• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 07 wishlist

They need to make it more momentum based, like Madden. Currently, you can almost turn on a 6 pence, running full tilt one way and then suddenly switching direction completely on the spot. This really bugs in multiplay, making it well arcadey.

Not just for the ball carrier aswell, but for the defenders, to make timing tackles more important. Conversley, an attacker going flat out will have more momentum and thus more chance of breaking the tackle.

Hand offs - why can't you do these to a defender coming from the side ? Only seem to work against a head on tackler, that sucks and is unrealistic, coz in practice most hand offs (fends) seem to be made against tacklers coming in from the side.

Shoulder charges - do they ever work ?

Get rid of the "warp tackle" animation - maybe keep the "big hit/dive tackle", but like in madden, if you miss time it then you end up on your arse, so that the "normal" tackle will just be moving into the ball carrier.

Finally, the general animation problem is pretty bad, awful when compared to NFL games or PES. They REALLY need to sort that for next year.

Originally posted by 187@Apr 4 2006, 04:57 PM
do different players affect how a backline plays already? i don't really notice it, they should make it more noticeable. say like if u have crash n bash centres the outside backs and forwards run closely off their shoulders and if their distributors they support from a lil farther away.
Absolutely.....

...especially in defence

....puit Mils in as a centre for the Chiefs and the line numbers will be better organised than having Ranby there....you will find that different centres affect the defensive alignment of a team significantly......just putting a fast winger as a centre can leave you with strange holes on defence....as well as him giving bad psses when on attack.....if he can even get the pass away at all.

EA Rugby need to take a look at FIFA 06 - certain things in this game are spot on - these are all cosmetic apart from one thing with will effect gameplay.

** For a start the number of teams and leagues are huge in FIFA - if there were a similar number in Rugby 06 we'd have the English Prem & Div 1, French league, CL plus Welsh, Scot and Irish Leagues, Super 14 plus NPC and maybe the SA leagues. As well as HC and Powergen (as these use duplicate teams!).

** They also have the career mode sorted out a lot better - ok it isn't perfect but it is very good. I'd like to see the ability to have staff (backs coach, forwards coach, defense coach, fitness coach, physio, amademy manager, scout and maybe marketing manager) these could then all have different levels and your players starting stats alter accordingly. Obviously you could then scout for young players from different continents. Also at the end of each season maybe you could be offered a number of academy players that you could sign thus saving the need to spend on scouting. It might also be possible to use these players as injury cover through the season too? Also players age and retire.

You'd get to choose from different sponsers at the start of each season - these would give you £x for a win, draw etc plus cup and league bonuses. However you would gain prestige as a coach as you go from season to season and your sponsership offers depend upon your prestige - so whilst you could choose to start with Toulouse you'd soon go bankrupt as your starting prestige wouldn't give you enough sponsership to support the team. You'd have to wait until you were on the highest prestige level to coach/manage them.

Finally you'd get the option to manage an international team but to ensure enough playability you'd do it alongside your club. You could then have 6N, Tri Nations, World Cup etc and with new players coming along and some retiring you may not pick the same XV as you would today.

** The final and maybe best point about FIFA 06 is the team chemistry bar. A team with a chemistry of 99 will play better than one with 50 even if the individual players are worse. So improving chemistry through the seasons is key by making sure the whole squad is involved, players play in position, training, better coaches etc. With improved team chemistry then come less turnovers, better defensive organisation, better success of set plays, better lineout/scrums etc.

Obviously previously mentioned tweaks to gameplay also need to happen but I think the above changes would make the game a lot more enjoyable especially in career mode. Oh and overall the game should be made a lot harder - but not in a harder to gain possession way just a harder to split the defence and make ground way!

Sorry to repeat what has been said already, but meh.

Stat fixes, or at least the ability to edit stats ourselves. They really bug me, especially the wierd world league stats.... Nonu should not have 42 dropgoals in a season..... he really really really shouldnt...

More maul options: As has been said already, mauls dont occur that often, but perhaps when you pick and go off the back of a ruck a maul animation could start if there were players in support.

Better push over tries from lineouts, they just look weak to me. It looks far too orderly (more like a scrum), generally when tries are scored from mauls particuarly it ends up looking messy, with players binding, leaving and re binding, changing direction of the maul etc.

Gang tackles around the ruck area, I have only seen one animation of a two man tackle.

Anyone else hate the cut out passes? They need to be more effective imo, on the flipside cutout passes should be susceptible to interception, I dont think there has been a single league or union game that has included realistic interceptions. I think its time someone got it right. Interceptions should occur more in open play and with space to run.

I liked the idea someone raised about more types of Star Players- ie, club star players and international star players. Someone like Ma'a Nonu or lome fa'atau should be a star player for the hurricanes for example but not at international level.

Stats development over time. I would like to be able to turn favourites like Zwicker into superstars, that way you wouldnt end up with a completely new team by the time you have finished signing players.

Better unlockables and more unlockables. I really think they skimped out here. More teams, classic jerseys etc. Id also like to see a classic match mode like RPIC (i think its in RC as well)

Faster players should be able to gas around the fullback instead of stepping or bumping him off.

More set play options. Id like there to be twice or three times as many set plays available. Perhaps they could be context sensative, ie certain set plays from rucks, lineouts, scrums. Or having 8 available at all times, with single presses for one set of plays and double presses for another.

An addition to world league.
I would like the ability to play a comp ie S14, have some players (based on stats and stat improvement) picked for an All Blacks Trial. Then select a squad to play the international season. Including a WC every four years, lions tour when appropriate etc. The ability to sim matches would also be nice.

Star players should change over time, based on form etc. If carter got injured for the ABS and i replaced him with McAllister (for some reason or another) and McAllister performed very well, Carters form should drop on the sidelines and he should no longer be a star player at international level. That way there could be a capped amount of star players, so there wouldnt be a rediculous amount of star players in one team.

Thats all i got for now.

Originally posted by BOKean@Apr 10 2006, 07:39 PM
NO BUNCHING UP!!!!!

THIS ISNT UNDER 8s EA SPORTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are we playing the same game????? :eek:

Someone like Ma'a Nonu or lome fa'atau should be a star player for the hurricanes for example but not at international level[/b]

Good idea except Nonu is good enough to be a star player at international level

"Its danger time with Ma'a Nonu". LOL.
I think he performs better off the bench (in his white boots).
Put him at no. 12, break through the midfield, draw in the fullback and offload for the try.

Originally posted by I cant think of a username@Apr 10 2006, 09:31 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Someone like Ma'a Nonu or lome fa'atau should be a star player for the hurricanes for example but not at international level

Good idea except Nonu is good enough to be a star player at international level [/b][/quote]
I agree he is good enough, but currently he is not a star at international level. Id like to see him get some decent game time for the ABS this season.

Chris Latham is the ultimate club star player but not international. he is good there but doesnt influence a game the same way.

just started playing it again more last night and i noticed they need to fix there scrums

when the scrum half goes back for the ball he throws it out with his right hand sometimes, it should be the left hand every time..

also at rucks make it so any player can pick it up and go, say you have a foreward and a wing out on the one side, the wing goes down and its just a foreward with no other defense around, make it so he can pick it up and run it.

Custom set plays would be an awesome addition to Rugby 07.
Online play is also a must. ;) :)

Welshy,

I read your points about FIFA 2006 and the comparison between the manager modes.

I personally don't rate FIFA '06's manager mode.

I think that it is crap.

I also think that everyone is barking up the wrong trees when they suggest some of the things to improve on the rugby game.

If you want a rugby game that allows you to manage a team you should look at a rugby management game.

Trying to put together a rugby game that balances good action on the pitch and an in-depth management mode is a pipe-dream.

There hasn't been a football game that has got it right yet and I doubt that EA are going to sink huge amounts of money to get it right for rugby.

I want them to get the on-field stuff right before they start looking at making an awesome manager mode.

Big Ten,

If you read my post it does say at the start that I'm not going to make suggestions for the in game play itself as that's been covered.

I'm also not asking for a management game - I was merely suggesting ways of making the 'World League' which is currently extremely poor more interesting. At the moment it's basically only a challenge until you get through the first couple of seasons (if even then!) and then becomes easy once you can get some key players.

You may not rate the FIFA management mode but I think it actually creates a nice change from just one off seasons - something Rugby doesn't get close to - you shouldn't judge FIFA's management mode as a management game as such as that's not what it's trying to be and I think you've missed the point if you think it is. It is simply something to make the monotany of playing a one off league more interesting! Just because I want an expanded career mode doesn't mean I want a management sim either - I can't think of too many of those that let you play with the team you've created!!

I agree the gamplay comes first but as that had been covered I thought I'd post something new rather than repeat what everyone else has said. After all I'm fairly sure the ***le of this thread wasn't 'Things 07 needs to fix first!!'

What about an extra difficulty setting? so many people find this game too easy.

Originally posted by stormmaster1@Apr 18 2006, 09:18 PM
What about an extra difficulty setting? so many people find this game too easy.
good point there! :bravo:

EA need to completely revamp their concept of difficulty settings. At the minute, their only way of making the difficulty harder is to make the opposition faster, making them rush your FH before he's had a chance to do anything and increasing the number of turnovers from your side to theirs. Very rarely do I ever get a turnover onto my side, and it's even worse with lineouts and scrums!

yes i agree they to revamp there levels of difficulty as at the moment they have just made the opposition faster to run rings around you and can fend better and your team i think that was a good point

Latest posts