• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 2001

B

bippy

I was just plain Ea Sports Rugby 2001 and i realised what a mistake ea made last year. i think this game had a lot of potential. it was just a few things like defence was to hard and that turning around thing that sucked. but i think that they didnt have to make a whole new game for rugby 2004. if they just improved rugby 2001 i think they would be on to a real winner. i really hope rugby 2005 is much better then 2004.

what do use think?

Sorry someone move this into 'Other'

I think the main reason why the two games (2001 & 2004) differed so much was the fact that they were made by different developers. 2001 was made by Creative Assembly and 2004 by hb studios. Although 2001 had horrible graphics I think the game was highly playable. Sure it took half an hour to turn around and that superhuman diving ankle tap was soo frustrating, I played the game a crap load of times despite these flaws. I think also why the graphics weren't up to high standards was the fact that (on the PS2 at least) the game was originally designed for release on the PS1. I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere a while back.

As for this years release, bring it on surely it wont end up like last years debacle, and from the gameplay vids shown here it shouldn't be close.

Originally posted by bippy@Feb 13 2005, 01:42 PM
I was just plain Ea Sports Rugby 2001 and i realised what a mistake ea made last year. i think this game had a lot of potential. it was just a few things like defence was to hard and that turning around thing that sucked. but i think that they didnt have to make a whole new game for rugby 2004. if they just improved rugby 2001 i think they would be on to a real winner. i really hope rugby 2005 is much better then 2004.

what do use think?

Sorry someone move this into 'Other'
I totally agree! Creative assembly should never have had Rugby taken away from them. I to personally thought Rugby 2001 was significantly more playable and fun than 2004, with alot more fluidity to it aswell.

I most definitely played 01 a whole lot more than 04. I had R2001 on the pc and later on bought "Rugby" for the PS2. The graphics were indeed crap but they ironed out many, if not most of the horrible flaws that the pc version had.

The 25 metre heat seeking ankle tap was still there, just not as bad and wingers were no longer being run in from behind by props. Remember the ridiculous difficulty curve of a big tourney like the world cup? By the semis your quickest player had a speed rating of 50%... And the PS2 version had actual rucks whereas the pc version had ppl just bunching togetherl...

I bought JLR the other day because every1 always goes on and on about it. I knew beforehand that the graphics would suck but prepared myself for a feast of intensive rugby action, with it being "the greatest rugby game ever" and all. Erm, no its not. JLR is crap, and I would like one of the JLR desciples to tell me what makes it so great. I personally feel that most ppl look back on it with rose tinted glasses. It's not that special, IMHO.

I tried to like R2004. I played it a lot. That world league thing made it worthwhile but the game itsself was a half-finished pile of rubbish. I tried to look above all the flaws and problems but in the end it was just too much. Random rucks, crap graphics, glitchy gameplay etc...

WCR is overrated to the extreme. There are no basic flaws in it but the gameplay is well... Honestly, who here enjoyed the button bashing? Who here enjoyed the limited sprinting ability? Who here thinks the game has less depth than a kiddies inflatable pool? Got played less than R2004...

I know I sound negative and a bit of a dick, but I have devoted many days to rugby games, good or otherwise...

I have waited so long for a decent rugby game - one where the gameplay is decent and there are no basic flaws in the game engine (when place kicked/dropped, a rugby ball will spin backwards FFS!!!), rules or graphics. Maybe R2005 is the one. Anyway, fingers crossed...

Originally posted by pip@Feb 13 2005, 06:28 PM
I bought JLR the other day because every1 always goes on and on about it. I knew beforehand that the graphics would suck but prepared myself for a feast of intensive rugby action, with it being "the greatest rugby game ever" and all. Erm, no its not. JLR is crap, and I would like one of the JLR desciples to tell me what makes it so great. I personally feel that most ppl look back on it with rose tinted glasses. It's not that special, IMHO.
BINGO! This is what I've been saying for ages! JRL is NOT the best rugby game of all time... it was when it came out, but never since "EA Rugby".

Maybe R2005 is the one. Anyway, fingers crossed...
it is the best game!

<
<

I most definitely played 01 a whole lot more than 04. I had R2001 on the pc and later on bought "Rugby" for the PS2. The graphics were indeed crap but they ironed out many, if not most of the horrible flaws that the pc version had.

The 25 metre heat seeking ankle tap was still there, just not as bad and wingers were no longer being run in from behind by props. Remember the ridiculous difficulty curve of a big tourney like the world cup? By the semis your quickest player had a speed rating of 50%... And the PS2 version had actual rucks whereas the pc version had ppl just bunching togetherl...

I tried to like R2004. I played it a lot. That world league thing made it worthwhile but the game itsself was a half-finished pile of rubbish. I tried to look above all the flaws and problems but in the end it was just too much. Random rucks, crap graphics, glitchy gameplay etc...

WCR is overrated to the extreme. There are no basic flaws in it but the gameplay is well... Honestly, who here enjoyed the button bashing? Who here enjoyed the limited sprinting ability? Who here thinks the game has less depth than a kiddies inflatable pool? Got played less than R2004...

I know I sound negative and a bit of a dick, but I have devoted many days to rugby games, good or otherwise...

I have waited so long for a decent rugby game - one where the gameplay is decent and there are no basic flaws in the game engine (when place kicked/dropped, a rugby ball will spin backwards FFS!!!), rules or graphics. Maybe R2005 is the one. Anyway, fingers crossed...
so what do you think is the best rugby game ever?

I think JLR was

For me it was R2001 on the Ps2. Known simply as Ea Rugby, if the amount of time spent on it is an indicator. More time on that one than any of the others combined...

Originally posted by bippy+Feb 13 2005, 07:03 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bippy @ Feb 13 2005, 07:03 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-pip
@Feb 13 2005, 06:28 PM

so what do you think is the best rugby game ever?

I think JLR was [/b]
Really? for me SJRL was the best rugby game I've played (even if it was league) and then Rugby 2001, WCR, Rugby 2004 and lastly JRL... Sorry but that game is a shocker compared to any other ***le around IMHO.

Originally posted by kinkon89@Feb 13 2005, 07:20 PM
lets all forget about this conversation and watch sum more rugby 2005 footage.
<
<
forget that
lomu is more fluid in gameplay then any of the games mentioned above...if there were a sequel...with improved graphics more indepth tourneys,licensing and a little improvment on gameplay(no super fends,subs,no constant offloads) then we wouldve been playing rite now...its the complete opposite of rugby 04...well except graphics...atleast in lomu u could recognise the players...

Originally posted by THE CHIROPRACTOR101+Feb 13 2005, 09:05 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (THE CHIROPRACTOR101 @ Feb 13 2005, 09:05 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-kinkon89
@Feb 13 2005, 07:20 PM
<

<
forget that
lomu is more fluid in gameplay then any of the games mentioned above...if there were a sequel...with improved graphics more indepth tourneys,licensing and a little improvment on gameplay(no super fends,subs,no constant offloads) then we wouldve been playing rite now...its the complete opposite of rugby 04...well except graphics...atleast in lomu u could recognise the players... [/b]
There is. It's called WCR.
Seriously, JLR isn't a good game by todays standards.
Imagine that it was never released, And then a shock announcement from Rage (swordfish), that the plan to release it tomorrow. You download all the videos, look at all the screenshots, download a demo, would you still by it. And if you did, would you still say it's the best ever rugby game.
It seems like you lot need to get over it.

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.+Feb 13 2005, 08:16 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (.:kaftka:. @ Feb 13 2005, 08:16 PM)</div>
Originally posted by THE CHIROPRACTOR101@Feb 13 2005, 09:05 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-kinkon89
@Feb 13 2005, 07:20 PM
<

<

forget that
lomu is more fluid in gameplay then any of the games mentioned above...if there were a sequel...with improved graphics more indepth tourneys,licensing and a little improvment on gameplay(no super fends,subs,no constant offloads) then we wouldve been playing rite now...its the complete opposite of rugby 04...well except graphics...atleast in lomu u could recognise the players...
There is. It's called WCR.
Seriously, JLR isn't a good game by todays standards.
Imagine that it was never released, And then a shock announcement from Rage (swordfish), that the plan to release it tomorrow. You download all the videos, look at all the screenshots, download a demo, would you still by it. And if you did, would you still say it's the best ever rugby game.
It seems like you lot need to get over it. [/b]
Exactly! As was said above, you lot look back on lomu like it was your first root or something...

if it was availiable for gameboy advance...ive been hookd since 97...ive played it thru and through...wcr wasnt named jlr 2 was it?it didnt hav the same gameplay or feel did it?...no...it was a completely new game and new engine....GAMEPLAY?...im saying no game has lived up to the gameplay of lomu...wcr?no...rugby01?what?...rugby04?wrong....sjrl?rugby LEAGUE....and then theres 05
<
...the new hope

Originally posted by sanzar+Feb 13 2005, 09:22 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Feb 13 2005, 09:22 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-.:kaftka:.
@Feb 13 2005, 08:16 PM

Blah blah blahdee blah
Exactly! As was said above, you lot look back on lomu like it was your first root or something... [/b]
Whoops, didn't see halve the stuff said before.

Originally posted by THE CHIROPRACTOR101@Feb 13 2005, 09:23 PM
if it was availiable for gameboy advance...ive been hookd since 97...ive played it thru and through...wcr wasnt named jlr 2 was it?it didnt hav the same gameplay or feel did it?...no...it was a completely new game and new engine....GAMEPLAY?...im saying no game has lived up to the gameplay of lomu...wcr?no...rugby01?what?...rugby04?wrong....sjrl?rugby LEAGUE....and then theres 05
<
...the new hope
They probably would have called it JLR2 if they were allowed. That way they could possibly ride off the success of the prequel a little bit.
But, if the game did have the same gameplay, there is no way they'd afford to make a sequel.

Oooh! Heres a good idea. Play FIFA '97 for half an hour. Then play FIFA 2005.
See what differences there are in gameplay.

7 years of development, you'd be hoping like hell there'd be a difference in how games are made.

Originally posted by THE CHIROPRACTOR101@Feb 13 2005, 08:23 PM
<
...the new hope
I just don't get how you rate the game play either though... Once I mastered the offload rort I was able to snash the Japan V NZ challenge with EASE! The rucks were incredably unrealistic, the line outs simplistic and a lottery and the passing was mediocre at best... I borrowed this game from a mate in 2003 and I was just no where near as impressed as any of you lot who look at it with rose coloured glasses.

Originally posted by sanzar@Feb 13 2005, 08:22 PM
Exactly! As was said above, you lot look back on lomu like it was your first root or something...
What makes you think we compare rugby to sex?
Sure hate to be in the forwards with you!

Seriously though, I understand that a lot of people are more caught up in the superior graphics and presentation, options, etc on the newer games, but I agree with The Chiropractor.

JLR was a fast action packed game where you needed to be able to rapidly out-think your opposition. Everything since (except button-basher WCR) has been slow, and sluggish when controlling the players.
It maybe alright for those of you not used to playing real rugby where you have to make a decision 1 second after getting the ball, but I definately prefer the pace of JLR.
Sure there were flaws, but it was hard to learn and rewarding with it.
I had a friend who took almost a year to become as good as the rest of the guys I've played it with.
I think the guy who bought a copy recently (above) needs to realise that not every game can be mastered in a week.

Originally posted by C A Iversen+Feb 13 2005, 08:46 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Feb 13 2005, 08:46 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-sanzar
@Feb 13 2005, 08:22 PM

What makes you think we compare rugby to sex?
Sure hate to be in the forwards with you!

[/b]
Yeah good one mate
<

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
I had a friend who took almost a year to become as good as the rest of the guys I've played it with.
I think the gut who bought a copy recently (above) needs to realise that not every game can be mastered in a week.[/b]

That was the problem though... I played it for a little under 3 weeks and completed every mode in the game after figuring out the offload rort and a couple other tricks... Also, you reckon it feels like real life rugby? How often have you seen a play palm off 10 players consecutively or a ball offloaded after a ruck has formed?