• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RU and RL could they merge one day

ARL are also idiots... why the f*** would you choose Kerry Packer over Rupert Murdoch?

Because they wanted the ARU to have more money. While we are on that subject, will News Ltd cough up the same amount of money for Sanzar as last time? It seems doubtful. Our fourth Super 14 team will probably end up costing us more than it will make, but atleast it will do the game good. The ARU need to sell the rights to Channel 7. But is 7 owned by Packer or Murdoch?

if we get 280 odd Million we will have gotten the same amount as last time, the contract is only 5 years this time around

It's unlikely we'll get the same kind of money this time. Well Australia anyway, I don't know about South Africa or New Zealand.

Originally posted by DonBilly@Sep 10 2004, 03:31 PM
I guess this Lord Derby is the grand son of the Loard Derby who headed the RFL at its beignning and who offered to the French RL the trophee used for the RL cup in France.
Well I don't know the exact relationship but it is definatley the same family. When you become Lord Derby you become head of the RFL. Lord Derby was also very important in the history of my school (I don't know how exactly though).

Originally posted by wigan_rlfc+Sep 12 2004, 12:51 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wigan_rlfc @ Sep 12 2004, 12:51 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-DonBilly
@Sep 10 2004, 03:31 PM
I guess this Lord Derby is the grand son of the Loard Derby who headed the RFL at its  beignning and who offered to the French RL the trophee used for the RL cup in France.
Well I don't know the exact relationship but it is definatley the same family. When you become Lord Derby you become head of the RFL. Lord Derby was also very important in the history of my school (I don't know how exactly though). [/b]
RFL is a monarchy-like organization then... I used to think that it was more working-class oriented than the RFU...

Originally posted by DonBilly+Sep 14 2004, 01:56 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Sep 14 2004, 01:56 PM)</div>
Originally posted by wigan_rlfc@Sep 12 2004, 12:51 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-DonBilly
@Sep 10 2004, 03:31 PM
I guess this Lord Derby is the grand son of the Loard Derby who headed the RFL at its  beignning and who offered to the French RL the trophee used for the RL cup in France.

Well I don't know the exact relationship but it is definatley the same family. When you become Lord Derby you become head of the RFL. Lord Derby was also very important in the history of my school (I don't know how exactly though).
I used to think that it was more working-class oriented than the RFU... [/b]
It is.

By the sound of things, the only way the RFL could be more working-class orientated than the RFU was if the Queen was heading up the Union game.

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby@Sep 14 2004, 08:27 PM
By the sound of things, the only way the RFL could be more working-class orientated than the RFU was if the Queen was heading up the Union game.
Not really, the Presidency of the RFL was bestowed on Lord Derby as a gift really.

And about the Queen. Princess Anne is the head of the Scottish RFU.

I guess the Queen doesn't care since her people have won the Rugby Union World Cup 4 times out of 5 and regarding Rugby League I guess it never escaperd to her people (either in GB or in Oz).

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC+Sep 9 2004, 08:29 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Sep 9 2004, 08:29 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-SaintsFan_Webby
@Sep 9 2004, 06:59 AM

Surely one of the reasons the two sports will never merge is because of stereotypical comments like that.
Learn the history and you'll understand why we hate English rugby union so much. [/b]
Apologies for joining in late.

I understand the animosity that the history has bred, but will it ever be consigned to that: history. With players swapping codes and expressing their love for both, these look like steps to me towards an inevitable future where the codes very well might unite. But that ain't gonna happen any time soon, courtesy of the fans on both sides.

This is sport, so I understand that people take it a bit more seriously than most other things. Methinks you'd sooner holiday in Germany than go to Twickenham for a Union match.

Anywho, maybe in 2095 we'll see The Great Merge, who knows?

Originally posted by DonBilly@Sep 16 2004, 09:39 PM
I guess the Queen doesn't care since her people have won the Rugby Union World Cup 4 times out of 5 and regarding Rugby League I guess it never escaperd to her people (either in GB or in Oz).
England have only won the RWC Once...

Originally posted by Ripper+Sep 17 2004, 07:31 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ripper @ Sep 17 2004, 07:31 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-DonBilly
@Sep 16 2004, 09:39 PM
England have only won the RWC Once... [/b]
As far as I know Elizabeth II is queen of UK but also of countries like Canada, Australia and New-Zealand... So in principles the only time her people didn't win RWC was in 1995 when the Bokes won it.

Originally posted by Ripper@Sep 17 2004, 08:11 PM
Dont say that around Wally...
<

Originally posted by DonBilly+Sep 17 2004, 01:08 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Sep 17 2004, 01:08 AM)</div>
Originally posted by Ripper@Sep 17 2004, 07:31 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-DonBilly

As far as I know Elizabeth II is queen of UK but also of countries like Canada, Australia and New-Zealand... So in principles the only time her people didn't win RWC was in 1995 when the Bokes won it. [/b]
Isn't South Africa part of the Commenwealth too? Or I at least thought that they compete in the Commenwealth Games.

Originally posted by Geoff+Sep 21 2004, 02:36 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Geoff @ Sep 21 2004, 02:36 AM)</div>
Originally posted by DonBilly@Sep 17 2004, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Ripper@Sep 17 2004, 07:31 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-DonBilly

As far as I know Elizabeth II is queen of UK but also of countries like Canada, Australia and New-Zealand... So in principles the only time her people didn't win RWC was in 1995 when the Bokes won it.
Isn't South Africa part of the Commenwealth too? Or I at least thought that they compete in the Commenwealth Games. [/b]
I think they withdrew in the 50's or something so that they could have their apartheid system.

Latest posts