• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby as Olimpic game

In my opinion they should ditch the fancy stuff like badminton or archery, if they have these things in, why not darts or rock paper scissors. Rugby sevens would be way better if you ask me

well my gosh, they have air rifle shooting for goodnes sake, they really should get 7s in there at some point.

I already saw an add by the IRB about making 7s an olympic sport (I posted about it in the other thread about 7's in the Olympics). I should stress though, 7s and -only- 7s would work in the Olympics, obviously because of the amount of games played but also because it's just shorter and tends to be much less violent then 15s.

obviously when trying to promote the game to world on the biggest stage on earth you want to be putting your best foot forward, plus 7s combines that which a lot of olympic sports do, running very fast, it's a ball game, wrestling (tackling or the ruck area), it -should- prove very popular.

Olympics should only include sports that are played by individuals, or by teams of individuals where the sport has has a capacity to be played individually e.g.

IN: Rowing, Canoeing, Tennis, Badminton, Track & Field etc

OUT: Hockey, Soccer, Team Handball, Basketball, etc

If they keep expanding the sports, next thing you know we'll have Olympic Texas Hold'em Poker

You can't take hockey out of the winter olympics, that just wrong. As for rugby, I would love to see it in the olympics, it would probably be the only event I watch.

You can't take hockey out of the winter olympics, that just wrong. As for rugby, I would love to see it in the olympics, it would probably be the only event I watch. [/b]

Sorry. Should have been more specific.... I meant field hockey not ice hockey

Rugby should be in the Olympics even if it is only 7's and there is no reason why it can't be. I understand that another sport should then be dropped and not to degrade anyone's sport but take something like handball, I mean cone on how many people actually have an interest in this sport compared to rugby around the world?

Even in a place like China more people would turn up to watch rugby than handball. I also think if rugby gets an Olympic spot places like the US, Russia, China and other Asian counties would see more development of the sport.

Rugby needs the Olympics but the Olympics also need rugby!

Rugby is played in the Olympics?

I do not think that reading ... can not find good information

Rugby should be in the Olympics even if it is only 7's and there is no reason why it can't be. I understand that another sport should then be dropped and not to degrade anyone's sport but take something like handball, I mean cone on how many people actually have an interest in this sport compared to rugby around the world?

Even in a place like China more people would turn up to watch rugby than handball. I also think if rugby gets an Olympic spot places like the US, Russia, China and other Asian counties would see more development of the sport.

Rugby needs the Olympics but the Olympics also need rugby! [/b]

Wrong example mate...A lot more ppl follow handball than rugby... :wall:

France, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Germany, Brasil, Egypt, Serbia, Czech Republic etc... That's a very popular sport in Europe.

Nobody cares about field hockey though... :toss:

I beg to differ, I never see any handball related shows or matches on TV. Also does handball have a World Cup or a Sevens Series like the IRB sevens? How many people across the world watch rugby compared to handball? How many people would attend rugby as to handball? Rugby is about the 3rd largest/most popular sport in the world if I'm not mistaken.

I beg to differ, I never see any handball related shows or matches on TV. Also does handball have a World Cup or a Sevens Series like the IRB sevens? How many people across the world watch rugby compared to handball? How many people would attend rugby as to handball? Rugby is about the 3rd largest/most popular sport in the world if I'm not mistaken. [/b]

:lol2tn: No need to get tasty mate...

Guess what ? India is mad about cricket, but I've never seen it on french TV so it must be a lie. Please, what kind of argument is that... :lol2tn:

Handball has a world cup, a european cup, and a euro club comp (since 1956 !).

Handball is followed in :France 60 mil

Germany 80 mil Sweden 8 mil Brasil 183 mil Egypt 78 mil Russia 142 mil.

I think it has the legitimity to be an olympic sport, even if it's not showed on SA TV. :wall:

Geez but you like defending handball it seems. Nothing you say will convince me that handball is bigger than rugby.

I just feel rugby is more of a spectacle and it deserves it's place back in the Olympics.

<div class='quotemain'> I beg to differ, I never see any handball related shows or matches on TV. Also does handball have a World Cup or a Sevens Series like the IRB sevens? How many people across the world watch rugby compared to handball? How many people would attend rugby as to handball? Rugby is about the 3rd largest/most popular sport in the world if I'm not mistaken. [/b]

Guess what ? India is mad about cricket, but I've never seen it on french TV so it must be a lie. Please, what kind of argument is that... :lol2tn:

I think it has the legitimity to be an olympic sport, even if it's not showed on SA TV. :wall:
[/b][/quote]

You're just naming countries and listing their populations, I'd like to see the actual amount of people in each of those countries who follow Handball as a percentage.

Not having a go, just saying...

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> I beg to differ, I never see any handball related shows or matches on TV. Also does handball have a World Cup or a Sevens Series like the IRB sevens? How many people across the world watch rugby compared to handball? How many people would attend rugby as to handball? Rugby is about the 3rd largest/most popular sport in the world if I'm not mistaken. [/b]

[/b][/quote]

You're just naming countries and listing their populations, I'd like to see the actual amount of people in each of those countries who follow Handball as a percentage.

Not having a go, just saying... [/b][/quote]

I listed the population to give an idea about the potential following, compared to Australia NZ Tonga Fiji Ireland Wales etc...

Saying that, I think they should try to have a 7's stuff in the olympics, and ditch sports nobody cares about . (ex field hockey).

Isn't Handball just the worst parts of Touch rugby and Football combined together, all wrapped up in a pair of disturbingly snug pair of shorts?

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

I listed the population to give an idea about the potential following, compared to Australia NZ Tonga Fiji Ireland Wales etc...

Saying that, I think they should try to have a 7's stuff in the olympics, and ditch sports nobody cares about . (ex field hockey).
[/b][/quote]

Field Hockey has huge following, going by you're argument.

South Korea, Pakistan, NZ, China, Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Australia, India all play it and many more countries. Collectively, the potential following is much bigger than Handball.

Anyway, 7's should definitely be given a throw in the Olympics.

I agree field hockey is huge and IMO much bigger than handball. What about equestrian, maybe this can also be chopped I don't see it as a sport. Then there is is volleyball and beach volleyball one to many I think although I would keep beach volleyball just for the hot women.

I agree field hockey is huge and IMO much bigger than handball. What about equestrian, maybe this can also be chopped I don't see it as a sport. Then there is is volleyball and beach volleyball one to many I think although I would keep beach volleyball just for the hot women.
[/b]

I'm all for axing Equestrian. Dressage? In the Olympics? Seriously? :ph34r:

Rhythmic Gymnastics applies here also.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Potential following is nothing its actual follwoing that counts!

Hockey is a proffesional game in many countires and in Pakistan it certainly is. Hockey is played in vast amounts but in the UK for example it has little of no following because the majority of money is pumped into the viewing of football, rugby and cricket. Your argument is not really a good one if you are just listing the population of each country that likes handball, because handball is not the main sport in France? Germany? Spain? Sweeden? and Brazil for example! Are they?

The 7's circuit is now very popular in the world, more teams are competing and it is taken far more seriously than it used to. I think the HK 7's this year had one of it's record gates!

There have been talks and it was mentioned during the Andy Murray's game that some see Tennis as pointless in the Olympics, but If Tennis is in the Olympics along with football surley rugby is not far off from coming back. In about 20 years time I reckon we could see Twenty20 cricket being apart of the Olympics!

Latest posts