• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 2001

beefy

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Leeds
  • Just purchased an old pc disc of rugby 2001.I know this is a golden oldie and why should you play this old ***le but my nostalgic tendencies took over lol:lol:Anyway to my point I have tried to install the game on my laptop(vista 32bit os)and the game does not want to install.It brings up the install wizard shield,goes as far as 99% then hangs and cuts off.I have tried it in compatability modes(win 98 & xp)with admin mode but still no way no joy.Any help and advice on how to install(if any?)would be great!!!
Thanks in advance-Respect Beefy

Step 1: Dump Vista. If it means doing all your work via an abacus, so be it.

Step 2: If you are really desperate, 'acquire' yourself a copy of Windows 2000/ Millenium and create a partition to play it on. If you can't get the OS on a disc, and only by an ISO file, download a programme called VMware (there is a free home/ learning use edition) This allows you to create a virtual PC within yours, without potentially mucking up anything important. Thee should be a read me that will guide you step by step how to install the OS, and then Bob's your mother, a 'new' pc that boots up at the double click of a button, that can play old games hassle free of Vista/ 7 incompatibility.

It's simpler than winning a game of solitaire, and depending on your connection, could be quicker too.

P.S. I use VMware to install a copy of Vista, then systematically destroy it. It's bundles of fun. :)

Thanks LordHope for your reply with advice:)I have come across the vMware before but not yet decided to set up as yet:eek:Will consider it though!!Yes and vista is and as been trouble ever since I have had it.Always fighting with the thing;)Thanks again sir!!

I installed Rugby 2001 on 64-bit Vista no problem. the game runs great, and is improved greatly through the use of the nvidia control panel application specific settings. the only problem i have is the fonts. the front end of the game appears pixely, as does the text in the game, including the scoreboard in the game. it's readable, but doesn't look that good compared to the actual graphics of the game, which look superb.

the graphics and frame rate of the game are as smooth as butta. i think this game is an excellent simulation of rugby. if only Creative Assembly could have kept working on this game and made Rugby 2002, 2003, etc. Imagine this game with better looking rucks (the ruck mechanic itself is great, and more manual and intense then any other rugby game), and offloads and stuff. even though you can't call set plays on the fly, they work well within the system of calling the set play when play is stopped.

i am currently playing a World Cup on 50% difficulty. i've had some incredibly back and forth battles on 40 minute halves. the first time through i didn't make it out of the group stages, then i got more skilled at the game and i won the group and now am in the finals. one thing i really like about the world cup in this game is the format. did you notice that group winners get a bye and the other teams have to go through a preliminary knockout round? did you notice how the best 3rd place team of a group qualifies as well? (i think that's a fun format) if i win the WC, then maybe i'll try it again on 60% or 70% difficulty. i think as you increase the difficulty, the CPU does more consecutive passes on offense. (at least that's what i noticed when i tried an exhibition game on 70%)

Latest posts