• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby and the British Empire

I've realised you colonials all have something in common. Your country has its own f***ups and issues, you're obviously all touchy about being white people living on stolen land and as soon as someone like me dares mention it you get all sensitive, toys come out of prams and I must be wrong because I don't live there, while you're all quite happy to sit back and comment on Europe.

Go ahead and negative rep me if you want, this is going the same way as the quota topic, so I'll expect a few snotty PMs as well. [/b]
Yes, a cursory glance at my previous comments proves that I'm in denial that there's anything wrong with my country, which I have claimed time and again is perfect :rolleyes: .

You made an idiotic statement ginger. You called an entire country of people 'racist' based on an erroneous judgement and no actual research or even personal experience. It was a stupid thing to do by anyone's measure, so stop pretending like you're in the right here.

Er..err..*looks around nervously at the awkward atmosphere*

DANCING MAN! DANCING MAN!

<object width="400" height="225"> <param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /> <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /> <param name="movie" value="http://www.vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1211060&amp;server=www.vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /> <embed src="http://www.vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1211060&amp;server=www.vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="225"></embed></object>
Where the Hell is Matt? (2008) from Matthew Harding on Vimeo.

Wow...the shot with the crabs on the beach was amazing. I should give that a try someday.
:D

As a side-note: the crabs danced better than most of the people in those clips.

I think him dancing next to the South Korean Guard in the Demilitarized zone kind of sums up this thread.

Sir Speedy, if we're at a TRF meet up and the atmosphere gets tense as the arguments rise, I think we should just get up and DANCE!

Sir Speedy, if we're at a TRF meet up and the atmosphere gets tense as the arguments rise, I think we should just get up and DANCE!
[/b]
Hell, why should we wait 'til then? IT. CAN. BE. DANCE. TIME. NOW!
*DAnCeS!*

music_1.gif

DANCE-3.gif

LETS FEEL DEM GOOD VIBES*!

*now this is what you call hijacking a thread...

...hyjacking in STYLE!*

jack20dance_4.gif

I think we need to pat ourselves on the back after a job well done.

Lets see what the guys think of all THIS!

Oh yes. w00p w00p, I certainly expect the guys to come back all like, thanking us for being so awesome and such.

IN UVA NUS

sink.jpg

This image* symbolises the thread - going nowhere. :(

*I WANT ONE SO BADLY.

*Starts playing Freddie Mercury's "This could be heaven for everyone" on the LP player*

:banana-doob: :ps3banana: :banana_flip: :xena_banana: :party: :dance2: :dance4: :rock: :bananarock: :devban: :carrot: :banswor: :bana:

<div class='quotemain'>
(SA in fact never had established convict labour) [/b]

Exactly it was established as a free province i laughed whenever the barmy army started to sing "you'll all live in a convict colony" at Adelaide Oval shows how much the poms know about their former colonies f***wits :lol: [/b][/quote]

I grew up in such a 'rubbish dump'. In fact the town of my birth has the highest rate of unemployment in New South Wales, one of the towns we played rugby against has the highest homicide rate. From personal experience I found economic hardship was a factor in people's lives regardless of race, culture or religion. The centralisation of what were local businesses and a booming service industry in tourist centers (mainly cities) means that rural areas suffer (Not to mention the longest drought in recorded history). Race has nothing to do with it.

Then again, you obviously know what you're talking about. You've watched a documentary... [/b]

Exactly!

It doesnt matter who you are in Australia if you live in the country and are of no political importance to those in *insert capital city* parliament then you are doomed a life as a second class citizen.Not to mention if you do not have anything industry that makes revenue as a town and attracts people i.e minerals,tourism etc etc you are doomed to being an commuter town or just poor and underpopulated.If that industry disappears in that town poverty,depopulation etc ensues just look at the coalfields of england post-thatcher if you want to see what i mean.

It depends, if you go to the more developed areas, they remember the time when things like power worked properly and when they had proper sewage, plumbing and clean water. When the roads were properly paved and without potholes and when there was at least some sort of social housing provision. Most importantly, they remember when officials had enough scruples not to accept a bung and follow regulations. My Dad was in Kenya a year or two after Independence and returned in 1994/5 and I think he was more shell shocked than I was because he knew what was there fourty years previously and what wasn't there now. It broke his heart I think.

However, if you live out in the bush, especially somewhere like Zambia which suffered from constant attacks from white Rhodesia, you'll have more negative experiences justifiably because thats what you've had for most of your life.

However, no, we shouldn't go back. Going back does not solve problems, teaching them good governance, linking aid and loans towards fighting corruption and proper and accountable investment and other such measures however does solve problems.

We just need the political will to do that, thats all.

EDIT: And this leads me to my thoughts on British colonialism. Do you want to know why nations like Nigeria, Kenya and Zambia have suffered over the years from misrule and civil war while others like Malaysia and Singapore have gone on to become international success stories? Its because for the latter we had already developed layer upon layer of locally hired and trained civil servants and administrators ready to hand over to who knew the ropes and knew what to do. The former however, we just set up a Parliament, showed the equivelent of the modern office temp how to work the telex machine, had a hasty handover ceremony, said "cheerio" or "g'bye boyo" or "seeye later" (depending on what nationality the Foreign Office rep was) and essentially ran off.

What was worse, when the warning signs came along, like the President/head of the 'revolutionary peoples movement of *insert African region here*' started to become more and more autocratic, we buried our heads in the sand and pretended that nothing was happening. Guys like Mugabe were the darlings of the liberal left in the UK and much of his hate towards the UK has been borne out of the way that the liberal lefties paraded him around British Universities in the 1960s like their performing monkey which was quite frankly revolting and incredibly hypocritical.

We didn't lose an empire, we ran away from it. And it shows in the state that the majority of Commonwealth nations are in today. That has done more damage to Africa than Apartheid ever did. [/b]

I dont think aid does nothing its handouts people can live on handouts countries can't and putting provisions wont do s**t.The west doesnt want countries to develop it wants fiefdom that they can dominate over and has as "allies" because money=power and the west has all the power and if third world countries so long under the foot of the west become rich they can challenge the west power and not be bullied about.Just ask China and India who pull themselves up by the bootstraps and now the west is fearful they didnt get there by aid aid is rubbish its handouts to make the west and bob geldof feel good and keep the west in the position it is now.

Truth be known there is a order and the west wants to keep it that despite the suffering of billions of people.

Latest posts