999 about that and the aussies prefered to keep the Queen.

As you may know in France we have an elected president, we found our kings and queen were too tall and try to solve that...
<

Anyway... I guess on the RL front once the NRL and SRL are complete the big issue will be the Tri Nation. But why on earth the dates of these Tri Nations do overlap with the RU November Tours? [/b]
Whats wrong with them overlapping? One of the Ashes tests last year was on the same day as the RUWC final.

Originally posted by wigan_rlfc+Oct 5 2004, 06:15 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wigan_rlfc @ Oct 5 2004, 06:15 AM)</div>
Originally posted by DonBilly@Sep 27 2004, 04:52 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Ripper

<

Anyway... I guess on the RL front once the NRL and SRL are complete the big issue will be the Tri Nation. But why on earth the dates of these Tri Nations do overlap with the RU November Tours?
Whats wrong with them overlapping? One of the Ashes tests last year was on the same day as the RUWC final. [/b]
I'll be in the stadium to attend November tests in France and I won't be able to be at the pub to watch the RL Tri-Nations which won't be broadcasted on French TV.

Originally posted by DonBilly+Oct 13 2004, 08:34 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Oct 13 2004, 08:34 AM)</div>
Originally posted by wigan_rlfc@Oct 5 2004, 06:15 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Ripper

<

Whats wrong with them overlapping? One of the Ashes tests last year was on the same day as the RUWC final.
I'll be in the stadium to attend November tests in France and I won't be able to be at the pub to watch the RL Tri-Nations which won't be broadcasted on French TV. [/b]
Is it true that French TV won't broadcast RL because of a massive brawl a number of years ago?

Originally posted by wigan_rlfc+Oct 5 2004, 06:15 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wigan_rlfc @ Oct 5 2004, 06:15 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Ripper

<

Whats wrong with them overlapping? One of the Ashes tests last year was on the same day as the RUWC final. [/b]
Theres no such thing as the RUWC...

Originally posted by wigan_rlfc+Oct 14 2004, 03:16 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wigan_rlfc @ Oct 14 2004, 03:16 AM)</div>
Originally posted by DonBilly@Oct 13 2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by wigan_rlfc@Oct 5 2004, 06:15 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Ripper

<

I'll be in the stadium to attend November tests in France and I won't be able to be at the pub to watch the RL Tri-Nations which won't be broadcasted on French TV.
Is it true that French TV won't broadcast RL because of a massive brawl a number of years ago? [/b]
Well more than 20 years ago the final of the French Championship was interrupted 6 minutes after the start because the game was more like two gangs fighting for turf control than sport or even RL.

This was the last time as far as I know that a RL match was broadcasted live on the regular TV channel.

Furthermore there's no News Corp affiliated channel available in France since Murdock & co control most of the TV rights of NRL and SRL you have to go to either an English or Irish pub (through a cousin they manage to get a Sky chipcard)to watch international RL.

We can get some French championship matchs on cable TV (Sport+) but nodirect live anyway.

The RL popularity is very low in France although it used to be in the 50's & 60's almost as popular as RU.

So there's almost no news available on the next Tri-Nations or last Ashes... If in addition of that these matchs are organized in parallel of big RU tests there's no better way to ensure that they won't be covered at all here by the newsmedia.

Latest posts