• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 07 wishlist

Alll righty. Only skimmed through this thread so there will probably be quite a lot of repititions but ah well...

1. The ability to choose whether to offload left or right.

2. When you are tackled when trying to kick it shouldn't be an instant knock on, makes it quite tricky to pull off grubbers.

3. Improved ball characteristics.

4. Visible touch judges and stuff.

5. A good video ref system.

6. Varying crowds. The size of the crowds should depend on the teams playing and recent performances and other stuff like that. In career mode this should affect your income.

7. More illegal tackles, with appropiate penalties. ie You could kind of say there are already illegal tackles in the game, but they're not penalized. eg Late tackles.

Meah. Not feeling very imaginative today.

For me only two things:

1) A decent editor that onlys you to create decent players, modify existing players, create new leagues and new teams. I don't care about creating new stadiums - most stadium editors are pretty lame.

2) Greater variety of tactics and strategies - every team that you play against plays exactly the same. Yawn!

Other stuff would be nice but if they do the above I will be happy.

what would be cool to have in the next EA sports Rugby game is :

- 'Impact player' to be added to some locks and props, like an impact prop would make the opposite scrum struggle a bit or so, and an 'impact' lineout jumper would be able to steal balls, etc...

- xtra teams, and also ... 'classics' team would be cool, like '1995's All Blacks' with their old jerseys and Monster's Lomu at 11 B)
or some classics players, like Campese, Andrews, Blanco, Underwood, ....etc

- another thing i thought about would be controls in the game, i'd find it really cooooooool if when you've just tackled an opposite player, you could 'switch' to another one of your player.... (...i.e a flanker :rolleyes: ) and while the opposite ball carier is being tackled, you could 'add' your flanker or another player, in order to do a 'massive' tackle that would almost force a turnaround or so...

what do you think ?

am i watching to much rugby league ? :blink:

I recommend for rugby 2007 - they dump the current programming code and start again focusing on a less scripting and more responsive/interactive/flexible game engine which creates the 'I can do anything' feel that PES5 attempts to acheive.

The way rugby is currently being developed it will NEVER be a great game. It doesn't matter how well you build a house, if its built on sand its always gonna be floored.

Originally posted by jimmy44@Jun 2 2006, 04:48 AM
I recommend for rugby 2007 - they dump the current programming code and start again focusing on a less scripting and more responsive/interactive/flexible game engine which creates the 'I can do anything' feel that PES5 attempts to acheive.

The way rugby is currently being developed it will NEVER be a great game. It doesn't matter how well you build a house, if its built on sand its always gonna be floored.
Completely agree. I made a post at the ea site that I can't find that was about five billion words, and you just summed it up in 50.

Oh well.

What I said in the post over at that shithole was basically starting from scratch. You see in FPS and the like thinks like impact animations and ragdoll physics. Basically, hit someone in a specific area and they react to where you hit them. Shoot someone in the leg and they will collapse around that. Basically, in a rugby game they need to remove those animations and create a physics engine where the animations happen based on how you hit someone. Make it entirely based around calculations of the hit rather than just a tackle animation. That way we'd see two man tackles, more variety in tackles and a lot more strategy involved.

Same applies for attack aswell.

f*** it, I can't be bothered typing. I'll copy over from the other place...

Someone posted some shots and videos of an NFL phisics engine that reacted similar to ragdoll. I think that belonged to EA also.

Originally posted by kaftka+Jun 2 2006, 02:00 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-jimmy44
@Jun 2 2006, 04:48 AM
I recommend for rugby 2007 - they dump the current programming code and start again focusing on a less scripting and more responsive/interactive/flexible game engine which creates the 'I can do anything'  feel that PES5 attempts to acheive.

Completely agree. I made a post at the ea site that I can't find that was about five billion words, and you just summed it up in 50.

Oh well.

What I said in the post over at that shithole was basically starting from scratch. You see in FPS and the like thinks like impact animations and ragdoll physics. Basically, hit someone in a specific area and they react to where you hit them. Shoot someone in the leg and they will collapse around that. Basically, in a rugby game they need to remove those animations and create a physics engine where the animations happen based on how you hit someone. Make it entirely based around calculations of the hit rather than just a tackle animation. That way we'd see two man tackles, more variety in tackles and a lot more strategy involved.

f*** it, I can't be bothered typing. I'll copy over from the other place... [/b]
Totally agree!

A bit like in JLR when the way you tackled someone would often vary....ok so it was limited in a way but sometimes you would get some great dynamics happening.....like when soneone was hooting it for the corner and you came across and tackled them out....the way how the body 90 degrees....fantastic!!!

to give 06 some credit, if you had a player who did have a tackling star, or generally good tackling skills, you could pull off some good hits, but its all got to do with timing and at what angle you tackle them at.

Originally posted by kaftka+Jun 2 2006, 02:00 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-jimmy44
I recommend for rugby 2007 - they dump the current programming code and start again focusing on a less scripting and more responsive/interactive/flexible game engine which creates the 'I can do anything'  feel that PES5 attempts to acheive.

Oh well.

f*** it, I can't be bothered typing. I'll copy over from the other place... [/b]
Yup thats exactly what I'm talking about - scripting or motion capture whatever you want to call it is the deathnell to a sports game, and the sole cause for sports games becoming 'repetitive'. If they could introduce a 'ragdoll' type code, as you say, perhaps similar to that used in fightnight, then after a few years development we could be seeing a truely outstanding rugby game.

However, I fear we'll never see this because remember, EA's remit is to make money, not to create the definitive sports game. If they did, no one would bother forking out another 30 quid to buy next years version!

Scripting is also a far easier way to program a sports game, taking less time and money to implement. Its unlikely to be replaced for a more expensive and time consuming code that isn't going to make the company any more money!

I recommend a competitor takes on the 'rag doll' technology, and use it as their USP against EA.

Originally posted by jimmy44+Jun 2 2006, 08:35 PM-->
Originally posted by kaftka@Jun 2 2006, 02:00 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-jimmy44

Oh well.

f*** it, I can't be bothered typing. I'll copy over from the other place...
Yup thats exactly what I'm talking about - scripting or motion capture whatever you want to call it is the deathnell to a sports game, and the sole cause for sports games becoming 'repetitive'. If they could introduce a 'ragdoll' type code, as you say, perhaps similar to that used in fightnight, then after a few years development we could be seeing a truely outstanding rugby game.

However, I fear we'll never see this because remember, EA's remit is to make money, not to create the definitive sports game. If they did, no one would bother forking out another 30 quid to buy next years version!

Scripting is also a far easier way to program a sports game, taking less time and money to implement. Its unlikely to be replaced for a more expensive and time consuming code that isn't going to make the company any more money!

I recommend a competitor takes on the 'rag doll' technology, and use it as their USP against EA. [/b]
Here's exactly what I want.... And exactly what we'll never see.

Okay, heres what I want to see.

I would like to see the entire physics engine redone for the next generation rugby ***le.
In games like FPS and the like, you can shoot someone in the shoulder and they way they react is that their shoulder goes flying back first. True to life I mean. If you have a look at a video of Spore, you can see there is a lot of calculation involved in that game. Just the way your character moves. They've developed a system where the game calculates exactly how the character would move if it was real life. Lets say a certain character in Spore was a bit too top-heavy. They will be almost teetering over when turning corners, and they have short, sharp steps. Its a very intellegint system.
Back to the first point about FPS... In the latest games, you see ragdoll physics which is the norm these days, and in the more intellegent systems, rather than having just an animation, when they get hit on a certain part of theur body, the rest of the body reacts as if that part was hit in real life. I'm no programmer, but I am certain that a simplified version of the two examples above would work beautifully in a rugby game.

I'll start with tackling...
There are big hits in Rugby 06. It's pretty cool. I like they way you can just run into a player for a safe tackle just to bring them down, or you can press the dive takle button to make sure you put them to bed. What I don't like however, are **** animations playing out the story for us.
What would be fricking sweet, is that if you could do a dive tackle where the collision would determine how the tackle plays out.If you throw Jerry Collins at Shane Williams for example, both run full tilt, then Jerry will flatten him. The game engine will determine the weight ratio, and the momentum, and that will decide how big a hit that is. After that, the game engine won't choose a tackle animation like it does now, but it will 'create' the animation on the fly and that will show how hard the hit is, and how they fall to the ground. Thats a very basic explanation of what I would like to see.

Also, if somebody sidesteps you, rather than having the annoying animation kicking in, you can choose which way to go to tackle by using the thumbstick. If you get it wrong, you get it wrong. Penalty shootout type stuff.

On the other hand, in the running and such of the ball, I would like to see weight play a factor in this as well. What I would like (please note, all controls will be in Xbox 360 format) is for the right thumbstick to be the weight balance stick (but with a flashier name Laughing ) where whichever direction you push the stick, that is the direction you would shift your weight. eg. If you are running the ball with Jerry Collins and you are running on a slight diagonal, there is a player you want to bump off, you would shift the stick towards the player and you will throw the wieght towards that player to make his tackle harder to execute. It's pretty similar to the Truck stick in Madden, but a bit deeper.
Also, to do sidesteps and such, it would be cool to hold in the left trigger (currently unused on attack) and then use the right thumbstick to do little jinks and shimmys and steps in any direction you wnat. (directly backwards of course being the infamous campese goosestep Very Happy ) This could prove fending to be a bit of a problem. Perhaps if you click it in then you can fend, and that way you canmbine a lot of them together. Can you imagine bursting through a gap with Ma'a Nonu with a big pushover, then tearing down the middle of the field, stepping the full back and stiffarming him at the same time for good measure, and finishing off with a montrous goosestep of the attemped ankletap from the winger... That would be sweet.

All in all I want a realistic game. The above I mentioned are just some of the things I;d like to see to help take away many of the limitations this game has.
If that was all done, it would add a heck of a lot of longevity to the game. That sort of control would make it exceed Pro Evo for me.

Easier things I'd like to see fixed are, more realistic player stats in World League (35 penalties? 0 tries? 0 conversions?......Joe Rokocoko with 8 drop goals?)

The dumping of world league for a career mode.

A player editor and decent player creater.

A much much more!![/b]

yes please, an extra difficulty setting, on hard i still managed to 40 pointer the all blacks. Also, why does the game make it sooooo obvious when the game wants to score? Even though they have no space, they still manage to offload, and even if they are out numbered at the breakdown they will never conceed a turn over, also just yesterday, a player broke through 4 tackles to get a try, making it look so stupid in the process.

Latest posts