• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 22

The game doesn't look that bad and steam has for 32 usd. So not a bad price

I lived on Rugby 04-07 pretty much every free minute.
But I just can't get into modern rugby games yet.

No idea Pichot if for a AAA rugby game would've worked IDK, but with today's graphics just find myself being a lot more picky in what I play.
The controls seem to be improving though.

I've played about 4 hours now. I quite enjoyed the gameplay of Rugby 20, albeit there were a number of flaws throughout it. This definitely does feel like it is an improvement in the formula and I do feel there is a bit more of a skill set to it, instead of flinging the ball and hoping for the best (I'm not all the way there yet, but the set moves work quite well, and the customisation of the play and the team set up is quite useful).

Teams are weird. Some star players in multiple teams are missing. Kolbe is a cover player, but is not present at all within the game. All the URC South African teams are missing their Springboks, which seems a weird decision(likewise some are missing in other teams e.g. Kolbe, Etzebeth). Also some players just have some odd stats/positions. Marcell Coetzee is Irish for example.

I would say worth giving it a go, especially since they didn't gouge on the price, but interested to hear how others are finding it.

I'm with saulan that it is a step in the right direction. The gameplay has definitely improved. You can't just hold down the sprint button and truck people or do the pass to pad, pass to playmaker, spin it wide move that worked every time. You have to be careful with your passes and it stays true to actual strategy. The gameplay seems a little slower which imho is a good thing. I do think people who just want to wing it around are gonna be ****** about this game though. I like that rucking got moved to the left stick. Just feels more natural. My only complaint is that winning defensive rucks is way too easy. I'd be okay with defensive rucks being impossible to win and jackling (which they added) being the only turnover option.

Now on to the really bad. I'd be okay with some generic teams, but the kits they created for the generic teams are so god awful you can't play with them. It's like neon colors and colors that don't even make sense for the countries they are supposed to represent. The English teams are in there generically but in the trivia questions they have real team names. I wonder if they made the game thinking they had the license but something went wrong at the last minute?

I'm with saulan that it is a step in the right direction. The gameplay has definitely improved. You can't just hold down the sprint button and truck people or do the pass to pad, pass to playmaker, spin it wide move that worked every time. You have to be careful with your passes and it stays true to actual strategy. The gameplay seems a little slower which imho is a good thing. I do think people who just want to wing it around are gonna be ****** about this game though. I like that rucking got moved to the left stick. Just feels more natural. My only complaint is that winning defensive rucks is way too easy. I'd be okay with defensive rucks being impossible to win and jackling (which they added) being the only turnover option.

Now on to the really bad. I'd be okay with some generic teams, but the kits they created for the generic teams are so god awful you can't play with them. It's like neon colors and colors that don't even make sense for the countries they are supposed to represent. The English teams are in there generically but in the trivia questions they have real team names. I wonder if they made the game thinking they had the license but something went wrong at the last minute?
I found a lot of code and left over assets from rugby 20 and rugby 18 , they basically just added code for rugby 22 so a lot of real player info for "unliscenced" teams are present in the database and folders - Interesting thing I found while adding the Springboks to my mod is that they refer to DLC? So maybe some teams like the Boks and England will be avaliable as DLC later on but I am adding them as a mod anyway lol

Does the game get stuck for anyone else after they play a match in season mode? I'm doing a season as Ulster in the URC and it gets stuck after every match. The music is playing but the menu doesn't appear.

Releasing a game without full licences but without a player or team editor is madness. Still going to give this one a miss.

To be honest I really don't understand all the complaints. If you don't like something in the game. Take the time learn how to mod and make it what ya want. Graphics are super easy to do, the database takes some work and research but it's doable. Honestly I think Rugby 22 is the best of what's available to us. So let's make the most of it

Friday when I get the game. I'm going to get started on it

To be honest I really don't understand all the complaints. If you don't like something in the game. Take the time learn how to mod and make it what ya want. Graphics are super easy to do, the database takes some work and research but it's doable. Honestly I think Rugby 22 is the best of what's available to us. So let's make the most of it
I play PS4 like a lot of people so you can't mod it. Furthermore we are entitled to complain as the product isn't worth buying because of their design choices. A player or team editor would have really opened the market up.

I play PS4 like a lot of people so you can't mod it. Furthermore we are entitled to complain as the product isn't worth buying because of their design choices. A player or team editor would have really opened the market up.
I can barely run a script on an excel spreadsheet and this man wants me learn how to ******* mod. I don't have a problem downloading mods and installing them but it's too late in my life to learn new skills.

from a gameplay point of view it's very very clunky

So I did some research and apparently bigben games is nacon(the company the made this game). The good news is that they acquired big ant studios about a year ago. Hopefully going forward they can incorporate big ant into the rugby union ***les.

I found a lot of code and left over assets from rugby 20 and rugby 18 , they basically just added code for rugby 22 so a lot of real player info for "unliscenced" teams are present in the database and folders - Interesting thing I found while adding the Springboks to my mod is that they refer to DLC? So maybe some teams like the Boks and England will be avaliable as DLC later on but I am adding them as a mod anyway lol
I read a review before purchasing the game for PS4. In the review they talk about a 2023 Rugby World Cup game is planned. So perhaps they have the rights to additional countries for the up coming World Cup game, (but not for RUGBY22) and this game will serve as the foundation for the forthcoming Rugby World Cup game. IE: a few tweaks to game play and unlock the already installed countries and you have another game. maybe?

Here is the link for the review which states they'll be doing a World Cup game

They removed all the South Africans from the licenced European teams including the cover star that's very odd.

It does seem better than previous versions from the one hour I have played.

Early impressions:

Can't step out of bounds. Can't edit default clubs. IE: English Premiership. When a yellow card is handed out, you don't know what it is for. You can guess but, should we have to? Would be nice to have a Six Nations tournament in the game. Name it Six Countries! Same goes for the Rugby Championship.

It seems that moving up from one level to another has no tactical improvements. Just that your tackles are broken which results in longer runs by the A.I.

Changing tactics on PS4 is a hot mess.

They removed all the South Africans from the licenced European teams including the cover star that's very odd.

It does seem better than previous versions from the one hour I have played.

What I don't get is the inconsistency. Why are DDA, Pollard, Reinach, RG Snyman in the game but Kolbe and all the SA local ones not? It's not like those are borderline Springboks that are included, those are some of our starting XV.

What I don't get is the inconsistency. Why are DDA, Pollard, Reinach, RG Snyman in the game but Kolbe and all the SA local ones not? It's not like those are borderline Springboks that are included, those are some of our starting XV.
The real question is, why is he on the cover but not in the game. That's a pure epic fail moment there.

Is that not the case of an hidden star player who can only get unlocked once you have acquired enough exp. points? Just guessing here...

Latest posts